270 WSM or 7 Remington Magnum

oscar1975

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hi, I haven't written in a long time. I keep messing with weapons. I'm saving for a new rifle; Since I have a 338 Winchester Magnum, I have thought about purchasing a rifle with a smaller diameter cartridge and I want to choose between a 270 WSM or a 7 mm Remington Magnum. I plan to use it to stalk animals such as roe deer, goats and the like. I like the 270 WSM being brassless and can be fired in shorter rifles and the 7RM I like its history, and its ability to handle heavier shells if needed. Which one would you choose?

Are you set on those 2 only? A 280AI would be the direction I would go other here would probably say 7x57. If set on those two only, 7rm will have more options and more likely to find ammo for it. The biggest thing I would look at is twist rates on the barrel. 7rm do not usually have the fastest twist rates meaning they cannot stabilize the heavier bullets if you are into that.

Given a choice between the two I would go 7 Rem Mag.
That said, I would carefully at a 7mm-08 or a 280 before making that decision. Especially given that you mentioned roe deer and sheep a 280ai would make a great pair to your .338wm.

Since you are from Spain, I will also suggest a different cartridge that you did not ask for my opinion about. ;-) The 7x64. Commonly available rifles and ammunition where you live, less recoil and report than the 7mm magnum, with equally effective results on game. The .270 WSM seems like a fad or trendy cartridge to me. I can’t imagine any real advantage to it. But the 7x64 enjoys the same benefits of the cartridges previously mentioned by American members, 7mm08 and .280, while being more appropriate to your location.

For hunting medium sized big game I’d choose the 7mm Rem Mag over ANY other cartridge.

I have rifles chambered in many different cartridges and always go back to one of my 7mm RMs.

Of the 2 the 7mmRm would be easier to source ammo for.

Hired one in Africa took 10 head of game.

I have a .280ai and it goes close to the 7mmRm performance with less recoil.

7x64 is almost identical to .280rem. European version vs American cartridge.

I also have/like the 7mm-08 if you find you want a short action chambering.

I have several Tikkas and the actions are identical, it's just the bolt stop is different for shorter cartridges.

I would choose the 7mm, I might be bias as my 7mm is my go to caliber for everything except the big 5. I have hunted all over with 7mm for the last 35 years. As for heaver bullets, I used 175 gr in Africa and 145-154 everywhere else. As several responses have already stated, it's any easier round to source in pence.

My go to rifle used to be the old reliable 30-06, but have switched to the 7mm Weatherby Mag. But mine is a stainless with flutted barrel and it’s a delight to carry. Not sure you’ll be able to find ammo in Espada. Living there I would look for a European caliber with similar ballistics, specially if ammo is readily available. If you reload, all bets are off :)

Personally, I would choose a 270 win first and a 7mm second. Trying to find ammo for the 270 wsm is going to be difficult and expensive with no huge benefit of the 270 win. I shoot 150 grain partitions and A frames in my 270s and 160s in my 7mm mags - both have proven very effective for deer, elk, all manner up plains game including kudu.

If the choice is strictly limited to these two rounds, I’d choose the 7mm Rem Mag hands down. Ammo and brass is available anywhere. It handles heavier bullets. Just about every manufacture, produces rifles chambered for it.
The .270 WSM, although a very good round, isn’t very popular and twenty years from now may be hard to find ammo or brass for.
If you’d consider other rounds, the time tested .270 Winchester, the 7mm-08 and the classic 7x57 would be a great paring for .338 and great for the game you seek.

Hi, I haven't written in a long time. I keep messing with weapons. I'm saving for a new rifle; Since I have a 338 Winchester Magnum, I have thought about purchasing a rifle with a smaller diameter cartridge and I want to choose between a 270 WSM or a 7 mm Remington Magnum. I plan to use it to stalk animals such as roe deer, goats and the like. I like the 270 WSM being brassless and can be fired in shorter rifles and the 7RM I like its history, and its ability to handle heavier shells if needed. Which one would you choose?
I have one of each, in the field hunting both perform very similar, the 7mm will handle heavier bullets, long action belted case, 270wsm short action no belt the new 6.8 westerner is a modified 270 wsm & faster twist bbl. My vote
would be the 270 wsm. with 130 , 140 ,150 grain bullets for the game you mention, with either cartridge a 24 inch bbl is the shortest i would consider.

Thank you very much for your answers. I think I lean towards the 7 Remington Magnum, I am a magnum maniac and I do not usually choose standard cartridges. As I said about the 270 WSM, I like that its brass does not have a belt and that the rifles that fire it are more compact, and I like everything about the 7 Remington Magnum. But my gunsmith recommends the 270 WSM. On the other hand, in Spain we do have the 280 Remington and the 7-08 but not the 280 AI. Weatherby cartridges are hard to find and very expensive, otherwise I would go for a 257 or 270 Weatherby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuigrande

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross