Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Latest news just released indicates that several layers of restrictions are being lifted in Zimbabwe with immediate effect. The salient points for you our visitors is that you still need a negative test upon arrival and when you leave. You still need to wear a mask. But you are now allowed to travel freely within the country interprovincially, curfew is 10pm to 5:30 and no authorisation letters are required. This will mostly impact your safari operators and make their live's easier. Most importantly the new case incidence is way down, so you are far less likely to contract the lurgy.
South Africa has also just moved to Level 1, great news, but I'll let someone from there brief us on the implications.

... But you are now allowed to travel freely within the country interprovincially, curfew is 10pm to 5:30 and no authorisation letters are required.

Anyone that drives the Zimbabwe highways (using the term loosely) after dark takes their lives in their hands. On my upcoming trip I am spending the night of arrival in Harare rather than risk driving in the dark for a few hours.

Anyone that drives the Zimbabwe highways (using the term loosely) after dark takes their lives in their hands. On my upcoming trip I am spending the night of arrival in Harare rather than risk driving in the dark for a few hours.
Absolutely, 100% agree. Over the years our little company lost four employees in horrible road accidents, and another recent one where thankfully they escaped by a whisker. Driving at night is strictly forbidden on pain of dismissal, and instead we offer to put the crew up in the nearest hotel - they love that!

We had the same policy when we were doing projects in the Middle East. People would work in the fields until dark then go back to their villages on a tractor pulled cab stuffed to the gills with people. No lights at all and on a moonless night cars, trucks would slam into them and kill multiple people.

@Kevin Peacocke

This was the re-post I saw regarding Zim echoing your statements:

1. Curfew 10 to 530 am

2. No letters required for movement

3. Industry to adhere to WHO guidelines

4. SMEs and the informal sector can now open

5 Schools must prepare to open under WHO guidelines. Virtual learning is encouraged

6. Universities must also prepare to open

7. Intercity travel can now resume

8. Funeral gatherings not more than 30.

9. Churches to open for not more than 50

10. Bottle stores to open but bars and night clubs remain closed

This is great news! I am cautiously optimistic we'll have a decent season over there this year. Selfishly, because I want to get back and (more importantly) because the industry needs the cash flow to get back on its feet.

This is great news! I am cautiously optimistic we'll have a decent season over there this year. Selfishly, because I want to get back and (more importantly) because the industry needs the cash flow to get back on its feet.
Nothing selfish adout it TSF, we need you back urgently. I have a vision/hope that the Zim hunting safari industry will attract an increasing number of our American enthusiasts and become a really strong sector. When it contributes a truly healthy amount to the economy the powers that be will leave it alone, even nurture it.

Great news. We will be hunting and touring in Zim in May and RSA in June. Can not wait.

Great news. We will be hunting and touring in Zim in May and RSA in June. Can not wait.

I thought about that, but because of multiple PCR tests that would be required as I go back and forth between Zim and RSA I decided to skip RSA this year and go direct to Zim for hunting and do sightseeing as a separate trip elsewhere. My girlfriend and I will spend a bit of time in London prior to the Scotland driven pheasant hunt. Day trips to Purdey, H&H etc. already planned ;)

I thought about that, but because of multiple PCR tests that would be required as I go back and forth between Zim and RSA I decided to skip RSA this year and go direct to Zim for hunting and do sightseeing as a separate trip elsewhere. My girlfriend and I will spend a bit of time in London prior to the Scotland driven pheasant hunt. Day trips to Purdey, H&H etc. already planned ;)

If you arrive before they stop the quarantine for people coming from southern African countries, you will be sitting in a hotel airport room for 10 days at your cost...gbp 1750 for one... not sure price for a couple

If you arrive before they stop the quarantine for people coming from southern African countries, you will be sitting in a hotel airport room for 10 days at your cost...gbp 1750 for one... not sure price for a couple

Zim is in August. UK in late October. So, I think I am good.

A train trip to Birmingham to see Westley Richards is a must. It is a 5 minute cab ride from the station. Arrange through Steve, great guy.

A train trip to Birmingham to see Westley Richards is a must. It is a 5 minute cab ride from the station. Arrange through Steve, great guy.

I'd love to visit WR as well, but right now my travel is focused on Zim, Zim, and Zim as I think WR will be going strong in 20 years, but if I don't support Southern Africa we'll just have mealie fields left where wildlife used to live before the anti-poaching funds ran out.

I'd love to visit WR as well, but right now my travel is focused on Zim, Zim, and Zim as I think WR will be going strong in 20 years, but if I don't support Southern Africa we'll just have mealie fields left where wildlife used to live before the anti-poaching funds ran out.
Ah, good point! The most encouraging thing I have seen of late is the strong interest in wildlife amongst the young black folks in Zim. In the recent PH exams of the approximately 200 candidates only 5 were white. Those who don't get through (there is a small success rate) will probably go into the supporting industries, or become workers on private reserves, etc. So I think it will all be intact in 20 years!

Ah, good point! The most encouraging thing I have seen of late is the strong interest in wildlife amongst the young black folks in Zim. In the recent PH exams of the approximately 200 candidates only 5 were white. Those who don't get through (there is a small success rate) will probably go into the supporting industries, or become workers on private reserves, etc. So I think it will all be intact in 20 years!

That's great to hear, @Kevin Peacocke. PM me if you wouldn't mind and let me know where in Zim you're at. I might look you up in country.

Nothing selfish adout it TSF, we need you back urgently. I have a vision/hope that the Zim hunting safari industry will attract an increasing number of our American enthusiasts and become a really strong sector. When it contributes a truly healthy amount to the economy the powers that be will leave it alone, even nurture it.

Headed to Zim in mid-May for 3 weeks in Save. Will try to contact you when in country. Will be overnighting in Harare night of 5/14, then off to charter fight.

Headed to Zim in mid-May for 3 weeks in Save. Will try to contact you when in country. Will be overnighting in Harare night of 5/14, then off to charter fight.
It would be a great pleasure to see you Mort, we will have you around for a Braai.

It would be a great pleasure to see you Mort, we will have you around for a Braai.

Kevin, arrive around 12:30 on 5/14 with no plans but to hang out, smoke some cigars, and crash until charter next day. Return I think on May 31/June 1 to Harare and don’t depart until 6/2 early afternoon. I’d say we can make something work. I will PM you when details worked out and we can make a plan. Thanks for the hospitality. Uncle Morty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg