300 PRC

It is a beast of a caliber. I have had many hunters using it on safari with good results. We just need more and better bullet availability.
I've always believed that all the 30 cal magnums were just begging for 200 - 220 gr bullets.

I've always believed that all the 30 cal magnums were just begging for 200 - 220 gr bullets.
IIRC, 300 PRC factory ammo is loaded up to 245 gr.

Should I wait...or start a 235 grain 375H&H vs 245 grain 300PRC thread? :A Stirring:
You mean short range versus long range hunting?
a-blowup.gif

My 300wm does very well with 210g bullets out to 1000yds, I wont shoot past 500 on live game though. But that is just me,

You mean short range versus long range hunting? View attachment 591496
I really could care less, but I know some internet warriors would love to debate why the 375H&H with a 235 grain pill would be allowed for DG but the 300PRC with a 245 grain one isn't.

...and I love that smiley. Perfect for the occasion.

Last edited:
I really could care less, but I know some internet warriors would love to debate why the 375H&H with a 235 grain pill would be allowed for DG but the 300PRC with a 245 grain one isn't.

...and I love that smiley. Simply awesome.
As in the States, game commissions and regulators are still lost in the '50s, Africa? Lost in the '40s.

Just out of interest, is this another calibre created to fill a gap that's not there?.... :E Shrug: ...dont know anything about it so not being rude
Like the Creedmoor, the Noslers and the PRCs, it's all about selling new rifles, ammo and reloading components.

Just out of interest, is this another calibre created to fill a gap that's not there?.... :E Shrug: ...dont know anything about it so not being rude
The 6.5PRC, 7mmPRC and 300PRC were all built for looooong range shooting...not necessarily hunting. The chambers have a tighter tolerance and allow for longer (heavier) bullets that will really reach out there. And the barrels have a faster twist to stabilize the big pills.

So you have it right. The 6.5x55, 7x57 and 30-06 are still good out to normal hunting ranges of less than 300 yards on appropriate game. There is nothing new under the sun.

IMG_5321.jpeg

My 300 RUM hunting rifle consistently hits targets out to 1.14 mile with a 210 Grain VLD Hunting bullet. I’ve killed a few Elk with it and the same bullet. I still haven’t taken it to Africa because my .375 H&H does most everything it would need to do and then it gets the DG work done too. The exception is some longer distance small plains game dispatching that I use a .243 for… So those are the two I bring. To each their own.

Last edited:
I love my 300 prc, but when you compare it to existing and well-established cartridges, especially the 300 wm, it's a case of reinventing the market not reinventing the wheel.
Exactly. The manufactures are moving product, not making a (truly) better one.

I drank the Kool-Aid at one time in my younger days, turned out to be snake oil disguised as a 300WSM. Well, we all learn some way or another I suppose.

@NIGHTHAWK - I have a friend with a Remington 700 stainless/synthetic in 300RUM that shoots clover leaf groups at 300 yards. He loves that rifle and has also taken an elk with it. Congratulation on the 1 mile+ club.

I have a Hill Country 300 PRC with a Zero Compromise scope, and it is awesome to shoot; although I have never used it hunting.

At the range, I reconfirm zero at 100 yds, take 1 or 2 at 1000 yds for wind, and go to 1500 yds. If the range is open, I work my way out to 2000 yds. If the winds are favorable - or the boys with 338's are there, we go for 2200 yds.

The farthest I've attempted is 2500 yds - I have to change the rail, I run out of dial up at 2200.

I shoot Hornady 225 grn ELD Match or Tactical ammo and the results have been extremely consistent.

I do not know how far you want to shoot in Africa, but I would say, based on mine - you can definitely reach out. My guess your limit would be the PH.

I did find some 212 grn Hornady ammo for hunting in my ammo safe - I've never shot it. I'm guessing I bought it in the event we scared a pig or a rabbit out at the range.

Good luck

The old timers will remember back in the last century, Remington and Winchester would introduce a new cartridge in a tit for tat race of cartridge/caliber supremacy. Goal was sell more rifles and sell more ammo. Hornady and Nosler, former bullet only manufacturers, are just following the same marketing scheme to sell more components and ammo, thus the Creedmoor, PRCs and Nosler cartridges were born.
Full disclosure, have had my share of the Nosler line.

@NIGHTHAWK - I have a friend with a Remington 700 stainless/synthetic in 300RUM that shoots clover leaf groups at 300 yards. He loves that rifle and has also taken an elk with it. Congratulation on the 1 mile+ club.

I have other .30 Cal including a .300 Weatherby Magnum. My effective killing distance was topped out at about 330 yards. I was just looking for a system in a hunting rifle and caliber that would allow me to hunt and kill all the North American animals ans ethically as possible and include some distance - if needed. MOA rifles had a great platform plus a custom shop to get all my hunting rifles accurized, set up with zero stop scopes, and a school to help me learn to be a more proficient shot.

I still prefer my 7MM REM MAG for a lot of hunting… Go figure.

The 6.5 PRC started the PRC trend. Fellow was looking for a cartridge for comp shooting. It a good read , I would suggest googling it.
As others have said a 300prc is a revamped 300wm. It is intended for the higher BC bullets as all of the PRC cartridges are to capitalize on the long range hunting trend thats going on.
I have a few 300wm and can stretch them out past 1000 yards and I do it quite often when the weather is nice. But personally I will not take a shot much past 500 yards if that far on live game. To much can go wrong, miscalculation on range, wind etc. The time of flight it takes for the bullet to impact, if the animal moves I could go on. Each to there own for long range hunting. Target shooting I love shooting way out there, I do not like shooting way out there then having to go look for a wounded animals blood trail.
That being said my next rifle will probably be a 6.5prc. Ease of recoil and High BC. Plus its a fine round for antelope on up to supposedly elk, I would still use my 30cal or 375 for elk though.

The 6.5 PRC started the PRC trend. Fellow was looking for a cartridge for comp shooting. It a good read , I would suggest googling it.
As others have said a 300prc is a revamped 300wm. It is intended for the higher BC bullets as all of the PRC cartridges are to capitalize on the long range hunting trend thats going on.
I have a few 300wm and can stretch them out past 1000 yards and I do it quite often when the weather is nice. But personally I will not take a shot much past 500 yards if that far on live game. To much can go wrong, miscalculation on range, wind etc. The time of flight it takes for the bullet to impact, if the animal moves I could go on. Each to there own for long range hunting. Target shooting I love shooting way out there, I do not like shooting way out there then having to go look for a wounded animals blood trail.
That being said my next rifle will probably be a 6.5prc. Ease of recoil and High BC. Plus its a fine round for antelope on up to supposedly elk, I would still use my 30cal or 375 for elk though.
My friend took a caribou with his 6.5PRC. I believe it was just over 250 yards and dead within 30 yards. Hard to argue with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you