Zimbabwe Recommendations

The Omay is in the Zambezi Valley and is of the cheapest available in Zim.

Not trying to be obtuse or to seem like splitting hairs, but I thought the Omay was way up on Lake Kariba. Perhaps my geography or use of terms is incorrect, but when I think Zambezi Valley I think of "past the hotel, past the escarpment, through the 2nd set of boom gates, now you're in the area West to East: Mana Pools, some fish camp I can't recall, Sapi, Chewore (north/south), then quite a ways and you're to Dande."

Is Lake Kariba considered the Zambezi Valley? When I was on Kariba I never felt like I was in the valley.

Not trying to be obtuse or to seem like splitting hairs, but I thought the Omay was way up on Lake Kariba. Perhaps my geography or use of terms is incorrect, but when I think Zambezi Valley I think of "past the hotel, past the escarpment, through the 2nd set of boom gates, now you're in the area West to East: Mana Pools, some fish camp I can't recall, Sapi, Chewore (north/south), then quite a ways and you're to Dande."

Is Lake Kariba considered the Zambezi Valley? When I was on Kariba I never felt like I was in the valley.
Interesting point. I think we can say Lake Kariba is on the Zambezi river and is therefore in the Valley. Maybe we should call it the Lake Valley as opposed to the River Valley. That area you drop down to after Makuti that you refer to we call the Flat Lands.

I am seeking recommendations based on past personal experience for outfitters in Zimbabwe for a buffalo and plains game rifle hunt in 2024.
While I am biased in my choice, David Langerman is an excellent PH and you would be hard pressed to find anyone better.

where to go in Zim depends on many Factors. Some areas have few plains game and others sporadic Buffalo. Make sure whoever you choose in a native Zimbabwean and you are not hunt on confiscated lands.

I have known Dave since he was an apprentice and am returning in 2024 with the family to do a Buffalo/plains game hunt with Dave for the fourth time, third in Zim. Been to SA, Moz, Tanzania and in several different areas of Zim. There are reasons for returning to hunt with the same PH.

John

I am seeking recommendations based on past personal experience for outfitters in Zimbabwe for a buffalo and plains game rifle hunt in 2024.
Dalton and York Safaris

Do whatever Kevin Peacocke recommends...

He seems to know what he is talking about concerning Zimbabwe.

Interesting point. I think we can say Lake Kariba is on the Zambezi river and is therefore in the Valley. Maybe we should call it the Lake Valley as opposed to the River Valley. That area you drop down to after Makuti that you refer to we call the Flat Lands.
I've heard from a few experienced PHs referencing the Omay as being in Zambezi valley, including Myles from CM safaris. I would think there is a touch of marketing to this as everyone wants to hunt the Zambezi valley due to its reputation for DG. Expanding the valley's bounders can indeed help sell hunts. That said, if locals and well respected PH's call it the Valley, I will not dispute it.

I was in the same position and booked with Wayne at @NYAMAZANA SAFARIS . Great reports and able to get into the Save for buffalo later this year. Wayne has been excellent in answering any questions.

Just to flesh this out a bit, I think that an owner/PH operated camp is fine if there is also a manager in the picture to look after all the nuts and bolts of running the place leaving the PH free to attend solely to the clients. Or if it is a larger outfit the clients are allocated their own PH who is free of the rest of it. We once hunted a place that was clearly not doing well financially, and our PH was also camp manager, mechanic, etc and consequently run off his feet.

We once hunted a place that was clearly not doing well financially, and our PH was also camp manager, mechanic, etc and consequently run off his feet.
Been there, done that, never again no matter how low the price!

Makore Safaris

… Buffalo/PG hunt I think you have to look more in the east/south east parts of Zimbabwe = Save Valley (you find a lot about in this forum) - Eastern Lowlands= Bubye Valley (Dave Langerman) - Nuanetsi (Richi Schultz) both areas with abundant PG (Kudu, Eland, Impala, Bushbock , ++ and possible to hunt for Nyala!!!) if Sable is on your list you have to look in the western areas of Botswana (Matetsi and lot of other areas with renowned PH‘s)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg