35 Whelen vs 338-06

I seriously doubt you are going to find a better deal than purchasing the Mauser in 9.3 x 62 off Gunbroker. It is a good manufacturer, the right caliber and left handed. JUMP ON IT!!!
If I hadn't just bought the Tikka...

They had a Sauer 202, I think, in lefty 9.3 about 18 mos ago for "only" 1800. Should have bought that one.

does it have to be a blued barrel, or can they rebarrel SS, too? and if I go that route, do you have a particular recommendation on make (Savage vs Ruger vs Remington vs Winchester)? I really like my Savages, and considering that it'll ultimately be something that's going to get used in Alaska, I'd prefer SS

J.E.S. website: http://35caliber.com/index.html
Smaller operator so you might have to leave a message and he'll get back with you. Not sure about stainless. I think any rifle you listed would be fine, but once again I would defer to Jesse. If it was me, I'd be looking for an economy grade LH Model 700 or Model 70 to start with. A rebore on his website is listed from $225-$250. There's no way you can get a rebarrel done for that.

As I mentioned, my 338-06 was originally a 30-06 and its shoots without any troubles. Costs for reloading the 338 and 35 isn't much different. Both can be made from 30-06 brass (in a pinch), powder and bullet selections are broad and varied.

@rookhawk - RATS!!!! I just bought a rifle about a month ago. My wife would shoot me with it if I bought another one today, but cripes-amighty I'm tempted on that Mauser already chambered in 9.3!

A.) it's a Mauser, not some also-ran action type

B.) when you're done with it, it will have some value

C.) you were going to spend more than that on just gunsmithing making your Frankenstein gun.

D.) hide it from your wife

:)

J.E.S. website: http://35caliber.com/index.html
Smaller operator so you might have to leave a message and he'll get back with you. Not sure about stainless. I think any rifle you listed would be fine, but once again I would defer to Jesse. If it was me, I'd be looking for an economy grade LH Model 700 or Model 70 to start with. A rebore on his website is listed from $225-$250. There's no way you can get a rebarrel done for that.

As I mentioned, my 338-06 was originally a 30-06 and its shoots without any troubles. Costs for reloading the 338 and 35 isn't much different. Both can be made from 30-06 brass (in a pinch), powder and bullet selections are broad and varied.

Already checked out his website, just haven't called him yet.

C.) you were going to spend more than that on just gunsmithing making your Frankenstein gun.

to be perfectly transparent, I bought a Tikka and a PPQ-M2 a month ago. If I were still married to my ex-wife, yeah, I'd hide something from her in a heartbeat :ROFLMAO: :sneaky:. She is the classic Cannot Understand Normal Thinking.

My wife now...she's my sugar-pie honey-bunch.

Technically, the one at gunbroker is a Zastava, but who's going to mewl over a small detail like that? I sure wouldn't.

I too shoot a rifle left handed and I use a T/C Encore in 35 Whelen and it's my go to rifle for everything. With the exception of the 200 grn Hornady Superformance load the Whelen is comfortable to shoot in my T/C. I'm not recoil shy so I don't have any issues with the Superformance load (Its deadly on deer and hogs). With factory loads from 180 - 310 grain the Whelen covers all your hunting needs. My T/C sports a Nikon with their BDC recital and it easily turned my Whelen into a 300 yard rifle. Meaning no disrespect to my father's (@Shootist43) beloved 6.5x55 the 35 Whelen is a much better round for Africa.

Would buying a left handed CZ 550 magnum in .375 H&H and loading it down to Whelen velocity when appropriate be something that could fit the bill?
If so, you then will not have to buy the .375 that we all simply must buy, upon our first visit to Africa.
Yours will already have been bought and be resting quietly in the toy box beforehand.

Would buying a left handed CZ 550 magnum in .375 H&H and loading it down to Whelen velocity when appropriate be something that could fit the bill?
If so, you then will not have to buy the .375 that we all simply must buy, upon our first visit to Africa.
Yours will already have been bought and be resting quietly in the toy box beforehand.

Probably would go with a Ruger in 375 Ruger or 416 Ruger if I stepped up to a large bore.

That could work fine. The only negative would be the weight of the rifle. That would likely add a pound or two depending on stock choice.

Another idea. If Savage has at some point chambered the 35, then their custom shop may be able to assist you.

I have the 8x68S (BRNO 602), 35 Whelen (Rem 700), & 9.3x62 (CZ550 FS). The all shoot really well. Comes down to personal preference. My favourite will always be the 8x68. My 35 Whelen is a tack driver with Sierra 225gr bullets. I don't have any experience with the 338-06. Those that do shoot it like the calibre. My 375H&H shoots really well as well but then so does my 404 Jeffery. The argument will always be I like this but he likes that. It's what you feel comfortable with and can shoot well. If you notice int his thread the calibres are getting bigger the more the thread evolves. LOL Do you see a trend?

I have the 8x68S (BRNO 602), 35 Whelen (Rem 700), & 9.3x62 (CZ550 FS). The all shoot really well. Comes down to personal preference. My favourite will always be the 8x68. My 35 Whelen is a tack driver with Sierra 225gr bullets. I don't have any experience with the 338-06. Those that do shoot it like the calibre. My 375H&H shoots really well as well but then so does my 404 Jeffery. The argument will always be I like this but he likes that. It's what you feel comfortable with and can shoot well. If you notice int his thread the calibres are getting bigger the more the thread evolves. LOL Do you see a trend?

Yessir, I have noticed that, and it is quite funny.

sgt,

if you bought the 9.3 x 62 now, you could sell the tikka now, or later at a small or no loss. velo dogs idea of a 375 of some kind is pretty solid too. it will do pretty much anything the .338 or 35 whelen will do, only better. i have a 375 ruger, love it, HOWEVER, the 375 h&h has MUCH more access to versatile factory ammo, if you are going to hand load, the ruger in a 20" barrel is light, handy, shorter bolt throw, feeds well, etc.

i would not try to talk you out of your custom rifle idea, most of the gun nuts on here have had several (me too) but typically one loses 1/2 their money on a custom rifle when selling. unless you never sell, :)

sgt,

if you bought the 9.3 x 62 now, you could sell the tikka now, or later at a small or no loss. velo dogs idea of a 375 of some kind is pretty solid too. it will do pretty much anything the .338 or 35 whelen will do, only better. i have a 375 ruger, love it, HOWEVER, the 375 h&h has MUCH more access to versatile factory ammo, if you are going to hand load, the ruger in a 20" barrel is light, handy, shorter bolt throw, feeds well, etc.

i would not try to talk you out of your custom rifle idea, most of the gun nuts on here have had several (me too) but typically one loses 1/2 their money on a custom rifle when selling. unless you never sell, :)

I've had to sell enough guns in my life to make ends meet...selling guns now just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And it's not that I really WANT a custom gun, but if I want something north of 30 and south of 375, but isn't one of the common 33s, AND LH, I don't have a lot of options.

Kind of a big question here because I'm a lefty.

First, any appreciable difference in terminal performance between the two, IRL, not just on paper?

Second, I'm going to have to start with a LH .30-06 and re-barrel it (that I'm aware of, nobody offers either cartridge in a LH rifle).

Shaw offers a 35 W barrel for the Savage, but the reviews are mixed. The bad reviews say that the Shaw barrels get fouled with copper far too easily. Anyone have experience with Shaw barrels? The high point for the Shaw barrels is that they do not require a trip to a gunsmith to install the barrel.

So my choices really come down to what I consider "the Big 4" for American rifles (because I KNOW they're all available in LH 30-06, and I'm trying not to spend $2000 on a rifle once I'm all in):
1. Savage 110 or 116 (OK, they're Canadian, but close enough)
2. Rem 700
3. Win 70
4. Ruger 77
If you have access to a lefty Savage in 06 your half way there,you can contact Apache Arms and buy one of their Stainless barrels in a sporter or Heavy Sporter and you will have a great and inexpensive Shooter, you can pick up a Boyds or in my case the factory wood, I think my 338-06 is probably one of the most accurate rifle I own, brass is EZ to Mod or buy. Picking up a Nice Remm in 35 Whelen would be another great choice, This group was shot at 200meters with a cheapie Nikon prostaff. It's probably a 6-8 week wait for an Apache Arms Barrel but worth it. You could also try Green Mountain for barrels the wait might be less
P1010027.JPG

sgt,

i understand. the 9.3 is a classic. a wonderful round slightly less powerful than a 375, pretty close, but lighter in wt. just a pure classic safari round.

in ballistic terms, a .338 250gr bullet has more sectional density than a 35 whelen 250 gr.

in ease of cartridge availability (factory loads), the 35 is hands down EASIEST, the 9.3 close second. 338-06 do they sell em over the counter?

so, gotta look in the mirror and decide WHY you really want it. then, buy it and don't look back. pro-rated over the life of the gun, differences in cost are pennies. so, figure out why you want a 33-375 and git r done!

a pretty good problem to have, i say!!

I have never fired or owned a .35 Whelen but I have used the .338/06 extensively and I really like it. I have also shot the 9,3x62 quite a bit and I really like it as well. If you hand load the .338/06 would be my choice, if you don't then the 9,3x62. I know that the .35 Whelen and the 9,3x62 are both common re-bores from the .30/06 but I'm not sure about the .338/06. I'm sure the Whelen would work as well as the other 2 especially with the newer premium bullets on the market but I have no experience with it so can't offer any advice.

to the original question, for years the better choice of 35 Whelen / 338/06 would have been the 338/06 primarily because of the vast variety of .338" bullets. However since the 35 w has been introduced as a factory cartridge and bullet makers are structuring their bullets for something more than the 35 rem, 358 Win the choice comes down to which one you like best. Their performance within 300 yards is virtually identical, depending on bullet gr and BC.

Ray B, a question, but first an observation. I thought that the 338-06 and a Norma 308 Mag. were essentially the same. That being said, the bullet used is 30 cal i.e. 308". So I think you ment to say that the 30 cal has a vast selection of bullet weights. Is that correct or am I wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois