.270 vs 7*57 Which is the best???

Bobjan Boy

Reaction score
Hunted
N/A
There are two rifles for sale a 270 and a 7*57 but my dad doesn't know which to get. They are the same price and the 7*57 has lost most its bluing. It is desired for game up to kudu'ish and for the range for kids between 10 and 12.
Please help with this dilemma.

Which ammo is easily to find? That would be my deciding factor, and if I wanted the 7*57, I would try to negotiate on the price since the bluing is almost gone. How are the bore of these two rifles? May want to look closely to ensure they are in good shape. My 2 cents. I believe the 7*57 is a more classic African cartridge. :)

At first thought I'd say the 7X57 if the barrel/bore are in good shape. Recoil is very manageable for the kids especially when loaded with 120-140 gr bullets. Yet you can run 180 grain bullets in it when bigger game is on the menu. The .270 is a great caliber and likely a little flatter shooting. I think its recoil may be slightly sharper so to speak. For what your asking about I'd go with the 7X57 all other things being equal.
Bruce

Depending on the condition I would also go with the one that I could purchase ammo for. It looks like you may live in Zimbabwe so the 7x57 might be the way to go, unless there is a good supply of .270 Win in your area.

I would go with the 270 if you do not hand load. Ammo for the 270 is easy to find. If you handload the 7X57 is a little more versatile.

Similar cartridges in many ways. .277 vs .284

The 270 has more case capacity (67gr vs 60.2) Most rifles in 270 have twist meant to stabilize lighter bullets and heavy bullets in 270 can be hard to find(160gr is the largest I’ve seen)

7x57 has less case capacity but heavy bullets are common and many rifles will stabilize them.

Both are classic cartridges that have killed countless head of game. In this case, I’d probably base my decision on which rifle I liked more.

Just flip a coin and choose a 30/06 instead. :A Stirring:
Well its for youngsters.

One is really no better than the other. No animal within range would know the difference depending on the load. One is quicker and kicks a bit more, the other is just slightly larger in diameter and average bullet weight.

It is in Zim, 7x57 much better suited
Oh didn't notice he was from Zim. In that case the 7x57 because of the ammo is easier to come by than 270.

Both are really good calibres . The .270 Winchester traditionally uses bullets weighing up to 150 grains . The 7x57 mm Mauser typically uses bullets weighing up to 175 grains .

If you are limited to American ammunition brands only , then I will recommend the .270 Winchester . When I hunted my first mule deer in the United States in 1980 , I used a 7x57 mm Mauser which a friend had lent me ( it was a BRNO ZKK - 600 ) . I was given some Winchester Super X 175 grain cup & core soft nosed factory loads . I was not very impressed with the velocity ( they were OK for the small Texas whitetail deer , however ) . Over the years , I came to realize that American ammunition brands ( such as Winchester , Remington and Federal ) tend to significantly reduce the powder charge in their factory loads for the European calibres ( such as 7x57 mm Mauser and 8x57 mm Mauser ) . However , they always load their American calibre offerings ( such as .270 Winchester ) to their full potential.

But South African PMP / Pro Amm ammunition for the 7x57 mm Mauser is exceptionally good ( especially the 170 grain soft nosed loads ) . It is loaded to the correct velocity and you will be very pleased with it . If you have access to European and South African ammunition brands , then I would strongly recommend the 7x57 mm Mauser .
50450369-1EEC-4C35-B37C-DEABB12B284B.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey75K951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross