35 Whelen vs 9.3x62

@Capebuffalo
No doubt the 338 WM is a superior choice for longer range shots, where appropriate. That's why I bought my Sako A5 about four decades ago. I just no longer enjoy shooting it. Sucks to be old!

@Capebuffalo
No doubt the 338 WM is a superior choice for longer range shots, where appropriate. That's why I bought my Sako A5 about four decades ago. I just no longer enjoy shooting it. Sucks to be old!
Shootist,
I don't know what is the weight of your rifle, but some companies just make their 338 rifles too light, and that is not somethings that needs experimentation with ...I feel mid bores need to weigh around 8-8.5 lbs to make it more fun to shoot. The older rifles also didn't have glass bedding and free floating barrels either, and then we have the muzzle breaks and suppressors nowadays...How privileged are we!

Unfortunately the brake on my 338WM is why I'm nearly deaf. Tried it without, when first thinking about a Plains Game hunt and it was a no go. My 30-06 worked close to perfect, however. The 9.3x62 gets the nod in 6 weeks.

With the heavy stuff I think the 338 ultra is better. The 338-378 is just too big and heavy for mountain hunting, I tried it once and that was enough. I don’t carry my rifle on my shoulder, it’s in my hands.

With the heavy stuff I think the 338 ultra is better. The 338-378 is just too big and heavy for mountain hunting, I tried it once and that was enough. I don’t carry my rifle on my shoulder, it’s in my hands.
Yeh, the ultra's work well if you are into the 800+ yard shooting....I am ok with the WM...I understand that if you carry it in your hands that you would prefer a lighter rifle...

My 35w is just too pretty to chance all those rocks and shale slides, but my buddy’s kid use my first one to take an elk and wreck my rifle.
Although I grew up in Africa and are from German decent, I think the 35 Whelen is a better all round cartridge than the 9.3x62...for various reasons.

Although I grew up in Africa and are from German decent, I think the 35 Whelen is a better all round cartridge than the 9.3x62...for various reasons.
@Capebuffalo
What reasons mate. I do agree though
Bob

@Capebuffalo
What reasons mate. I do agree though
Bob
Bob,

2 Great cartridges! Although the 9.3 had more exposure to Africa in the past and is well known there, the 35 can do the same on dangerous game, where allowed, with the right bullet in the 280 grain range (heard a few success stories of people who took buffalo with the 35). Both are actually excellent larger plains game cartridges, especially in the bushveld areas where shooting ranges are shorter (using 250-286 grain bullets), but the difference is on smaller plains game and North American game/Australian game, where a smaller bullet is necessary and more efficient. This is where the 35 shines with 160-225 grain bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg