Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
So I just picked up a 35 Whelen - need some recommendations for ammo. To start with, I don't reload (as of yet) so really looking for good factory loads to try (or custom loaded stuff i.e. Hendershots etc).

180 gr TSX Barnes Vortex - sub moa

Doubletap loads a 310gr Woodleigh Weldcore that gives over 3600 ft/lbs of muzzle energy if you're looking for pure thump.
That would be some thump for sure!

And as someone pointed out on my other thread for 7mm Rem Mag ammo, it might help to put what game I would potentially be pursuing. I hadn't really planned on buying this rifle technically speaking (got to love auctions), but I could see it being used on mule deer or elk up in the mountains if I ever make it to Utah/Colorado like I hope.

I bought some 200 gr. Hornady Superformance - was just going to blow them off to get some reloading brass, but they shot great (accuracy wise) so we have been using them for deer hunting - so far results have been real good, and reasonably priced compared to most loads for that caliber.

We reload and prefer to use Nosler Partions (250's) for moose, elk and bear and Accubonds (225's) - for deer - I believe Nosler offers both these premium bullets in their factory stuff.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the 225's (either Partions or Accubonds) for elk, moose and bears. Most of our elk, bear and moose hunting up here is close range stuff, the reason we favor the 250's

I started shooting ballistic tips many years ago to get the plastic tip my 700 classic model has a box magazine large enough to put a 375 H&H in it and the 35 Whelen has too much room and the lead tips were getting battered bad to the point that copper jacket would shear lead off.

I knew that the Ballistic Tips were coming apart inside deer but when the empty jacket and lead core were both passing through deer it made for some very dramatic kills.
Accubonds when they replaced ballistic tips just made a little smaller exit wound. I have taken approximately 20-25 deer with 225 never finding a bullet in a deer. Even at 350yards or stem to stern and stern to stem always a pass through.
I use the 225 because I sometimes find myself looking over fields that can offer shots to 400+ I draw the line at 350.
Shawn

Dittos on the use of Nosler Custom loads using the 250 Gr. Partition AND the use of 225 Nosler Accubonds. Both are devastating on game. I would not bother using a 180 Gr. bullet in the Whelen. That caliber made its' "bones" with 250 Gr bullets. My research showed that the 225 Gr. bullets hit a little harder than the 250s if there is a little distance involved. Someone mentioned using Hornady's 200 Gr. Superformance. That load does an awesome job on deer and hogs. Unfortunately it beats the he** out of your shoulder. I hand load, for our African safari last year I used 225 Gr Barnes TSX. All but a couple of the animals taken with our Whlens from Warthog to Eland were one shot kills. Mostly DRTs and or short "dead" runs i.e. 50 yds. or less.

subscribed.. I have a whelen I need to feed too..

I picked up a couple of boxes of hornady superperformance 200gr when Gander Mountain marked their ammo down 40% a couple of weeks ago.. know nothing about it.. but I figured $21 a box it would at least be good for deer/pigs/range ammo..

The intent is for the wife to use the whelen for her eland hunt she is planning.. and possibly for moose/elk.. I was thinking the barnes factory vor-tx in 200 gr might be the right medicine for those critters... it seems a bit hard to find though.. most places stock the 180 gr vor-tx.. but I have found very few that stock the 200 gr..

Reloading is always an option too.. If I go that route I might step up to the 225 gr barnes tsx.. I think that would be pretty devastating eland medicine traveling at about 2600fps..

I can highly recommend two loads for the 35 Whelen, the 200 gr Hornady Superformance for Deer and Hog and the 250 gr Nosler Partition for African PG. IMO the 35 Whelen and the 250 gn NP is a match made in heaven. The NP retains about 65% of is weight and will not normally exit the offside of the larger African PG, coming to rest just under the skin in the far side. Personally I like a bullet that expends all of its energy in the animal. If you prefer two holes in your animals use the 225 gr Accubond from Federal, my brother used that load in his 35 Whelen to great effect in Africa and none of his bullets where recovered.

After we finished hunting two of the PH's in camp challenged my brother and me to a shooting contest, the shots ranged from 100 to 300 yards and they where using a .243 and a .270, when the shooting stopped and the smoke cleared my 35 Whelen and the 250 gr NP won the day (my brother and his 225 gr Accubonds took second).

My gun also liked the 225 gr TBBC from federal but I have not taken any game with that load to date but the TBBC is a great bullet.

I'm currently planning my second safari and the 35 Whelen and the 250 gr NP will once again stalk the Dark Continent.

I started shooting ballistic tips many years ago to get the plastic tip my 700 classic model has a box magazine large enough to put a 375 H&H in it and the 35 Whelen has too much room and the lead tips were getting battered bad to the point that copper jacket would shear lead off.

Shawn

We have the same rifle - special ordered it as soon as it was announced back in the 80's - it has shot hundreds of rounds of all sorts of bullets, have never had any problem with the tips getting deformed

I'm thinking that you may have some other problem - like a lazy spring in your magazine, not putting enough tension on the cartridges, allowing them to move around enough to cause your problems. Might be worth a check ...

I will look into that the plastic tips on accubonds even get a little tiny flat on them if they hang around in magazine for a couple shots.
Shawn
I got mine in 1998 new in the box made in 87-88. It was in a tiny gun shop collecting dust. I took it home and loved it for 18 years then my son asked for it for a graduation present I guess I'm a pushover it's his but I still get to make its food and check its health.

Thank you all for all the recommendations! It's a big help. Now I just need to get some glass on the rifle so I can start testing some of these options

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg