Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
Namibia (X2), Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
In 78 days (yes I am counting) I'll be headed to Zimbabwe to hunt Buffalo and Sable with Charlton McCallum Safaris in Dande North for 12 days. My buddy and I will leave St. Louis on Aug 25...flying to Houston on United...then onto Dubai - Lusaka - Harare on Emirates. Travel arrangements made by Gracy Travel. We'll spend a night in Harare at the Amanzi Lodge. Anyone have any experience with Amanzi? I'd love to hear about it.

Buzz and Myles have been great to work with. Our trip was originally planned for April of last year. Of course, that didn't happen. CMS was very flexible and rescheduled us....twice. We hoped that things would have straightened out by Sept of last year, but that was a pipe dream of course. Water under the bridge.

I have to say that it's great to see travel plans being posted and a few trip reports trickling in. Maybe things are getting back to "normal." I'll be sure to post a trip report when we get back.

Awesome! Best of luck and we look forward to the report!

Doug............that should be a great hunt. Hope your travels go well. Can't wait to hear your report.......................FWB

Thanks guys. 375Fox, I'll be sure to post a quick review as soon as I get back. Are you flying on Emirates too?

Thanks guys. 375Fox, I'll be sure to post a quick review as soon as I get back. Are you flying on Emirates too?
No, I’ll be flying on Ethiopian. Unfortunately I couldn’t fly Emirates from Pittsburgh or Cleveland. I would have had to make 2 itineraries and change airlines.

Interesting. I can't get anywhere direct from St. Louis! Once upon a time.....
So we have just one itinerary, but have to change airlines in Houston. Emirates won't accept transferred guns...you have to present them in person at the ticket counter. So, there's the added hassle of claiming and rechecking luggage in Houston. I've done it before on a trip to Zambia on Qatar Airlines. It wasn't a big deal. Sure would be better though to check luggage all the way to Harare. Oh well.....

Best of luck on your trip to Dande 375Fox.

Doug, my wife and I hunted Dande with CMS in 2019. It was outstanding. Len Taylor was our PH but he is hunting in Bots now. I filed a trip report if you are interested.

You need to be prepared for very hilly and rough country and you will cover a lot of miles. Dande is an outstanding DG area, but PG is more limited. We did see one sable and it was a pig, just not something I've ever had a desire to shoot. Other than our buffalo we shot a warthog and made a couple of failed attempts on zebra. Be sure to take a day and fish tigers. It's worth it just for the boat ride.

WAB....thanks for the advice. I read your hunt report and I'm glad you had a great time. I know that Dande is primarily a DG area and that's fine. A proper Buffalo hunt is my top priority. I got one in the Luangwa Valley a few years ago. I'm addicted......If I am able to score on a Sable too...that's icing on the cake. The latest photos on the CMS website show a 41-inch Sable taken earlier this year.

I am trying to get prepared as best I can. I've dropped 40 pounds. Now just need to get some more miles on my boots before going! Actually, hiking in Missouri in the summer is probably pretty close to the conditions in Dande! HOT!

Will be headed there next September in 2022 for Bull Elephant with Alan Shearing. Already counting down the days. Hopefully will have time to do some fishing as well.

Will be headed there next September in 2022 for Bull Elephant with Alan Shearing. Already counting down the days. Hopefully will have time to do some fishing as well.
You are going to enjoy hunting with Alan. He's not only extremely knowledgable, he's great company.

In 78 days (yes I am counting) I'll be headed to Zimbabwe to hunt Buffalo and Sable with Charlton McCallum Safaris in Dande North for 12 days. My buddy and I will leave St. Louis on Aug 25...flying to Houston on United...then onto Dubai - Lusaka - Harare on Emirates. Travel arrangements made by Gracy Travel. We'll spend a night in Harare at the Amanzi Lodge. Anyone have any experience with Amanzi? I'd love to hear about it.

Buzz and Myles have been great to work with. Our trip was originally planned for April of last year. Of course, that didn't happen. CMS was very flexible and rescheduled us....twice. We hoped that things would have straightened out by Sept of last year, but that was a pipe dream of course. Water under the bridge.

I have to say that it's great to see travel plans being posted and a few trip reports trickling in. Maybe things are getting back to "normal." I'll be sure to post a trip report when we get back.
My father and I stayed in Amanzi Lodge before starting our hunt with CMS in the SVC back in 2019. It was very nice with clean, big rooms and bathrooms. It also had a very good restaurant. The staff was extremely helpful and attentive, and we had no issues there at all. While it is relaxing inside the grounds, rest assured that you are in a compound with gate and guard, and we felt safe and secure the night we stayed there.

Commish...thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear that you liked the place.

My father and I stayed in Amanzi Lodge before starting our hunt with CMS in the SVC back in 2019. It was very nice with clean, big rooms and bathrooms. It also had a very good restaurant. The staff was extremely helpful and attentive, and we had no issues there at all. While it is relaxing inside the grounds, rest assured that you are in a compound with gate and guard, and we felt safe and secure the night we stayed there.
Agreed, I should have mentioned that we stayed there as well and had a similar experience/impression.

Thanks WAB. I may have to stay there another night before the return trip to get a PCR test. It's too much to hope that we'll be done with that nonsense by then!

Hunted Cape Buffalo in North Dande in May 1999.
Back then it was owned by Squirrel Swanson. My PH was Phil Smyth Sr. - Fountain Safaris in Nyammadhlovu. Swanson had agreement with Fountain Safaris to bring Buffalo Hunters up to that area. Stayed in the Pedza Pasi camp.

Enjoy hunting the Zambesi Valley!

Attachments

• Cape Buffalo 1.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 190
We'll spend a night in Harare at the Amanzi Lodge. Anyone have any experience with Amanzi? I'd love to hear about it.
We're headed to Zim in 16 days and will spend a night at Amanzi. I'll let you know how it is. Came highly recommended.

Kelly G that’s a heck of a Buffalo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg