35 Whelen vs 9.3x62

How’s the shoulder now Bob? Completely healed I pray!
@F. Vaccaro
No it stuffed up.. I locks up at 110 degrees on lifting and won't go any further. Doesn't stop me shooting but a pain in the arse for day to day living but that's life. They tried.
I still wake up each day to a wonderful wife and family and can still hunt so life is good.
Bob

How does the Whelen compare to the 318 WR? And would we then take John Taylor's opinion of the capabilities of the 318 as guiding principle?

How does the Whelen compare to the 318 WR? And would we then take John Taylor's opinion of the capabilities of the 318 as guiding principle?
@steve white
To answer your questio the easy way. Compare the 350 Rigby magnum and the 318WR.
The 350 and the Whelen are basically the same cartridges.
The 250 gn 318 has an sd of .364
The 275gn 358 has an sd of .307
The 310gn 358 has an sd of..346
The 375H&H with a 300gn PPSP has a sd of .305 and the 350gn solid has a sd of .307.
As you can see the projectiles in the 318 and 35Whelen have pretty God sd for penetration but lack the power of the 375H&H. That is not to say they won't still out penetrate the 375.
When you work it out let me know.
I intend on using my Whelen on scrub bull loaded with either the 275gn @2,500fps or the 310gn @2,300fps as both have plenty of penetration and somewhere in excess of 3,500fpe so that should ample.
Bob

@F. Vaccaro
No it stuffed up.. I locks up at 110 degrees on lifting and won't go any further. Doesn't stop me shooting but a pain in the arse for day to day living but that's life. They tried.
I still wake up each day to a wonderful wife and family and can still hunt so life is good.
Bob
What is going on with your shoulder Bob? I am do for a replacement... still humming and hawing...

I don't own a .35 Whelen but I consider it a fantastic cartridge. It's roughly the American equivalent of the old .350 Rigby Magnum, which was used (and to be fair, sometimes abused) in Africa from 1908 until about 40 years ago. The 9.3x62 deserves no introduction--it's essentially the Continental equivalent of the .375 H&H, which by the way it predates by 7 years.

While it's fun to theoretically compare ballistics and terminal performance, I don't think there's much to choose between the .35 Whelen and the 9.3x62. If I had to choose a rifle in either caliber, I'd choose it based on the physical niceness of the rifle itself.

I don't own a .35 Whelen but I consider it a fantastic cartridge. It's roughly the American equivalent of the old .350 Rigby Magnum, which was used (and to be fair, sometimes abused) in Africa from 1908 until about 40 years ago. The 9.3x62 deserves no introduction--it's essentially the Continental equivalent of the .375 H&H, which by the way it predates by 7 years.

While it's fun to theoretically compare ballistics and terminal performance, I don't think there's much to choose between the .35 Whelen and the 9.3x62. If I had to choose a rifle in either caliber, I'd choose it based on the physical niceness of the rifle itself.
Or bullet availability?

i own and shoot several 35 whelens, if you reload cases are every whare (30-06 cases) and good .358 bullets are easy to come by at most gun shops here(usa), not so much 9.3x62 cases or .366 bullets, they can be ordered tho, and stocked up on. i am working on a project rifle right now, a custom rifle that was a 9x57 and wrongly rechambered into a 9.3x62, it a total reloader rifle. i pulled the bullets from factory norma 232 gr shells and neck sized the the 9.3x62,s to .358 and seated the 225 sierra spbt .358 bullets into the 9.3x62 cases, leaving the factory powder in the cases. they shot into 3 shot 1.5" group at 100 yrds at alittle over 2600 fps.

DSCN1247.JPG
DSCN1243.JPG
DSCN1244.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
What is going on with your shoulder Bob? I am do for a replacement... still humming and hawing...
@Rick Cox
Like any surgery there's a risk it may not work, unfortunately mine was one of the and the shoulder now locks up and causes Moe pain than before the operation.
I could go back for another go but it could stay the same, get worse or fix it. I personally don't like the odds.
DONT take my experience as what will happen to you. It depends on the extent of the surgery.
Weigh up all the options and decide what is BEST FOR YOU. It is a choice only you can make.
Am I sorry I had it done. NO because at least I tried.
Bob

@F. Vaccaro
Bob
Great outlook Bob. When life hands you lemons make lemonade. When my Dad was going through his second open heart surgery he told me" life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it". You are an inspiration to me Bob. Keep shooting and hunting. Give your wife my best she must be a peach.

@steve white
To answer your questio the easy way. Compare the 350 Rigby magnum and the 318WR.
The 350 and the Whelen are basically the same cartridges.
The 250 gn 318 has an sd of .364
The 275gn 358 has an sd of .307
The 310gn 358 has an sd of..346
The 375H&H with a 300gn PPSP has a sd of .305 and the 350gn solid has a sd of .307.
As you can see the projectiles in the 318 and 35Whelen have pretty God sd for penetration but lack the power of the 375H&H. That is not to say they won't still out penetrate the 375.
When you work it out let me know.
I intend on using my Whelen on scrub bull loaded with either the 275gn @2,500fps or the 310gn @2,300fps as both have plenty of penetration and somewhere in excess of 3,500fpe so that should ample.
Bob
Both will work Bob, the heavy pill might be better in close!

Great outlook Bob. When life hands you lemons make lemonade. When my Dad was going through his second open heart surgery he told me" life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it". You are an inspiration to me Bob. Keep shooting and hunting. Give your wife my best she must be a peach.
@MS 9x56
Thank you for the kind words mate.
As someone once said if you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel get off your arse and go to the end of the bloody tunnel and turn it on.
You either sit around mopeing about things or do something about it. No one is going to do it for you.
Your dad is correct in what he said ,awise man.
Bob

I was reading through the "If the 9.3x62 became the new legal minimum?" thread and I saw a couple of people talked about the 35 Whelen. I now have rifles in both 35 Whelen and 9.3x62 and am looking closer at them and they are ballistically the same.

I looked at the Nosler reloading information on line, both are shot from 26" barrels, which is longer than most people will use but at least they are the same for comparison.

9.3x62 250 grain, Sectional Density =0.267
56.0 gr of IMR 4064 for 2582 fps, this is a max load and the highest velocity

35 Whelen 250 grain, Sectional Density =0.279
58.0 gr of IMR 4064 for 2637 fps, this is a max load and the highest velocity

The 9.3x62 is .006" in diameter bigger and the 35 Whelen has a 0.012 higher section density and has about a 50 fps advantage. I may be wrong and some loonies are going to correct me, they are essentially the same. I guess I never fully realized this until I took the time to compare.

Anything that can be said about the 9.3x62 can be said about the 35 Whelen and vice versa. Am I missing something?
A few months ago, I had a personal debate on the difference / similarity of these two cartridges. I think the 9.3x62 has some advantage potential with heavier bullets. It is a slightly larger diameter and normally slightly more powder capacity. If for use in Africa, I give the advantage to the 9.3x62, considering legality of use and availability.

My research was a me specific project. The rebore of an existing stainless 19.5", heavier barrel 30-06. My intent is closer range North America / Alaska use. Expected closer range is from 25-100 yards / meters. I also wanted a bit more bullet than the 30-06 provides.

I decided on the 35 Whelen. I have the dies, brass, and bullets. The rifle, I am still waiting being bedded at the gunsmith. Then it is off to be rebored.
The .008" greater diameter, offered minuscule weight loss for the barrel. I have larger bores and cartridges if an African hunt develops.
Though, I had located 9.3x62 brass, the 35 Whelen brass was easier to find at the time. And I have ample 30-06 brass if brass becomes and issue.

I think the Hammer Bullets' 245 gr Shock Hammer should give me a safe & easily achievable 2450 fps from the shorter barrel. We shall see. At 2450 fps, this will still be an effective 200 yard combination for anything in Alaska.

A few months ago, I had a personal debate on the difference / similarity of these two cartridges. I think the 9.3x62 has some advantage potential with heavier bullets. It is a slightly larger diameter and normally slightly more powder capacity. If for use in Africa, I give the advantage to the 9.3x62, considering legality of use and availability.

My research was a me specific project. The rebore of an existing stainless 19.5", heavier barrel 30-06. My intent is closer range North America / Alaska use. Expected closer range is from 25-100 yards / meters. I also wanted a bit more bullet than the 30-06 provides.

I decided on the 35 Whelen. I have the dies, brass, and bullets. The rifle, I am still waiting being bedded at the gunsmith. Then it is off to be rebored.
The .008" greater diameter, offered minuscule weight loss for the barrel. I have larger bores and cartridges if an African hunt develops.
Though, I had located 9.3x62 brass, the 35 Whelen brass was easier to find at the time. And I have ample 30-06 brass if brass becomes and issue.

I think the Hammer Bullets' 245 gr Shock Hammer should give me a safe & easily achievable 2450 fps from the shorter barrel. We shall see. At 2450 fps, this will still be an effective 200 yard combination for anything in Alaska.
@Idmay375
The 35 Whelen is a truly awesome cartridge that requires hand loading to get the best out of it.
Depending on your barrel lenght you should get from 2,500 to 2700 with newer powders like CFE223.
There's plenty of posts here on loading the Whelen to its potential
If you really want to reach out and touch gave a 225gn Accubond at 2,800 to 2,900fps with either varget or CFE223 will do the job
Bob

@Idmay375
The 35 Whelen is a truly awesome cartridge that requires hand loading to get the best out of it.
Depending on your barrel lenght you should get from 2,500 to 2700 with newer powders like CFE223.
There's plenty of posts here on loading the Whelen to its potential
If you really want to reach out and touch gave a 225gn Accubond at 2,800 to 2,900fps with either varget or CFE223 will do the job
Bob
Bob,
I think 2500 fps might be very possible with the 245 gr Hammer out of the 19.5" barrel & the CFE 223. I have a fair supply of it that I bought for this project.

If the re-bore turns out well, this should make a handy little rifle.

It is a slightly larger diameter and normally slightly more powder capacity.

Looking in the Nosler 9 Manuel the water capacity of the 35 Whelen and the 9.3X62 is near identical. With 250 grain bullets the Whelen case holds 62.2 grains of water and the 9.3X62 holds 62.5 grains of water

Looking in the Nosler 9 Manuel the water capacity of the 35 Whelen and the 9.3X62 is near identical. With 250 grain bullets the Whelen case holds 62.2 grains of water and the 9.3X62 holds 62.5 grains of water
Oranges to apples.
Nosler appears to list the remaining case volume after a bullet is loaded.

My actual full to overflowing capacity for a Lapua 9.3x62 case is around 75.6 grains of water.

Yep, type bullet and seating depth will dictate the actual available case capacity.
But, the empty 9.3x62 brass has a bit more volume.

Speer lists average case capacity of water:
35 Whelen, 72.6 grains
9.3x66, 77.0 grains

Bob,
I think 2500 fps might be very possible with the 245 gr Hammer out of the 19.5" barrel & the CFE 223. I have a fair supply of it that I bought for this project.

If the re-bore turns out well, this should make a handy little rifle.
@Idmay375
Possibly more as the bigger bores seem to lose less per inch.
Glad you laid in a good supply of CFE223.
Bob

I think both are great cartridges and will handle similar game 95% of the time. It’s like comparing the 270 win with the 30-06. If your load is only marginal for the game you are pursuing its best to go up in cartridge or caliber. I love my 9.3x64 Breneke which puts out the same energy as the 375, but if I’m hunting something that can either stomp or eat me I’d choose my 375 Ruger every time.
Ken

I think both are great cartridges and will handle similar game 95% of the time. It’s like comparing the 270 win with the 30-06. If your load is only marginal for the game you are pursuing its best to go up in cartridge or caliber. I love my 9.3x64 Breneke which puts out the same energy as the 375, but if I’m hunting something that can either stomp or eat me I’d choose my 375 Ruger every time.
Ken
@K95
Is there that much difference with the 64 loaded with 320s and the 375 loaded with 300s or 350s.
If it can stomp or eat me I want a big as I can comfortably manage.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,