308 Winchester Caliber Opinions...

I have a savage 99 in 308 and everything I shoot with it dies quickly. The problem with many Americans is they want a lazer beam that shoots flat to a 1000 yards. But truly how many shots has the average hunter ever taken past 300 yards or meters? I just use what works for me. The 308 has been working very well for 70 years or so. Good enough for me.

Picked up the stainless / laminated 18.7”. Now to find some 3 and 5 round magazines.
I am no fan of the looks of the adjustable length of pull stocks on this rifle or the Guide rifles. I do see their purpose and practical use. But, butt ugly to me the shape of the butt.
I think this is a handy little rifle. The 18.7” is about 20.5” with flash suppressor. My view of the flash suppressor is it’s main purpose is to provide protection to the barrel crown.
I think I will like this rifle. Though, definitely have to buy some 3 and 5 round magazines for use.
I use MagPul 5 round 308 AICS mags in mine. No issues in feed and function.

I have a savage 99 in 308 and everything I shoot with it dies quickly. The problem with many Americans is they want a lazer beam that shoots flat to a 1000 yards. But truly how many shots has the average hunter ever taken past 300 yards or meters? I just use what works for me. The 308 has been working very well for 70 years or so. Good enough for me.
Hahahahaha... very interesting question!...
The same thing here in my country around the campfire and the coffe chats...
"I want a flat shot..." but the 95% of the hunters NEVER TRIED the long range hunting...
And then? Why those speak a lot about long shots?
I never understan this

Its a classic caliber, I have a Savage mod. 99F in .308 with 3X Leupold for my saddle gun when I hunt deer and elk horseback, its flat and comfortable under my right knee and quick to come out of the scabbard and get on the ground and start shooting. If Im walking I like the 30-06, mine is a pre 64 fwt mod. 70 with a 2x7x28 Leupold. Balistically the same as the .308, and Ive killed a number of both deer and elk with both, and they suit me just fine...

CFE2D143-2B0C-482D-9624-0C84213B3869.jpeg

Used, Ruger Hawkeye, 308 Winchester, 22” barrel, 1-10 rate of twist

I rescued this rifle from the local gun shop. This is going to be one of those my-rifles. The other 2 fairly recently purchased 308 Winchesters will be rehomed to family members. Actually this is the rifle that I was looking for and had given up on locating when I purchased the stainless Ruger Scout Rifle and then the M70 stainless Classic featherweight.
This is Certainly nothing fancy, but functional for my purposes. It took me quite sometime to locate reloading dies and brass for a 308 Winchester. That was finally accomplished as well as a sufficient supply of Barnes 165 & 168 grain TTSX bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbbyRigby0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you