35 Whelen

I've made several purchases on GB too. Stick to sellers that have a bit of a track record. Factor in the shipping cost and FFL transfer fees. See if you can buy an alternative locally.

What are you planning to hunt with the 35 Whelen and what type of terrain?

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen might has a suggestion or two. Maybe a 243 or 6.5 CM :A Stirring:

I have used both Guns International and Gun Broker. I have found some close enough to home to go look at before buying. Across state line FFL transfer and shipping was still less than sales tax. The sales tax is applied on some online sale depending on your location now.
+1 on look at dealer feed back.
On Guns International, some dealers offer a 3 day no fire inspection. Buyer is responsible for shipping, but better than being stuck with a gun you don’t want.

I've made several purchases on GB too. Stick to sellers that have a bit of a track record. Factor in the shipping cost and FFL transfer fees. See if you can buy an alternative locally.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen might has a suggestion or two. Maybe a 243 or 6.5 CM :A Stirring:

I will be using it in Iowa to hunt deer. Background is Iowa was a shotgun only state. But has changed the rules several times now. The newest rule is the rifle needs to be at least a 35 cal. And have at least 500 ft. Lbs. to be legal. I think the 35 Whelen would be the ideal to fit the bill.

@375 Ruger Fan
If'n he was a gardener I would recommend the man bun and 243, they make great tomato stakes with plenty of tie down points especially if you leave the slong swivels on.
Bob

I am going to show my ignorance. I am looking for a Remington 700 in 35 Whelen. I have never bought a gun on line. And would like to know what are some sites are that can be trusted.

Any advice would be be appreciated.
@jamie D Van Roekel
Mate you can't go wrong with the Whelen just learn to load it to its FULL potential.
Bob

A quick Google for Iowa law changes suggests the 35 Whelen won't be legal.

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

govdelivery-huntingnews_crop.jpg
Dec. 1, 2020
For Immediate Release

DNR seeking comments on proposed laws ahead of the 2021/22 deer hunting season​

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is asking for public input on two laws passed and signed during the 2020 legislative session.
The first is from House File 716 that directs the DNR to develop a list of cartridges approved for use in rifles to hunt deer in Iowa. The following list of cartridges is proposed for inclusion:
.350 Legend.429 DE
.35 Remington.44 Wildey Mag
.356 TSW.44 Remington Magnum
.357 Sig.44 Automag
9×25 Dillion.445 Super Mag
9×23 Winchester.45 Super
.357 Magnum.45 Wildey Mag
.357 Maximum.450 Bushmaster
.357 SuperMag.45 Winchester Magnum
.357 Wildey Mag.451 Detonics
.357/44 Bain & Davis.454 Casull
.375 Winchester.45 Silhouette
.38-55 Winchester.458 Socom
10 mm Auto.460 Rowland
.40 Super.475 Wildey Magnum
.401 Powermag.475 Linebaugh
.400 Cor-Bon.480 Ruger
.38-40 Winchester.50 GI
.41 Remington Magnum.50 Action Express
.41 Wildey Mag.50 Beowulf
.414 SuperMag.500 JRH
.44-40 Winchester.500 Special
.440 Cor-Bon.500 Wyoming Express
Allowable cartridges for use in handguns that were considered for use in rifles but deemed ballistically dissimilar from allowable pistol or revolver cartridges include (these cartridges are NOT proposed for inclusion to the list of allowable rifles to hunt deer in Iowa):
.35 Whelen
.356 Winchester
.358 Winchester
.444 Marlin
.45 Raptor
.45-70 Govt.
.460 S&W Mag
.500 S&W Mag
Hunters interested in additions or subtractions are asked to send their request along with a brief justification to wildlife@dnr.iowa.gov by Dec. 14, 2020.
The second is House File 2455 that requires hunters and dogs to be trained prior to tracking wounded deer.
In order to satisfy this requirement, the DNR proposes to provide a form to document the hunter and the dog’s blood tracking training and experience. This form would be kept on file for three years and the hunter and dog(s) would be eligible to track wounded deer during that period.
Hunters receiving trespassing or other violations in the act of tracking wounded deer will be deemed “not trained” until a formal blood tracking certification is obtained.
Hunters interested in commenting on this proposed approach are asked to send their ideas to wildlife@dnr.iowa.gov by Dec. 14, 2020.

.45 Long Colt didn't make their list. Interesting. I'm curious what they are looking to do there. From the outside it looks like AR fanboys and lever action crowd are free to fill the sky with shell casings. There are some powerful hunting cases in there, but it looks like we are in the 200 yard and in category.

.45 Long Colt didn't make their list. Interesting. I'm curious what they are looking to do there. From the outside it looks like AR fanboys and lever action crowd are free to fill the sky with shell casings. There are some powerful hunting cases in there, but it looks like we are in the 200 yard and in category.
Aren't the approved ones all straight walled cartridges? Makes no sense as to the "distance" a bullet can travel from a straight wall vs. a bottleneck cartridge.

+1 for GunBroker. I've found a lot of great deals on there, and many sellers have lots of history and good feedback to be reliable. Remember to check for added fees or shipping charges, and have an FFL you would trust to receive shipment and process transfer.

If you're close to a Cabela's or (B)Ass Pro, you can look online at their used selection through Gun Library of all locations and they'll ship to your store. You have to pay shipping, but get a chance to look at them before making full purchase. At least you used to be able to do this with them.

Dec. 1, 2020
For Immediate Release

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is asking for public input on two laws passed and signed during the 2020 legislative session.
The first is from House File 716 that directs the DNR to develop a list of cartridges approved for use in rifles to hunt deer in Iowa. The following list of cartridges is proposed for inclusion:
.350 Legend.429 DE
.357 Sig.44 Automag
9×23 Winchester.45 Super
10 mm Auto.460 Rowland
.400 Cor-Bon.480 Ruger
.38-40 Winchester.50 GI
.414 SuperMag.500 JRH
Allowable cartridges for use in handguns that were considered for use in rifles but deemed ballistically dissimilar from allowable pistol or revolver cartridges include (these cartridges are NOT proposed for inclusion to the list of allowable rifles to hunt deer in Iowa):
.35 Whelen
.356 Winchester
.358 Winchester
.444 Marlin
.45 Raptor
.45-70 Govt.
.460 S&W Mag
.500 S&W Mag
What an odd list ... specific to the 35 Whelen, it would easily perform at to well above the capabilities of many listed "approved" cartridges.

Aren't the approved ones all straight walled cartridges? Makes no sense as to the "distance" a bullet can travel from a straight wall vs. a bottleneck cartridge.
.460 and .500 are straight wall and they're out. Yet the .450 Bushmaster is in? What's going on here? Something's screwy for sure.

Think about that last thing you said there. I'm not talking about traveling I'm talking about effective range and drop.

.460 and .500 are straight wall and they're out. Yet the .450 Bushmaster is in? What's going on here? Something's screwy for sure.

Think about that last thing you said there. I'm not talking about traveling I'm talking about effective range and drop.
When I went to Ohio with my neighbor years ago to hunt on his cousin's property, it was supposedly shotgun slugs only for "safety" reasons due to the lack of extended range with a slug vs. a centerfire rifle cartridge in the more populated hunting areas. We brought our bird hunting shotguns, while his cousin and others had scoped, rifled barreled shotguns using saboted cartridges. But, after the fact, I found that the regulations stated you could hunt deer with a 6" handgun, .357 or larger. Really? So, a .44 mag vs. a shotgun slug as far as the distance the projectile travels. Makes no "safety" sense. Since then, Ohio is allowing straight walled "handgun" cartridges to be used in rifles, but I think there is a case length limit?

Dec. 1, 2020
For Immediate Release

.350 Legend.429 DE
.357 Sig.44 Automag
9×23 Winchester.45 Super
10 mm Auto.460 Rowland
.400 Cor-Bon.480 Ruger
.38-40 Winchester.50 GI
.414 SuperMag.500 JRH
.35 Whelen
.356 Winchester
.358 Winchester
.444 Marlin
.45 Raptor
.45-70 Govt.
.460 S&W Mag
.500 S&W Mag
Hunters interested in additions or subtractions are asked to send their request along with a brief justification to wildlife@dnr.iowa.gov by Dec. 14, 2020.
The second is House File 2455 that requires hunters and dogs to be trained prior to tracking wounded deer.
In order to satisfy this requirement, the DNR proposes to provide a form to document the hunter and the dog’s blood tracking training and experience. This form would be kept on file for three years and the hunter and dog(s) would be eligible to track wounded deer during that period.
Hunters receiving trespassing or other violations in the act of tracking wounded deer will be deemed “not trained” until a formal blood tracking certification is obtained.
Hunters interested in commenting on this proposed approach are asked to send their ideas to wildlife@dnr.iowa.gov by Dec. 14, 2020.
Iowa DNR/legislature is some effing retards. 38-55 is ok, but 375 Win, 444 Marlin, and 45-70 aren't???

@Forrest Halley.
Your just jealous because you little 458 Lott wasn't included. May not meet the power requirements.
Bob

Iowa DNR/legislature is some effing retards. 38-55 is ok, but 375 Win, 444 Marlin, and 45-70 aren't???
Yes! .38-55 isn't even a handgun cartridge. The .375 Win IS INCLUDED. Makes me think we're looking at a power level and limiting range based in that. They are both longer cases than a .460 or .500 SW.

The .450 Bushmaster vs. .460 SW was a strange one. The .460 over powered its bullets when it was fired in the rifle, gaining a reputation as a wounder. The .450(.452) Bushmaster came along and fixed that with its bullets. It's essentially rimless vs. rimmed and if loaded with the proper bullets doesn't matter.

@Forrest Halley.
Your just jealous because you little 458 Lott wasn't included. May not meet the power requirements.
Bob
Now you've gone too far you Aussie buzzard! I'll tolerate the 2-4-3 comments and even suffer your colonial annunciation of toe-mah-toe and abide your Townsend Nelson Jim Jones routine about the turdy-phive. However, when you say that the glorious do all cartridge The .458 Lott (praise be and perpetual light shine upon him) is not powerful enough, you've tipped the Bundy too far.:D Drunk:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg