Recommendations for youth plains game hunt

MikeStaten

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m considering taking my 10 year old son for a plains game hunt in 2025 or 2026 if the right outfitter isn’t available in 2025. My main focus is on safety but in order of importance, my goals are-

1. Safety for my son. While hunting but also traveling to/from camp.
  2. Prefer a lodge versus tents. Envision campfires with other hunters at night and that whole experience.
  3. Want a PH that is patient and focused on my son. I’d be ok if I didn’t take a shot the whole time.
  4. Prefer wild game. Ok with larger high fence properties but would like to avoid game that is brought on to the property
  5. Would like shots to be available that aren’t too far, say 150 yards. Occasional water hole hunts would be nice if needed but would not want to hunt over a waterhole the majority of the time.
  6. Small to medium sized game preferred as he’ll be shooting a 7mm-08. Warthogs, impala, blesbuck, gemsbuck, zebra would be high on my list of animals but open to others. Cost is a factor on the animals so not likely going to shoot animals with very high trophy fees. Realistically don’t need the largest trophies out there. Would be great to get a mount or two, possibly a few European mounts and a zebra skin.
  7. Would be a bonus to see other animals like giraffes or other game even if we aren’t hunting them. Maybe even just a day of photograph safari to see lions, hippos, elephants etc..
Just started planning so I’d really appreciate any insight and recommendations.

Nick Bowker hunting. Free range, nice new lodge, very safe and kid friendly. I hunted twice with them and can say your group will be well taken care of. Hunt reports here, YouTube etc. lucky young man I am sure you both will enjoy.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I think Namibia would be a great choice for a first youth safari. South Africa sounds promising as well. A free range hunt with a lodge sounds ideal. I’m doing my first safari in Sept with Kowa’s Adventures this september. Joseph Von Benediit talks about his hunt with a friend and his two kids (~ 14 and ?12 I think) in a couple of his podcasts. I’ll post the links. My boys are 6 and 9 and I’m starting to think about one with them as well. According to our hunting regulations, they cannot hunt big game until they are 12 here in Alberta.

May also want to check this thread… https://www.africahunting.com/threads/age-to-start-kids-hunting-in-africa.1765/

I'll second the vote for Nick. Hunted with him twice and headed back in July this year. Great folks and plenty of game.
I'm sure some of the great sponsors of AH will be along shortly willing to make your dream hunt for your son a reality.

Hi @MikeStaten ,
I will be certainly able to assist you with such a hunt. Please feel free to drop me an email at info@huntsafaris.co.za
OR simply drop me a PM right here on the forum. (Top Right, click on the envelope and take it from there.)
Best Regards,
Marius Goosen

Good day sir.
We will be able to help you with your request, we are a family owned Outfit with two of my own boys we know what it takes to be patient in the bush and helping them to get the right experience from it, taking in the African bush.
We are situated in the Lowveld of South Africa bordering the Kruger National Park, you will hear Lions and Hyena at night sitting by the camp fire, we are also able to go to Kruger Park for a day trip to see Elephant and many more of the big 5, we have a wide variety of game on the area and the numbers are healthy, with 9500 acres to hunt on we will be doing some great hunting.
Did send you a DM.

Kind regards Derian Koekemoer
info@dksafaris.co.za
+27 60 369 6320

Good day Mike
Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com, i believe we will be the ideal destination to bring your son on safari. We have had generations over the past 46 years hunting with us.
Thanks

Hi all,
I’m considering taking my 10 year old son for a plains game hunt in 2025 or 2026 if the right outfitter isn’t available in 2025. My main focus is on safety but in order of importance, my goals are-

2. Prefer a lodge versus tents. Envision campfires with other hunters at night and that whole experience.
  3. Want a PH that is patient and focused on my son. I’d be ok if I didn’t take a shot the whole time.
  4. Prefer wild game. Ok with larger high fence properties but would like to avoid game that is brought on to the property
  5. Would like shots to be available that aren’t too far, say 150 yards. Occasional water hole hunts would be nice if needed but would not want to hunt over a waterhole the majority of the time.
  6. Small to medium sized game preferred as he’ll be shooting a 7mm-08. Warthogs, impala, blesbuck, gemsbuck, zebra would be high on my list of animals but open to others. Cost is a factor on the animals so not likely going to shoot animals with very high trophy fees. Realistically don’t need the largest trophies out there. Would be great to get a mount or two, possibly a few European mounts and a zebra skin.
  7. Would be a bonus to see other animals like giraffes or other game even if we aren’t hunting them. Maybe even just a day of photograph safari to see lions, hippos, elephants etc..

Hi sir

We can honestly satisfy all your requirements
Dm sent

I might be a bit late in life but would you care to adopt me ?

Hello MikeStaten
Everything you mentioned in your post from the campfire in the evenings, the safety for you and your son, PH that takes his time with youngsters, all the animals you mentioned, some blind hunting and some walk and stalk hunting, giraffes and lions to the nice lodge is what we are.
We will take very good care of you and your son.
Send us an e-mail for more information.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Hi all,

Pat Knight here, I’ve hunted Blaauwkrantz the last two year on cull hunts , I believe they would be perfect for what you want . Fly into Port Elizabeth, South Africa beautiful and very safe . The p/u @ airport, Camp is only about hour away. Thousands of animals.
I think they check all your boxes. I’ve hunted Africa 9 times now and highly recommend Blaauwkrantz.

IMG_2069.jpeg
IMG_1989.jpeg
3631.jpeg
1307.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Hello @MikeStaten,

Welcome to AH! Jacques @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS can provide you and your son a great hunt. Both of my sons hunted with Jacques on the first trips to Africa. Jacques is very patient with all of his clients but especially with the kids. We can offer you a few places in South Africa, one of which is a not too far drive from Johannesburg where you'd be picked up at the airport.

Jacques typically likes to get his clients in to about 100 yards or closer if possible. Don't sell the 7-08 short, loaded with the proper projectiles it'll do the job on bigger game too.

Fires at night in camp are standard fare. However we tend to dedicate the camp to only one set of clients at a time. If there are others, it's typically at the start of your safari or the end as previous clients are wrapping up and new parties are arriving.

The pics is of my younger son with his first animal, obviously a zebra. He killed it his 7x57, pretty close ballistics to a 7-08.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

IMG_0948.JPG

Hello @MikeStaten

Hosting Family on safaris is our specialty! We would welcome the opportunity to host you and your son on safari! Please check us out and let me know if you have any questions!

Hi all,

For the type of father & son safari that you are looking for, I would recommend taking a serious look at Limcroma Safaris. I planned a first safari for my wife and teenage daughter with them and they exceeded my expectations on every level. They check all the boxes you have listed and then some...

Hannes Els runs a first-class operation in every way. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info about my experience with them.

You can’t go wrong with the sponsors on this sight, take a look at Game 4 Africa safaris in the eastern cape, they are also a sponsor here.

I have hunted with @BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris and @KMG Hunting Safaris and they both meet the requirements you have laid out. Feel free to reach on on a PM and we can set up a phone call to discuss these outfitters.

Good day Mike,

We would love to help you create this dream hunt. I've sent you a DM.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
Valie Enslin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hattie05G

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.