.270 vs 7*57 Which is the best???

Though I'm not opposed to the .270 (or most anything in that Browning cartridge case,) I have a 7x57 Mauser Ackley Improved and absolutely Love it. Read much about their hunting successes (since the end of the 1800s,) read up on the Improved versions (just a chamber reaming away for you,) and picked one up for myself (it needed a little trigger/bedding work, but after that, some fireforming of factory loads, handloading and testing in the field-it's a Winner! Agree fully on the bullet selection advantage (heavier, high SD 7mms are excellent performers in the field.) 757 ammo is available worldwide and even if you do have the Improved version, you can still use factory 757 ammo in a pinch. 'Never a complaint by Karamojo Bell using that cartridge to bring down so many Elephant once upon a time.... All that said, the .270 is more of a longer range beanfield gun for deer-sized or smaller, wide-open country animals (taking advantage of the pretty good BC of the lighter, and longer/skinnier ballistic of the 277. I like 140/160/175 gr slugs in the 757. I was never convinced by any of Jack O'Connor's writings to purchase a .270. It is my opinion that those writings were all about selling that caliber. I don't think Bell was trying to sell anything but his memories. ;)

Last edited:
Though I'm not opposed to the .270 (or most anything in that Browning cartridge case,) I have a 7x57 Mauser Ackley Improved and absolutely Love it. Read much about their hunting successes (since the end of the 1800s,) read up on the Improved versions (just a chamber reaming away for you,) and picked one up for myself (it needed a little trigger/bedding work, but after that, some fireforming of factory loads, handloading and testing in the field-it's a Winner! Agree fully on the bullet selection advantage (heavier, high SD 7mms are excellent performers in the field.) 757 ammo is available worldwide and even if you do have the Improved version, you can still use factory 757 ammo in a pinch. 'Never a complaint by Karamojo Bell using that cartridge to bring down so many Elephant once upon a time.... All that said, the .270 is more of a longer range beanfield gun for deer-sized or smaller, wide-open country animals (taking advantage of the pretty good BC of the lighter, and longer/skinnier ballistic of the 277. I like 140/160/175 gr slugs in the 757. I was never convinced by any of Jack O'Conner's writings to purchase a .270. ;)

You mention 160 bullets for the 7x57, but wouldn’t a 270 outperform a 7x57 in any circumstance where the same weight bullets were used due to case capacity alone?

I would think that in 140-160gr, the 270 would have the edge.

Though I'm not opposed to the .270 (or most anything in that Browning cartridge case,) I have a 7x57 Mauser Ackley Improved and absolutely Love it. Read much about their hunting successes (since the end of the 1800s,) read up on the Improved versions (just a chamber reaming away for you,) and picked one up for myself (it needed a little trigger/bedding work, but after that, some fireforming of factory loads, handloading and testing in the field-it's a Winner! Agree fully on the bullet selection advantage (heavier, high SD 7mms are excellent performers in the field.) 757 ammo is available worldwide and even if you do have the Improved version, you can still use factory 757 ammo in a pinch. 'Never a complaint by Karamojo Bell using that cartridge to bring down so many Elephant once upon a time.... All that said, the .270 is more of a longer range beanfield gun for deer-sized or smaller, wide-open country animals (taking advantage of the pretty good BC of the lighter, and longer/skinnier ballistic of the 277. I like 140/160/175 gr slugs in the 757. I was never convinced by any of Jack O'Connor's writings to purchase a .270. It is my opinion that those writings were all about selling that caliber. I don't think Bell was trying to sell anything but his memories. ;)
You mention 160 bullets for the 7x57, but wouldn’t a 270 outperform a 7x57 in any circumstance where the same weight bullets were used due to case capacity alone?

I would think that in 140-160gr, the 270 would have the edge.
I'm a fan of Improving the 757 (bringing the V up to hot 06 case velocities, with less powder 50-56 gr and a refigured case that creates more pressure.) Some 757 AI loads have higher V than a .280 AI due to the case configuration. Technically, the heavy .277 bullets would have both (slightly) higher BC and SD but those longer bullets also eat up powder capacity in the case (with longer bullets.) I'm also thinking the 7 has greater versatility as even heavier slugs are available...

The 757 is also very popular. Ammo is widely available. We Americans are big fans of necking this (orig. 8 mm Mauser) case up and down (.257 Roberts, et. al. - the Ackley Improved version is just shy of Wby performance! Store closest to a very rural fam farm has no fewer than 3 different factory ammo selections for 757 (and with heavier bullets than their .270 stockpile.) Heavy for caliber works well. The advantage of the .270 is range, which shouldn't be an issue on most plains game hunts. Even that factory 2500-2750 fps will work beautifully with the heavier bullets. (It's not just about the case size-see below-Same V out of the 757 and 06 case w/ the same bullet and less powder.) Even better efficiency in the reconfigured 757 case. Groups are 130 Barnes TSX and 140 Nos Partitions (at 3,250 and 3,050 fps) set up for deer in the US. I'd use the 160-175s over in Africa as the smallest of plains game are built much tougher than deer!!!

IMG_20191002_201131780~2.jpg
IMG_20190921_174956532~2.jpg
IMG_20190923_151018999~2.jpg
IMG_20191211_092211878.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
why not have the best of both and a bit more as well.
get the 7x57, contact pt&g for a chamber reamer, and get some 280 rem loading dies.
bruce.

He is in Zimbabwe.......having it reamed out......to unavailable caliber and having major issues to reload......be realistic.....

Standard 7x57 is all you need in Africa....keep the fancy stuff for where it is practical..

There are two rifles for sale a 270 and a 7*57 but my dad doesn't know which to get. They are the same price and the 7*57 has lost most its bluing. It is desired for game up to kudu'ish and for the range for kids between 10 and 12.
Please help with this dilemma.

You have your answer right there......

"the 7*57 has lost most its bluing"

I wonder why....never mind I know....my first proper rifle was in this caliber, best African caliber for a light rifle....period....

this damn thread!!!!!!

I've got a sweet little 7x57 built on a SR mauser action in the safe.. I snatched the scope off of it and put the scope on a Ruger M77 in 308 a few months back.. because I hunt with the 308 more often, and really like the zeiss optic I had mounted on the 7x57...

Now Im wanting to get the 7x57 out of the safe, take it to the range, and possibly take it on a couple of deer hunts this year...

Which means.. I now need to spend money on another optic...

you guys and all of your 7x57 love are costing me money!

:)

And you need note need to buy a 270 (of course). Excellent for medium sized game on the plains.
We are all here to encourage you (so sorry!).

You have your answer right there......

"the 7*57 has lost most its bluing"

I wonder why....never mind I know....my first proper rifle was in this caliber, best African caliber for a light rifle....period....

Very astute observation. I have taken a lot of game with a 7x57, including kudu, zebra and blue wildebeest. All with 175 Gr Swift A-Frames. It does not need improving. It just gets the job done.

I have both, and the 270 is more powerful, end of story, ammo and components in Africa are available for both, In most countries the 270 and 30-06 seem to be on all shelves so both are popular..My favorite caliber for Plains game is the 7x57 with handloads, with factory ammo is about like a 30-30 as a matter of fact, there are a couple of better factor loads but they are all but impossible to get...If I were to have only one gun Id go with the 270 for the extra velocity and enough bullet weight to handle all but buffalo, Hippo, and elephant, but with good 160 Nosler or Barnes, I would tackle a cape buffalo with a carefully placed shot..Bottom line 6 of 1 or half a dozen of both, just doesn't make much difference IMO..

BTW in the USA 270 and components are much more available than 7x57..

I have both, and the 270 is more powerful, end of story, ammo and components in Africa are available for both, In most countries the 270 and 30-06 seem to be on all shelves so both are popular..My favorite caliber for Plains game is the 7x57 with handloads, with factory ammo is about like a 30-30 as a matter of fact, there are a couple of better factor loads but they are all but impossible to get...If I were to have only one gun Id go with the 270 for the extra velocity and enough bullet weight to handle all but buffalo, Hippo, and elephant, but with good 160 Nosler or Barnes, I would tackle a cape buffalo with a carefully placed shot..Bottom line 6 of 1 or half a dozen of both, just doesn't make much difference IMO..

BTW in the USA 270 and components are much more available than 7x57..

I have to disagree with you on the availability of components for the 7x57 in the USA. Brass is readily available and the only other difference would be bullet selection. I think you’d be hard pressed to support a claim that .270 bullets have greater selection or are more available than 7 mm bullets.

Both great cartridges. I love our 270, elk, deer, javelina, black bear and couple of grizzlies 150g Partition at 3000 fps (handload max but no pressure signs), varmints 90g Sierra HPBT at 3400 fps (mild load). On our 2nd barrel. But I am taking my 500 Jeffery elk hunting this year cause I can :)

I have to disagree with you on the availability of components for the 7x57 in the USA. Brass is readily available and the only other difference would be bullet selection. I think you’d be hard pressed to support a claim that .270 bullets have greater selection or are more available than 7 mm bullets.

I believe the 7x57 (or any 7mm really) benefits greatly from the success of the 7mm magnum as far as bullet availability is concerned.

The poor 270 has suffered in that regard, being the only cartridge in that caliber for so long. I wonder if the 27 nosler will improve things a bit if it finds any success?

I'd like the heavier bullet of the 7x57 but like someone already said, if I was going pronghorn hunting I'd want that flat shooting .270 with 130 grain bullets
But an African gun has to be metric lol

I'd like the heavier bullet of the 7x57 but like someone already said, if I was going pronghorn hunting I'd want that flat shooting .270 with 130 grain bullets

I think it was me and I agree with you, if I was buying a gun just for pronghorn a .270 would make more sense than a 7x57. However, I lived in Wyoming for 9 years before I moved to Alaska. All I had was a 7x57 so that was my pronghorn gun. Loaded hot with 145’s it did just fine. My longest kill on a pronghorn was 420.

@R.M.C.
for reaching out to touch game at extended range I C ant see much difference between a 130 grain 270 @3000 fps and a good 139 grain 7mm at 2,850 fps. Either way the results will be a dead pronghorn at any sensible range to 400 yards.
Just my opinion.
Bob:W Sniper:

I don’t own either caliber, but have used a 270 a few times. Always thought the 270 was an odd duck due to its bullet size, though no one can argue that its been very successful. I’ve preferred the 30 cals so used a 30-30 and 308 as my primary rifles for the majority of my years, steppIng up to a 300 win mag after the 308 was retired. If I had to choose between the 7x57 and 270 though, it would be the 7x57 for the heavier bullet weights. Prefer heavy-ish to heavy for caliber rounds in most of my rifles and the 7x57 wins that battle. Still would choose the 7x64 over either and am actively searching for a good buy on a barrel in that caliber for my Merkel.

Reactions: WAB
This thread has a lot to do about nada, the pros and cons amount to nothing as a matter of fact..Take your pick, Ive shot about everything with both and Im satisfied with both and you can add a 30-06 to that gammit as far as Im concerned..Push come to shove I feel like the 7x57 is the lightest caliber I would hunt any animal in the world with and have "almost" done that..but its not the thing to do its mostly a stunt and could be duplicated by the 270 on second thought!!

This thread has a lot to do about nada, the pros and cons amount to nothing as a matter of fact..Take your pick, Ive shot about everything with both and Im satisfied with both and you can add a 30-06 to that gammit as far as Im concerned..Push come to shove I feel like the 7x57 is the lightest caliber I would hunt any animal in the world with and have "almost" done that..but its not the thing to do its mostly a stunt and could be duplicated by the 270 on second thought!!

The question in the title of this post, in the context of the circumstances described by the OP make it evident he is really asking which of two rifles to buy. He doesn’t, however, list the make or model of either. This entire thread has since revolved around how many angels can dance on the tip of a 270 (or 7x57).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.