308 Norma Mag project

IMG_20170909_174427262_HDR.jpg

Ok, so I am not winning any gold medals:oops:. But, my first time in maybe 30 years using irons at 50 yards. 180gr Norma factory ammo. I like this rifle!:)

VG
I've seen that die before but has anyone used one did it make a real difference?
I resized my first lot of the Norma Mag. I have been shooting my 375 H&H for a couple of years, and I have not had to use the belted mag resizing die yet. I just used the die for the first time on these Norma Cases. Weird that. I guess the chamber shape of my Norma allows the case to balloon more than the H&H. o_O

This resizing die is really easy to use. Very nice piece of equipment.

I like the 308 Norma and almost had one built myself several years ago. It's kind of a handloaders dream. Obscure enough to be intruiging to the average guy, but still uses all readily available components. It performs ballisticlly very well and is really only obsolete because it's so close to the 300 win mag and H&H. There were lots of Springfield 1903 30-06 rifles that were "upgraded" to the 308 Norma in the 60's and early 70's, until the win mags started to really catch on.
All good stuff, congratulations on a cool custom rifle and it looks to me like a good fit in you three rifle battery

I can’t understand why it didn’t catch on more
I have just had a 308 Norma made on anM17 Eddystone 1 in 10 twist 26inch barrel this has been my dream weapon for 25 years and finally have one
Now to build the stock (on qld maple) and scope

US maple on my .308 NM,i bet there are not many maple stocks in Aus let alone on a 308N
As others attest,it is a great calibre.
Pic is pre cerakote days.

308%20maple_zpsd9lio67k.jpg

Attachments

• 308%20maple_zpsd9lio67k.jpg
    308%20maple_zpsd9lio67k.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 333
So, I decided to tweak the rifle a little. The idea is to make it as accurate as possible to take advantage of the long range potential. Also, got a deal on wood for a new stock.

The new barrel is stainless steel Benchmark # 5 that was spiral fluted to reduce weight.

IMG_3059-3.jpg

The stock was bought at an auction and I totally lucked out:

IMG_0035.jpg

After buying these my own personal economic crash occurred and I parked this project along with my trip to Namibia. But, I am slowly paying off those obligations and the gunsmith completed the project. It's not mine yet (a bit more on the lay away!) But he sent me these images. Holy moly!!

IMG_6646.JPG
IMG_6641.JPG

The muzzle break is removable with a threaded cap. Christian suggested the muzzle break as I shoot a lot and it will relieve stress on the stock.

IMG_6639.JPG
IMG_6640.JPG
IMG_6649.JPG

IMG_6644.JPG

It's bitter sweet because of the state of things personally and I feel a tad buffoonish. But I am truly humbled by how it is turning out. Now to pay this off and get my Namibia trip back on the rails! Both my outfitter (@KMG Hunting Safaris) and my gunsmith have been incredibly patient with me. I am so fortunate to have such people in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely gorgeous piece of wood....have seen nothing that I have liked more than the figure on that stock. Personally, I could not take that afield. Just would sit and admire it...a beauty. You are so fortunate to find something like that and the workmanship looks fantastic. Good luck in Namibia

Pheroze, I only saw one post where your 308 NM was fired and that was with open sights. What made you decide to re-barrel the rifle? You mentioned you were looking for long range accuracy, was that a problem with the original barrel? What kind of distances are you talking about? BTW that is a sweet looking piece of wood.

VERY NICE! What metal coating did you use?

Pheroze, I only saw one post where your 308 NM was fired and that was with open sights. What made you decide to re-barrel the rifle? You mentioned you were looking for long range accuracy, was that a problem with the original barrel? What kind of distances are you talking about? BTW that is a sweet looking piece of wood.
I popped the scope on it and could not get accuracy like I wanted. I spoke to Christian about the light barrel, accuracy etc. He put me in touch with Gary at Big Horn in Alberta (I think). With my pipe stuffed with rifle crack, I inhaled deeply and....

VERY NICE! What metal coating did you use?
Armacoat. I wanted this to be a useful rifle. BTW no one expected the wood to turn out this nicely because my budget did not consider such a nice piece. It was a total fluke to score that piece. And, it just got nicer as it was cut. The fellow who sold it said he would have held it for fine shotguns had he known...lol

I'm wondering about the barrel spiraling Does it make any difference if the spirals are parallel with or perpendicular to the rifling?

Pheroze, brother,,,, I grasp the concept, just don't see the need.

You're a reloader I'm guessing, so I get that. I'm not, so don't even think for a second I'm trying to be an ass about this,,,,,,, wait you thought I was, but I'm not! There's no advantage over the winnie/weatherby, or am I missing something in the reloads?

For me it's like a 35Whelen and a 338-06??????????????????
@35bore
What's the fascination of the 338 ought 6 apart from it fills the gap between the 338 fed and the 338 win mag.
Asking out of curiosity as a lot of people seem to like it. What are your thoughts on it compared to the Whelen.
Bob

Again, not trying to be an ass , just more intrigued to the draw to the norma. That's all.

Im quite certain I don't look at the multiple reloading manuals as you guys do. However, the ballistics charts I have looked at, show the norma basically in the same realm as say MOST of the 30 mega mags. I do, I do, I do understand the need for something that most overlook. Just wanted to know what it was drawing him there. I apologize if I seemed harsh in my original response, it wasn't intended that way. Just curious, that's all.

Just a sideline, the 308 win is my GO TO.
@35bore
It's akin to me always wanting a 7x61 shape & Hart over a 7mm rem mag basically the same but the sharp and Hart is older and a forerunner to the rem.
Bob

I had no problems getting Dies/Brass etc in Australia. Also I have over the years seen them offered in the US too.
It really is an under rated hammer and you can run her at 375 H+H stats too.
@sambarhunter
The 308 Norma was fairly popular in OZ at one s stage and can still be found made on P14 and M17's at give away prices. I could have got one a couple of months ago for $400.
Bob

I don’t crimp at that level. But; if you feel there’s any movement in the bullet do so.
I do crimp in bigger calibers though .

I want one so bad. Biggest worry is getting somewhere having forgotten ammo (it's happened before- don't ask) and sitting with a really beautiful paper weight... Nice bang stick, congrats.

I built a 7x61 S&H about 1981 and after numerous firing the cases were starting to be hard to chamber as there was a tendency for the full length sizing to bring brass back and thicken the portion just in front of the belt that the die dosent touch and I put batches of brass asside because of that. The barrel was still good (only a 1000 rounds through it) but I ended up rebarrelling and rebuilding to the 404 Jeffery and it was only after that, that I saw the Larrywillis die. I would have certainly got one if I had kept the rifle as the 7x61
@Von Gruff
Garry what did you think of the Sharpe and Hart? You don't hear anything about it. How bout you do a write up about it. It is one of three cartridges I've always wanted.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg