2019 Terminal Arrow Performance Update

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Africa' started by Limcroma Safaris, Jan 26, 2019.

1. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    I had a warthog duck the string that hit way too high and we didn't recover it at 17 yards with a 410 grain arrow at around 280 fps. The speed of sound is so much faster than even the fastest bow that there's always a possibility of string jump. On the other hand I've shot numerous species in africa with my recurve at about 180 fps that didn't jump, so no sure thing. Even if the arrow impacted slightly lower there's no guarantee it would have worked out. I have went both ways and shot a sable with a light arrow and failed to get good penetration.

Limcroma Safaris likes this.

2. lpace

lpace AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, USA, Canada
    I shot a bunch of critters (African) with a ~450 grain arrow at ~16% foc. I got excellent penetration (eland, blue gnu, gemsbok....), but I had an impala completely duck out of the path of the arrow at 26 yards. I'm just wondering where is the sweet spot, if there is one, between arrow weight and speed.....