NDWoods

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
USA, South Africa
I have someone loading me a new 300 PRC load, and I noticed he had a 350 grain TSX load for the 375. I asked him just generally what the feedback has been and he said it has been great.

Has anyone here used that bullet on buffalo?

It will be 2-5 years before I hunt buffalo again but I am curious after being impressed with the 300 grain TSX.

I believe that @Newboomer employed them successfully against Cape buffalo. The gentleman documented extremely successful results with them.

What would be the benefit of 350 gr TSX? They don’t mushroom any larger than a 300 gr TSX and don’t hit with any more energy since they are lower velocity. There is a good podcast with Kevin Robertson on African hunting bullets and he does talk about the 350 gr TSX there. It wasn’t his recommended bullet in TSX.

Last edited:
I believe that @Newboomer employed them successfully against Cape buffalo. The gentleman documented extremely successful results with them.
Yes, I used 350 gTSX on buf and eland. One shot kill on buf and two shots on eland. Worked real well on sable, too. One shot kill.

The sectional density of 350gr 375 cal is the same as 450gr 458cal. At the mv around 2300 fps, it surely will expand, especially on cape buffalo..... For plains game, stepping down to 300gr is more sensible.

The sectional density of 350gr 375 cal is the same as 450gr 458cal. At the mv around 2300 fps, it surely will expand, especially on cape buffalo..... For plains game, stepping down to 300gr is more sensible.
450gr .458 sectional density is .306....
350gr .375 sectional density is .356....

Huge differance and not comparible....

Both at 2300fps the 375 will outperform the 458 by a long margin....

The sectional density for use on buffalo is what intrigues me even though that is a topic I am still learning about. I did not even know a 350 grain TSX was an option until I saw his offering.

Thank you all for the input. I hope to see more!

I used the 350 g because we were after buf and that old black sable popped up. Didn't have time to reload to my usual 235g pg rounds.

Kevin Robertson likes heavy for caliber bullets, but steered me away from the 350 TSX. He said they don’t expand more than the 300 TSX , but will shoot through more animals because of the added mass. On his recommendation, I used the 350 Woodleigh Weldcore SP HD at 2300 fps, cleanly taking 2 buffalo and a bunch of PG.
IMG_1323.jpeg
IMG_1325.jpeg

I've used them and Kevin Robertson has written extensively about them if loaded properly they behave like a 416 out of a 375 it's the way to go on dangerous game. Exceedingly high SD which translates into penetration. The factory Norma pH ammo developed as a collaboration between the two features 350 grain bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KendraMcKe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani