ZIMBABWE: Dalton & York Safaris - No Bull, Double Bull

Awesome looking buff, congrats!

Let's see, where did we leave off? Oh that right's we left a couple dagga boys resting in the afternoon sun.

The team reassembles as the sun begins its descent into the late afternoon shadows. Heading back to the area we last left the buffalo, we run into three locals walking from a fishing area back to their huts. I realize we are very close to our intended destination. I hope they have not bumped our resting bulls. Into the mopani we trek. Several hundred yards in York laments he forgot his binos in the truck. Oh very good sign! Every time you forget something you need; it usually results in you needing it. I hand him mine and advise him,” Make sure he’s big”. Our group is leisurely working our way toward where we left the resting bulls earlier. Suddenly Zvito comes unglued, pointing to our left. It’s as animated as I have seen Zvito all trip. York snaps to attention. All I hear him whisper is that we are “shooting this bull”. He hasn’t even used his newfound binos yet. Behind the shoulder, behind the shoulder.

I don’t even see this bull yet. I’m frantically scanning up the ridge to the brush line 125 yards ahead. Then in the bright sunlight below, I recognize the back of a buffalo standing in the tall grass just 50 yds ahead. He doesn’t know we are there, and I get settled on the sticks. All I have is his right hip and partial head visible. He is feeding straight away but in front of a large tree. He will have to go left or right. He leans right. We slowly slide 10 yards to our right. It’s a better angle now. He begins to come clear and I’ve yet to get much indication of what caliber bull this is. The sun and bush leave nothing more than a big, black silhouette as my target. I find the shoulder the best I can figure and touch off the buffalo poison.

He reacts to the shot and moves up the hillside I was scanning earlier. He stops within 20 yds and again nothing more than a big black blob, but I know his head is to the right. I send another. He is up over the ridge. Again, everyone is nodding it was a good first shot. Second was a bit more of a wild card, yet it connected also.

Gingerly but quickly we head up. I have already refilled the magazine with more poison. As we crest the ridge, he is now moving right to left but clearly hurt. Dang fangled three stage safety trips me up and I encourage York to shoot if he can. York’s rifle barks once or twice if I remember correctly and the bull disappears into yes, another gully. Our group reassembles and reloads. Then the bellow, that glorious bellow. All interested parties are relieved. We make our way down to a beast of a bull. I dispatch the $16 insurance policy, and all is quiet again.

He is noticeably bigger bodied than my first bull. York performs the ritual eye touch and proclaims us successful. Zvito gets to the bull next and there is an exchange of him being the “Mackenzie Tank”, the “Mackenzie Tank”. Yes, even Tinashe confirms, “Mackenzie Tank”. I was going with “big ass buffalo” myself.

Double upped bulls. This was the adventure I had waited four previous safaris and 14 years in total to fulfill. He’s everything one could want is a bull. Old, worn down, polished smooth bosses, heavy, and wide (if that’s your thing and I kinda like it). Someone later taped him at just over 42” for the inquiring minds.

View attachment 421296View attachment 421294View attachment 421298View attachment 421295

Perfect bull!! Congrats again!

WOW, the hunting Gods have been shining on you, congratulations on another fine buffalo! WOW!!!!!!

That bull is INCREDIBLE!! Wow what an old warrior!

Excellent buf. Congrats.
Bruce

Whoa!!! Tank is a good word for him, congratulations!

I'm physically feeling good. Mentally, emotionally, spiritually I'm exhausted.

A little perspective (I think Youtube has restricted this video on age ??? Go figure )

All the meat gets distributed the next day in the villages

It’s a long drive back to camp. The sun having already begun its slumber for the day, the evening air is noticeably brisk. A few more of those assorted cooler box beers are consumed. The driver is doing most of the drinking but somehow, we make it back to camp. We see several civit on the road and a hyena. We need to get a plan for these civit.

There’s a feeling of relief in camp. Maybe a few extra joyous libations but it’s not a rowdy celebration, more a sense of fulfilment. The journey to get here was long in every sense of the notation. The anticipation of my first buffalo hunt will never be again and for that there’s also a tad bit of sadness.

On the last night, Appie PH put up a small bait site near the skinning shed. We slip down there after dinner, but we only see a female leopard and another hyena. Civit doesn’t stand a chance in this crowd.

Last day of hunting. We decide to hunt the river close to camp and “sleep in” to gloriously late 6:30 am. Our group leaves camp on foot at the break of day. We drop into the river flood plain. There are several islands that rise 20’ above the basin floor. Isolated patches of bush adorn their tops. We are coming down an island bank as Zvito spots a bushbuck on the next island over. His body is fully visible, but his head obscured in the bush. If that is really his left side horn, and not a vine, he is very long, and tips are super wide. Can’t see the right side. York is seeing the same but also questions if we are getting the true picture. Just as I mount the sticks, he bolts over the island. We rush over to cut him off in the river reeds. We only see a bushbuck ewe. He must be in there somewhere. Zvito and Tinashe go down to make a push while we maintain the high ground. They push left then push right. No bushbuck. We have to cut the push short as two elephants are running our way out of the river plain.

We move over the next island, but after examining the surrounding area Zvito confirms the ram didn’t come this way. He's holding tight in the reeds. We then see him slipping out the backside. Although 300 yards out we can now clearly see he is indeed very long and wide on both sides. We stayed in the area the rest of the morning and returned that evening but never laid eyes on him again. Even a very early check the next day before we departed camp would come up empty. This was the one that got away.

It's departure day. We make it back to Harare barely before the supposedly 6:30 pm curfew. The night of our arrival and the night before our departure, we lodge at the Guinea Fowl Lodge in northeast Harare. I’m not sure of the available accommodations Harare has to offer, but the lodge is very well kept and maintained. Our host make a reasonable priced family style dinner for the guests, and we dine in an open patio area with a “honestly bar” available. Breakfast is included with the stay. Eggs, bacon, sausage, toast to your order as well as fruit and cereal.

A few other random pics I had left over. Firepit, Croc skull in the bar and Saucy Suzy's Biltong that we picked up on the way into camp. I much preferred the snack stick dried sausage ones.

IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_E0023.JPG

Our Emirates flight takes us back through Dubai. Originally, we had planned to visit Victoria Falls before we left Zim. Due to Covid flight issues and reduced schedules, we elect instead to do the desert dinner safari in Dubai with Platinum Heritage Safaris. We take refurbished 1950s Land Cruisers to the desert for Abrian oryx viewing, camel riding and a Badiouan camp dinner. It was nice to break up the returning flight.

IMG_6517.jpg

We booked our Flights with Lori at Travel Express due to the whole travel mess going on right now. Of course, we were shocked and saddened to hear of her passing just weeks before our departure. Jennifer with TA stepped in, and everything went smoothly as expected.

A short review of Emirates. All four legs of the flight were on the 777-200LR. In 2015, the longer U.S. to Dubai legs were on A380 Airbuses. The planes were well maintained. Staff friendly and generally masks requirements were lightly enforced. The flight over, I’d estimate the pane was 80% full. We had intentionally booked the window, aisle seats gambling the middle seat would book last and stay open. It worked all four legs this trip! The Dubai to Harare leg was approximately 40% full resulting in most passengers being able to lay out over four empty middle row seats or three window isle seats. That was very nice. It was the same coming back, except the Dubai to U.S. leg was 90% full. The empty middle seat between my wife and I was one of the very few empty seats I observed. We booked coach with the intention to grab a “great deal business upgrade within 48 hours of departure”. That did not come to fruition. It would have been another $4k x 2. I can never land the type of deals I read about on here ?? Coach it would be. I will say the food seemed to be of less quality than our 2015 flights. I can’t swear to it, but a couple of the meals weren’t very appetizing. Here is a tip I picked up reading a travel article. We made 10 small goodie bags with miniature candy bars etc. for the flight attendants. After getting settled in, we handed them out. The flight crew was VERY appreciative, and they specifically checked on us multiple times throughout the flight. I’ll keep that in my repertoire for future trips.

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_2908.jpeg

Also due to the extreme remoteness of Zim, I also procured the two-week evac coverage with Global Rescue. My health insurance, Blue Cross Blue Shield, also interesting enough has a global medical evac coverage but their coverage only gets you “to the nearest facility that can treat you” versus getting you back to the States if needed. It was nice to know that at least I had two options available if needed. Thankfully neither were.

Last edited:
Thanks for enduring the ride with me. I know it's been a long one, but at least I didn't drag it out for too many days.

I'm thinking Roe buck in Europe next. I really want to go back to Prague, Czech again so if anyone knows of something that way, hit me up. :A Rock:

Great report! Congrats on two outstanding buff and all of your other trophies too!

Great Safari and great report!

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed it!

What a great trip. Congratulations on such a wonderful hunt and thanks for sharing it. Really enjoyed the report.

Quite epic! Good write up, and I appreciate all the quick videos. :A Thumbs Up:

Thank you for such a great report! Did you get to eat much of the Buffalo? How was it? Any other interesting game meat that you had? (If so, how did it como air to prior favorites?)

Great report. Thanks for sharing. Loved all the video clips!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you