RSA, Namibia, Botswana
So this is a pretty specific scenario:

I have a build in mind, but I need some guidance on the details:

Specifics:
Bolt gun, detachable magazine, 23-24" barrel, suppressor

Desired projectiles and velocities:
1) 210-220gr mono (hunting) 2800ft/s
2) 155gr tmk or similar (training and messing around) 3200ft/s

First, I'm not sure I could push such a heavy projectile at that velocity in a 30-06 AI, especially with the barrel length in question, so that's concern 1. No frills, I have no vested interest either way other than I would like to keep it as economical and practical as possible.

There's a lot that I'm not aware of, hoping you guys can put me on the right road, cheers.

TIA

I think you'd be challenged to push a 210/220 mono in a .300WM at 2800fps. The extra length of the mono bullet taking up that much more case space. I shoot 200gr NorthFork's in my .300WM and I get 2800fps, perhaps a little on the slow side, but not that much.

My advice is build the rifle you want and let it be what it will be performance wise. So long as you're in the ballpark speed wise and accuracy is there, that's what matters most in my opinion.

The new Hornady 300. PRC would be interesting.

For those speeds you better go with the 300 Roy

In my opinion the Weatherby calibers get no respect. A lot of it due to Roy's advertising, and his somewhat fancy looking rifles. I bought a well used Mark V in 270 Weatherby (made in Japan model). I hit a scuba tank 5 times in a row with it at 845 yards using Weatherby 150g Partition factory ammo (3250 fps) It's a little heavy, but accurate and it's not so fancy (got some scars acquired before I bought it). I also have a Rem XCR II chambered in 375 Weatherby. It only weighs 7 1/2 lbs but a 300g A-Frame at 2800 fps shoots as flat as a 338 Win mag and hits harder. It will also shoot 375 H&H factory ammo. The 300 Weatherby is a good suggestion.

maybe just go .300wm, i cant quote specs off hand but i reckon it should have the edge on the '06

From Barnes‘ website. A 1:8 twist is required. My experience is some of their loads can be a bit “hot” on the high end. It seems like a RUM or 30-378 Weatherby would be easier to achieve your goal.
Best of luck!

4A119C49-E7AB-4025-AEB9-057D28EAF2FD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
From Barnes‘ website. A 1:8 twist is required. My experience is some of their loads can be a bit “hot” on the high end. It seems like a RUM or 30-378 Weatherby would be easier to achieve your goal.
Best of luck!

View attachment 369927

Everything I need to make the decision- thanks a million.

Why not a 180gr mono at 3000 fps? “Normal” twist rates will work and the additional speed will help with expansion. The penetration will be more than sufficient on anything smaller than giraffe as well.

The 06 AI won't get you those speeds, the benefit from most of the AI rounds is having to trim the brass less, and the ability to fire the Factory 06 rounds. The 300 win will have to be pushed close to max to get the 210+ bullets at the speeds you desire.

This build you have in mind has some very specific requirements.
Creating >4000lb-ft of energy with a .30 caliber is asking a lot.

Heaviest (and longest) bullets at maximum speed in a production action.

As others have stated...
The two best cartridges designed to do this are the 300WBY and 300RUM.
Although you will need to handload to attain the velocity/energy you want.
And longer copper bullet (for the same weight) will take up case space.
Meaning less powder space available, meaning less velocity & energy.

You are running right at the limits of the design for any 30 caliber.
The action length, powder space, bullet weight and your requirements...leaves no room.
Outside of developing a .30 caliber wildcat based on the 375H&H full length case.
If you do this, I'll donate 100 pieces of brass for you to get started.

Might I ask why or maybe what exactly is this rifles intended purpose?
Maybe then we would be able to help you in a more constructive way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg