30/30 gor Plains Game

+1 with @sestoppelman and @Joker12. I only have one trip under my belt (9 PG + a single buffalo). The sweet spot might have been in a slightly different spot but the results were no different than with what I hunt at home.

I think that African PG are harder to kill. Those zebra and wildebeest are tough. If you hit a plains game "around the edges" of his chest cavity he goes a long way. Our moose is more like African plains game, I think. I have hit some African PG ( about 3 out of 80 kills) to far back and the went a long ways. Brian

I see you did some hunting in Africa. As to the "African game tougher"-question- my experience tells me that it is true. So what do you think about this idea- most of the PG in Africa has a different meat structure, compared to European and American game- less fat and moisture. So that could lead to a lesser hydrostatic shock; therefore only very good hits deliver the same effect, whereas marginal hits with fast bullets are enough for whitetail, but not on Wildebeest ans Impala.
Yes a little bit of African hunting. And a bit here at home as well, deer, elk, black bear, pronghorn. I stand by my earlier statement.

Yes a little bit of African hunting. And a bit here at home as well, deer, elk, black bear, pronghorn. I stand by my earlier statement.
@sestoppelman
+1 neither my son or myself found them any harder to kill than Australian game. Anatomy may be a bit further forward but hit them Properly and they go down.
No one should take marginal shots.
Pound for pound I think the humble bunny is the hardest to kill. I've literally cut them in 2 lenght ways with a 125gn hollow point out of a turdy turdy and they have still got down the burrow 20 yards away
Bob

I was mostly just curious about this and figured I would throw it out here and see what you guys thought. As.popular as the 30/30 is here in the States does anyone hunt Plains Game with it? It used to be one of the absolute go to rifles here for almost everything. Was it ever popular in Africa?

Actually I’ve never heard of anyone using a 30/30 in Africa. That doesn’t mean no one does of course.

I have a PH buddy that shoots an open sighted Marlin 30/30 with Kriek 150gr monolithic softs. He has taken quite a few animals with it, kudu bull the biggest that I know of. No issues. By no means is it a perfect African cartridge but it's fun and that's enough reason for him. He obviously uses other rifles when guiding, this is for his own hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross