.308 rifle recommendations?

Kimber makes a great rifle, I have 3. One is a wood stock .25-06. They are accurate. They have a 3 position safety. I haven’t had any issues.

One suggestion: I’d you really want a different rifle, like the Merkel or an R8, better off just saving and waiting. I spent more money than the cost of the R8 in buying other rifles, even though I really just wanted to get an R8.
I love the R8 but also love different guns and am trying to try some new stuff. One day I’ll get an R8 especially if I start traveling more so I can pack that and an extra barrel for a different caliber. For now just want something nice I can play with without going too much overboard.

Mauser M12, Sauer 101 - but they are on long actions (they only do one action length, like Tikka) - where the Sako various action lengths are more closely matched to cartridge
How big of a deal is it to be shooting 308 out of a long action?

Practically not much - just a little bit more distance to cycle the bolt, a little more weight.

For me probably more an OCD thing than any meaningful impact :rolleyes:

The other option of course is going the whole hog and doing a nice custom '98!

I'm +1 on the Sako recommendation. I just picked up a 85 Bavarian Carbine in .308 but haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet. I've never heard of a Sako with accuracy issues and they are all MOA-guaranteed from the factory, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The 308s are built on their short action, and like all Sakos I've ever handled, it is buttery smooth. Fit and finish is superb--I ordered it from the Sako Custom Shop through @JD Outfitters (Jerry Noblin) and am very happy with the high grade wood on the stutzen stock.

Last edited:
That's probably dependent on you.
My Howa .223 has a block in the back of the mag well because they are probably a medium length.
Sako used to do 5 matched action lengths.
Tikka are all made on the one action with blocked out magazines.
Lithgow are a pretty big action that uses a blocked magazine to run .223

With a Tikka the magazine is restrictive in .308. some people change/modify the bolt stop and run a .30-06 length magazine to seat bullets out further. .

Set up right the long action could make a versatile .308 so long as you can accept the slightly longer stroke and cycle time. It's probably negligible in real world hunting. Even for a follow up shot.

I'll chime in on the suppressor issue, as someone has already mentioned it. The Tikka T3 muzzle diameter is 16mm, or .630". Kimber muzzles are .560". Much more meat in the Tikka muzzle for threading.

To avoid muzzle swelling, the Kimber would need to be cut with a very shallow thread. I'm not a machinist but someone who is could work out what to do. Contrary to my long held belief, .1" muzzle wall thickness(not including the thread) is not enough to be sure of avoiding swellin with modern cartridges and pressures.

With a Tikka the magazine is restrictive in .308. some people change/modify the bolt stop and run a .30-06 length magazine to seat bullets out further. .
The Tikka mags are long enough for 2.810"(?) SAAMI OAL rounds so no more restrictive than many factory 308 mags. Waters Rifleman 308 family mags are a couple of mmm longer than standard, if wanted, and I don't think the extra couple of mm needs the bolt stop changed, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
That extra .080" can make quite a difference.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.55.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.55.44 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.55.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.55.45 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.55.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.55.47 AM.png
    583.4 KB · Views: 30
@Newby
That's about right without measuring and I also have a Waters .
My Tikka CTR has the double stack mag like the TacA1 they also have an extra couple of mm. But that's getting into slightly heavier barrels.
I reckon if you wanted to seat a long heavy bullets you might need to long throat it and maybe have a faster twist.

I've had a couple of Tikkas rebarrelled, they shoot even better withan after market barrel fitted by a good gunsmith.

I own a Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308, I have taken it to Africa many times. With a Leupold 4.5-14 scope, mine weighs 5lbs 14oz. No, it is not a wood stock, so I know my setup does not suit you, I am simply saying .308 can take plenty of different types of game, it's a great choice, plus, there's more ammo choices for .308 than any other caliber I know. I also own a Savage 110 Ultralite in .308 but I have yet to take it hunting. Good luck with whatever it is you decide to purchase.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.56.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.56.25 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.56.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.56.26 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.56.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.56.27 AM.png
    738 KB · Views: 27
I'm +1 on the Sako recommendation. I just picked up a 85 Bavarian Carbine in .308 but haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet. I've never heard of a Sako with accuracy issues and they are all MOA-guaranteed from the factory, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The 308s are built on their short action, and like all Sakos I've ever handled, it is buttery smooth. Fit and finish is superb--I ordered it from the Sako Custom Shop through @JD Outfitters (Jerry Noblin) and am very happy with the high grade wood on the stutzen stock.
What should I be prepared to pay if I get something through their custom shop? If I was to do anything it would be a higher grade wood and maybe a touch of engraving but that is about all. I would like to keep the rifle itself under $2500 since it'll be a bit of a beater to carry around the farm for the most part and maybe the occasional hunting trip but nothing too serious.

May as well go for a Blaser at that price
I think there is a budget of 1500
I would like to stay around $2000-$2500 but will stretch up to $3000 for something really sweet.

What should I be prepared to pay if I get something through their custom shop? If I was to do anything it would be a higher grade wood and maybe a touch of engraving but that is about all. I would like to keep the rifle itself under $2500 since it'll be a bit of a beater to carry around the farm for the most part and maybe the occasional hunting trip but nothing too serious.

I think many of the stock/base model 85s are already near your $2,500. In my experience a custom shop 85 with upgraded wood is going to run you more in the $4-5K range, and more if you add on engraving.

I would definitely reach out to Jerry at @JD Outfitters if you're interested. I think he's pretty much the point person stateside for custom shop Sakos. Check out his Gunbroker page to see what he has in stock. I've ordered two Sako 85s (a Deluxe in 8x57 and the aforementioned Bavarian Carbine) through him and have been very pleased.
20220603_203036.jpg

IMG_20221213_191511.jpg

I think many of the stock/base model 85s are already near your $2,500. In my experience a custom shop 85 with upgraded wood is going to run you more in the $4-5K range, and more if you add on engraving.

I would definitely reach out to Jerry at @JD Outfitters if you're interested. I think he's pretty much the point person stateside for custom shop Sakos. Check out his Gunbroker page to see what he has in stock. I've ordered two Sako 85s (a Deluxe in 8x57 and the aforementioned Bavarian Carbine) through him and have been very pleased.View attachment 508535
View attachment 508534
Those are both beautiful rifles, the mannlicher stocks have always caught my eyes! Is the case a Sako case? If I end up going the Sako route I would defiantly need to get that. A nice case really completes a nice gun IMO. Also is the rifle on top a custom shop gun like the bottom, what were your wait times for these?

Those are both beautiful rifles, the mannlicher stocks have always caught my eyes! Is the case a Sako case? If I end up going the Sako route I would defiantly need to get that. A nice case really completes a nice gun IMO. Also is the rifle on top a custom shop gun like the bottom, what were your wait times for these?

The case came with the rifle. It's branded Sako but it's a Negrini Case. The Bavarian Carbine did not come with a case. I'm not sure the reasoning why some come with a case and some don't. The Turkish walnut on the Deluxe is definitely a higher grade and nicer, but I am pleased with both.

20220603_203305.jpg

20220603_203719.jpg

Yes, both were custom shop guns. I don't remember the exact wait on the Deluxe, but it was a couple months. Not bad. The Bavarian Carbine was a bit longer--I think like 10 months or so?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nedaalden

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.