.30-06 Ammo

Imo, dont be too picky. Ammo that shoots 1.5" is just as good as ammo that shoots 1". I personally wouldn't get hung up on finding the Aframes. Grab 4 boxes of 180gr federal bear claw or nosler partion and I'm sure they will be more than adequate
@Curtism 1234
The Nosler accubonds are another great bullet for plains game. My son used 150s in his 308 and I used 225s in my Whelen and had no problems.
He could get them loaded thru the nosler custom shop or if he reloads reload them himself.
The 180 grain accubonds would be the ducks guts.
Bob

For a 06 I would stick with a 180-190 grain bullet for the max weight. Yes you can find them up to 220 and a little bit heaver but you will find that performance drops as the bullets get heaver.

For a plains game hunt 165 grain bullets would work quite well. I also agree on grouping, some rifles will become tack drivers with ammo that they like but then there are rifles such as the Ruger #1 that will never drive tacks. Some will but it takes a lot of experimenting to find the load that will do it. Even a extra 1/2 lb of torque on the for-end screw will throw the group off.
Stock bedding and free-floating can make a huge difference imho. I once took a crappy rifle with a crappy stock, which couldn't hit an elephant if you were standing in front of it and by working on the wood to metal fit turned it into half-as-good-as a target rifle. The second thing I found was the trigger. There really is a difference between an average trigger and an Anchutz match. There are more ways to tune a rifle that just choosing ammunition.

Petey J, have you found your 30-06 ammo yet?
I haven’t used one in Africa, but I have taken lots of deer, antelope and most of my elk using the 30-06. I’ve used 165 Sierra GK, 168 Barnes TTSX, 180 and 200 Nosler Partitions. They all worked well, but I lean toward the 200 Nosler Partition especially for under 200 yards and in dark timber. It is a great setup in the -06 IMO. Velocity is 2,576 fps out of a 22” barrel. 1/2” groups from my old Remington 700 and 3/4” from my 7600.

@Ridgewalker I finally found some Swift 180 grain A Frames and Sciroccos to try. However, due to labor issues at my company and the demands of my wife expecting our 2nd child, I have not had time to try anything at the range.

Well congratulations to you and your wife! Let us know when the new hunter, or huntress arrives!

This is going to be near heresy on here, but I have a rifle that shoots American Whitetail factory ammo extremely well, that ammo uses the interlock bullet. I have used it on a fair amount of game with very good results, before the craziness, it was less than a buck a round. If it was all I had, I would use it on a plains game hunt, no problem.
Yes it will! Several years ago a friend of mine was headed to S.A. for a plains game hunt and for his '06 he bought 4 boxes of Winchester premium black talon ammo. He called me the day before his flight and said the best it would do was 4" groups and asked for some help. With limited time I took some of my handloads using 180gr Hornady interlocks over and we shot them in his rifle. The result was nice little cloverleaf groups ( 3/4" ). I loaded 80 rounds for him and he used it to take 14 animals and lost none. They work very well!

Well congratulations to you and your wife! Let us know when the new hunter, or huntress arrives!

Our next huntress arrived last Friday, Aug 27th. She joins her 2 year old sister. My wife is a beast, as both of our daughters have been born at home with no drugs.

Our next huntress arrived last Friday, Aug 27th. She joins her 2 year old sister. My wife is a beast, as both of our daughters have been born at home with no drugs.
Well a big congratulations! And yes your wife is definitely one tough lady!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross