ZIMBABWE: First Hunt In Africa, First Hunting Report, Dalton & York Safaris

Most likely it wouldn’t have ended up well, it was over 100 during my hunt
I can imagine that heat made it tough. Our hunt was a bit cooler in the mid to high 80s most days. Still hot in the sun though. I swear that sun feels like it's closer to the earth in that part of the country. The only thing I have to compare to your hunt is Australia in December. It was in the high 90s every day with very high humidity. I got so hot one day I was seeing spots and strange colors floating in the air. But that's just part of it I guess.

I can imagine that heat made it tough. Our hunt was a bit cooler in the mid to high 80s most days. Still hot in the sun though. I swear that sun feels like it's closer to the earth in that part of the country. The only thing I have to compare to your hunt is Australia in December. It was in the high 90s every day with very high humidity. I got so hot one day I was seeing spots and strange colors floating in the air. But that's just part of it I guess.
It was brutal, but I made it. I’m not used to that type of heat, even above 85 is not something I see often

Craig I am so sorry this was so bad. I had no idea you had to have surgery. You toughed it out in the Omay and lived to tell the tale.
I would not have missed hunting with you, Toby and Terry for anything!!! Great times!!!

Congrats on some great animals. As @375Fox said, each hunt you figure out a little more of what you want with the next, and what you don't. The reports here help every potential client and your report has some great detail anyone looking at Zim would find immensely beneficial.

I would imagine the hair would start slipping pretty quickly at 90+ degrees. And I'm sure you didn't want to end your whole day over that. Right?
I mean maybe you end your day that way if it’s an animal that really interest you. Small animals like that could be skinned in the field quickly and cooled down if needed. Just saying ;)

I mean maybe you end your day that way if it’s an animal that really interest you. Small animals like that could be skinned in the field quickly and cooled down if needed. Just saying ;)
Hmmm, just some effort and planning I guess!?

I suppose so....
I'm just so geared towards DG, I can't imagine jeopardizing that for one of the smaller PG species. But that's just me. No judgment whatsoever towards anyone else for thinking differently.

I suppose so....
I'm just so geared towards DG, I can't imagine jeopardizing that for one of the smaller PG species. But that's just me. No judgment whatsoever towards anyone else for thinking differently.
I already took all the dg on my list, days before that. I would have taken it

This is where things my not sound similar to other reports. I had a great hunt, better than I could have dreamed, but there was a lot I did not like. I’ve decided to not openly write about those things I was unhappy about and keep things professional, although if someone wants to speak in private, I am more than willing to.
That sounds rather ominous and a good cautionary footnote. Take everything into account when you book your hunt. Taking great trophies is not the entire hunt.

Many people don't share the down side of their hunts for fear of backlash from the Outfitters disciples. You know the ones; past hunts that went well, others who have paid their deposits already and need to deny potential problems, or the undisclosed agents taking groups to hunt.

That sounds rather ominous and a good cautionary footnote. Take everything into account when you book your hunt. Taking great trophies is not the entire hunt.

Many people don't share the down side of their hunts for fear of backlash from the Outfitters disciples. You know the ones; past hunts that went well, others who have paid their deposits already and need to deny potential problems, or the undisclosed agents taking groups to hunt.
Extremely accurate statement and partially why I’m keeping my views out of public view. It’s somewhat sad really as these reports are made to help the next guy, and I really want to help that next guy.

But I don’t want to argue, or have my messages blown up either.

Very well written report with great pictures. It's unfortunate but wise to avoid controversy in these hunt reports.
One only need look at the recent mess regarding the Kuche hunt reports. Congrats on a great hunt!

It was brutal, but I made it. I’m not used to that type of heat, even above 85 is not something I see often
Great report thanks for posting.
Time to hunt that area or Southern African countries in general more pleasant during July and August.
Anything past September will be hot and October is brutal.

Great report thanks for posting.
Time to hunt that area or Southern African countries in general more pleasant during July and August.
Anything past September will be hot and October is brutal.
When I go back it will be June/July

Wanted to add some more random pictures
Sometimes a barrel of brine is very handy. Just take a break and skin it. Good to go.
not sure what this means? Brine for hide ?

We used to carry a barrel with a salt mixture in it. Hunting Sable their hair slips fast. If we were too far from camp which where you were hunting is everyday. You just caped it out on the spot and threw it in the barrel.

We used to carry a barrel with a salt mixture in it. Hunting Sable their hair slips fast. If we were too far from camp which where you were hunting is everyday. You just caped it out on the spot and threw it in the barrel.
I am glad there was some verification here because I thought it was something you were bringing out in the bush with you to drink when it got too hot haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoellaGaby

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.