ZIMBABWE: Buffalo & Elephant With NYAMAZANA SAFARIS In The Save Valley Conservancy

TTundra

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
The Planning.

After 2 hunts to RSA in 2016 and 2018, my father and I were ready to get back. We had booked a Buffalo hunt back to RSA for May of 2020, but like so many other members, Covid had other plans. We rebooked for 2021, but had to cancel again. At that point, I dreaded having to rebook and potentially cancel one more time, so we decided to wait another year to book again and see how it all played out. Over those many months, I read more and more reports from members' DG hunts in Zambia, Moz, Zim, and other countries outside of RSA. I decided at that time that I wanted to see a different country and it to be my first buff hunt.

My target was Cape Buffalo, first and foremost. Additional animals would be a bonus. After two PG hunts and years of cancellations, I was ready and anxious. Well before I had the hunt booked, the preparation was in process. For my rifle, I had been shooting and practicing heavily with my A-Square Hannibal in 460 Weatherby. I've commented on it here before, but this cartridge in this rifle has been a fantastic rig with incredible capabilities. The Coil Check stock fits like it was made for me.

With years of practice already in the books, and the drive to get back to Africa, I was on the 'Hunting Reports' and 'deals' page daily. I came across a deal by Wayne of @NYAMAZANA SAFARIS and sent him a PM. We connected on Whatsapp to work out particulars, and after a day or two, I had booked a hunt with Wayne to head to the Save Valley Conservancy to hunt out of the Senuko Camp! Right from the first message, Wayne had the information I needed and the type of hunt I was longing for. A truly wild part of Africa spanning hundreds of thousands of acres to try and hunt my first Buffalo. My goal was for this to be a hunt for the experience, the 'measurement' was a non factor right from the start. I wanted to track old bulls... waiting and hoping for them to make a mistake...

The past two hunts to RSA I had booked the travel and handled all paperwork. However, for this trip, we would need the additional leg to Bulawayo as the route thru Jo-Burg was best. I spoke with Jennifer at @TRAVEL EXPRESS and she took care of us from the get-go. I gave her my dates and destination and she presented options. We chose United from Chicago-Newark-Joburg and Airlink from Joburg-Bulawayo. This route needed an overnight in Joburg and Jen set us up at the Afton house while also using the their rifle import service with 'Mr. X'. Wayne would then pick us up in Bulawayo.

The Elephant.

We had arrived at camp late Friday night after a 6 hour drive from Bulawayo. The camp staff met us and showed us to our chalets. A rustic, yet very comfortable lodging with open walls to a fantastic view of a waterhole in which I sat and watched a lot of game over the breaks in hunting. After a nice late dinner and some drinks, off to bed to rest for our first day of hunting in Zimbabwe.

water hole buff.png

As Buffalo was to be my primary game choice, I had spoken with previous clients of Wayne and members of AH who recommended looking into adding a Tuskless or Cow Elephant if available. I had spoken to Wayne about this leading up to the trip and simply said I was open to it if the opportunity was presented itself. We set out Saturday looking for fresh sign. Not 20 minutes into the hunt we spot a herd of Buffalo and have a look see with a stalk. Large heard, some good Bulls...but not what we were after, so back to the truck. I was thrilled, just such a short time into the day and were already on buff!

Throughout the day, we had countless amounts of sign for Buff, but also Elephant. It became clear that the chance to hunt an Ele was getting more and more real and quite possibly even before a Buff was down. Not to mention a Baobab tree half eaten....

Boabab tree.png

Fast forward 2 days..
After some long stalks for Buffalo, that I'll get into in the next chapter, I was getting a little antsy to get something in the salt. After 2 full days of seeing Buffalo, Elephant, Giraffe, Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Baboon, Warthog, Kudu, Eland, Klipspringer, and more, I was hoping this morning would present another opportunity.

We were met with a nice treat leaving camp. A pack of Painted dogs/African Wild Dogs were running all around us. A quick stop to take pics, but also wondering what they were doing. Well, just down the road from camp, the last of the herd had an impala down and he was having a feast! Guessing the others were trying to find their buddy to join. I had always wanted to see them in the wild, so this was a special experience. Wayne even said that this was a great way to start the day. (Omen??)

WD pack.png

Wild Dog Impala.png

After a few minutes into the Senuko block, I could see that Sam and Cowboy (Wayne's trackers) were keying on some fresh Elephant tracks. One thing to note, this part of the Save can take you thru a high desert type terrain and then turn into a shaded cool forest the blink of the eye. Going thru this 'forest', we stopped the tracks and Wayne chatted with the guys again. There were tracks and sign, but how fresh? I heard Wayne say, "lets go take a look". Out went the softs, in went the solids.

A feeling I'm sure anyone who has hunted Elephant before has felt, I was now feeling. Eerily calm as I was mentality and physically prepared, but excited in an almost surreal type of way. We followed the track, step by step, with Sam and Wayne leading, myself, Cowboy, then The Game scout 'Edson', my Father, and the Parks Ranger 'Huku'. Sam and Cowboy feeling how fresh each of the spoor was more than the last. Wind checks every few paces to confirm we were still in good position. No more than 30 minutes on the track, we heard it....the trumpet of an Elephant not 40 yards in front of us. They didn't wind us, maybe saw something, maybe heard, but either way, a quick turn right and come in from a new direction.

We were in the thicket....and true to its name, it was thick. We maneuvered around each bush, carefully passing off the branch to the next man, not to make too much movement or noise. Looking straight ahead, I couldn't see 10 yards let along 40, but they were there, and Wayne and Sam knew where they were. At this point, I was directly behind Wayne, Muzzle up, and ready. We worked our way in a little closer and Wayne said to me, "safety off", sticks were up, and 25 yards in front of us, to the left of us, to the right of us, was the heard. The massive bodies dwarfing the bushes, yet perfectly camouflaged (as much as an elephant could be) and yet still so quiet....unbelievably quiet for such a large animal.

Wayne was confirming a Cow without calf, and with how dense it was, I can imagine it was easy. I elected to go for a tusked Cow if presented as it was on quota (negligible difference in price between tusked cow and Tuskless). He had one, no calf, directly in front of us....and she saw us. My crosshairs were locked on her. She was bobbing her head up and down, side to side, deciding what to make of us. Wayne and I had spoken, I would fire and then he would soon after to ensure she was down and there wouldn't be any rapid firing within the herd. This may be a decision a hunter decides differently with their PH, but I wanted her down and to avoid any calamity that might ensue if I shot poorly. With 20 or so more cows and young bulls around us, it was as real as it was ever going to get. As Wayne whispered to me, "just let me know when you're ready", the Cow made a sudden move forward, almost coming right thru the bush...I felt that one to my knees. One more head bob to the left and she lifted up one last time. I whispered, "shooting"....my shot rang out and my eyes fixed on her head. I immediately see the dry dirt bounce off her head in a mist from the impact and her legs give way. Less than a second later Wayne's shot rings out as she's falling right where she stood.

My Elephant was down, but it wasn't over. We held our ground for a short period of time as the herd trumpeted and began to move off. We slowly retreated to a few downed trees on a mound 10 yards or so back. On guard and mindful at what was happening around us, but the hand shakes and hugs began. Another short period of time passes and we moved in so I could claim my elephant.

Ele Front.png

Ele Pad.png

Wayne motioned for me to look at the impact site of the shots. We all smiled a bit having seen both hit about 3" from each other. Sure, the second shot was not needed in this case, but I didn't mind the insurance one bit. This 'proximity' makes for a special memory and feeling all its own.

Ele Head shot.png

Its a powerful feeling walking up to an Elephant you had just successfully hunted. I was overcome by a variety of emotions. While still on guard as the herd remained somewhat close, the congratulations continued and the site was prepped for photos. While Wayne very conscious and considerate to allow me the time I needed to reflect on what had just transpired. You could also see the joy in the guys faces...we certainly all share in the success of the hunt in a variety of ways, whether mentally, physically, intrinsically, or nutritionally. It was a remarkable day...August 14th, 2023, a day in which I will never forget.

ele group.png

We lefts tracks to follow and headed toward the nearest access point to bring in a tractor. Luckily, only 500 yards or so. We waited for the villagers to see where we came out and they began making their path in to the site to begin the feat of processing our Elephant.

While the day was one for the books, we still had an objective, Buffalo.

The Buffalo.

to be continued...

Nice shooting! Congrats on your elephant!
Bruce

Loving it! What a great hunt so far, and love the experience with the wild dogs. Congrats on your ele! Waiting for more impatiently…..

Really enjoying your storytelling style.
Congrats!

Congratulations, looking forward to the rest of your report and reading about the adventure.

Awesome, congrats on the elephant!

Congratulations!!! Nice report as well!

Congratulations on your elephant. Headed to Zim in 2024 for my first elephant hunt. Looking forward to hearing about your Buffalo hunt.

You describe the complicated feelings of an elephant hunt well. It's a mixed emotion. I felt the same way...calm but surreal. Senses are heightened. Eerie but awesome. Congrats!

Wow, what an amazing hunt. Reading your report I felt like if I was there right behind you. What a great way to share this hunt with us. Thank you!!! Anxiously waiting for the second chapter. (y) (y) Keep the pictures coming, camp, area, etc, etc.

Congratulations on the elephant. The wild dog sighting was special.

Congrats, that was a great start !

Congratulations! Looking forward to the rest!

The Buffalo.
About 4pm on Saturday, the first day hunting, we came across the tracks we were looking for. 3 lone Buffalo. These may be the Dugga Boys we were after. Wayne chatted with the guys to see where they were heading to and where they might be coming from. After some back and forth, it was agreed they were drinking at a watering hole nearby. We dragged a bush behind the truck to allow for fresh tracks to be followed the next morning. The excitement began to mount.

It was getting a bit late by the end of this, so we checked out a few more spots for fresh track, but it was evident that the feeling was to try to find these 3 bulls in the morning. That said, one cannot help but enjoy a gorgeous sunset.

Red Sunset.png

The next morning we were off to the watering hole. Sam, Cowboy, Epson, and Huku checking for track. It wasn't but a minute that they called Wayne over to show him something. Fresh tracks from 3 bulls and very fresh dung! We loaded up the pack with water and headed out. I was ecstatic that we were on them this soon just on day 2!

The guys were on this track in a way that I don't mean to insult them, but rather praise them as if I was watching my bird dog back home. They worked in perfect collaboration and cadence following all the signs. We covered a lot of ground, but consistently seeing fresh dung. After maybe 2.5 hours, Sam stops and throws up the sticks, and I'm on them. 35-40 yards in front of us is a large bull glaring right back at us, but I cannot make out the body thru the thicket for a shot. After a few seconds, he runs and we see the other two bulls with him bust away. We stood quiet, listening to how far they ran. We gave them 10 minutes, filled up on water, and were off on the track again

20 more minutes into the stalk, and Sam is directly in front of me by maybe 15 feet, Wayne in front of me by 4 feet off to my right slightly. Sam stops and throws up the sticks right as an old bull walks out, right to left, 60 yards in front of us, near broadside, without any idea we're there, with no cover between us.

I had to make a split second decision, risk walking up to Sam to get on the sticks and having the Buff hear and/or see me, or step to the right of Wayne and take an off-hand shot. I took the off-hand shot, and as soon as I pulled the trigger I saw a 'puff' of dust just off the chest and behind the Buff, and he turned and ran. I made the wrong choice and now my head is racing, "Did I wound it?" "Did I just clip the brisket?" My stomach began to sink as I knew it was a bad shot, but just how bad. After a look see, and following the track again for another maybe 200 yards, no blood. I had pulled the shot to the left, and it was my fault. I quickly surmised it was a bad decision to take an off-hand shot at 60ish yards after 3+ hours of stalking buffalo, but I was lucky as it could have become so much worse if there would have been that drop of blood.

I was down on myself for a while after that. I was upset I missed a shot that I had practiced countless times before that, albeit not have 3 hours of exertion. I was mad that I had failed when the team had worked so hard to get me that shot. However, I brushed it off as I remembered where I was and who I was with. We had plenty of time to make this right. Arguably my favorite picture from this trip is below, it shows Wayne and my father resting after that mornings adventures. Tired, but there with me and not deterred. This is what Buffalo hunting is, hard work, long stalks, and sometimes a lucky second chance. I felt fortunate to have a PH like Wayne and especially my father there supporting me thru those few rough moments.

tired stalk.png

We went after the other two bulls in that group a short while later. We bumped them once more, but was not able to get sights on them for a shot. By the end of the day, my phone said that we had walked over 6 miles. We headed back to camp with me still a bit mad at myself, but wanting redemption. Just taking in the sights on the drive back helped bring my smile back. There is just so much to see in the Save, and its hard to stay upset, even at oneself.

Fast forward to after the Elephant hunt...

The day after taking my Elephant, I still had a smile ear to ear, and we were back in Buffalo mode. We dragged roads, checked for sign, and followed some fresh tracks for some time, but not closing in enough. At one point, we turned past some thick cover and bumped a young immature Elephant Bull. He was probably as surprised as we are, but Wayne was able to shout him away. The day ended with an interesting conversation in the back of the truck, Edson, the game scout, before he jumped off had said, "watch, we will get him tomorrow morning".

That next morning, August 16th, 2023, we wanted to head out early but a flat tire delayed us. We hit the first watering hole later than we wanted, but we stopped a few hundred yards out abruptly. A group of 5 or so bulls were on the far end of the opening where one of the water holes were at. They disappeared into the thicket, but we saw them, and they were what we were after. Like a carbon copy from 3 days prior, we loaded up the backpack and were off. Maybe 25 minutes into the stalk, and Sam throws up the sticks. A bull is behind a bush, maybe 30 yards in front of us, but mostly covered. I get on the sticks, make out his legs, head, neck, and line up to where I 'think' I need to be, and squeeze one off. The bull hits the ground hard, but kicks to his feet and runs back.

In my head Im playing back everything that just happened those 3 days prior, but this time I felt like it was a good shot. We advance slowly, maybe 15 yards through thick cover and see a buff behind another bush. "Was this ours"? Sam felt certain, Wayne wanted to know for sure but he was off again. Now we begin to hear the heavy breathing, almost gasping. A tell tale sign it was a lung hit, but how good of a hit we didn't know. We turn left and advance another 25-30 yards to get behind him, and turn back right, and there he is. His hind legs and rump are down and his front legs holding his chest and head up, wheezing. We each fire, and end the track minutes after it all started. There may have even been something uttered like "None of that Mark Sullivan sh*t here" right after we took those final shots to put the Buff down before any last charge attempt. It made for a good chuckle.

My Buff was down, and it was everything I hoped it to be. Long days of stalks, lots of sweat, bloodied legs, arms, and hands, but above all, perseverance. We hunted Dugga boys through the thickest of thicket, and had a taste of it all. My old warrior was down, and as before, the hugs and handshakes were abound.

Buff front angle.png

pops Buff.png

buff group.png

Buff full shot.png

worn face.png

Scars covered this buff...who know what exactly from, but I'm sure he had seen it all.

scars.png

While we prepped the site, Wayne called out that he didn't want too much cut back. He told me he wanted us to remember and show people how thick this cover was and the type of terrain we hunted this bull in. I'm very grateful for that, especially as I look at the image below. It reminds me of all those thorns scratching as we waded through them. It was the hunt I was after. I don't think I've ever been more proud to say I have no idea what the tape measure will say, and I have no desire to ever put it up to him.

Thicket Bull.png

The Last few Days.
To be continued...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamebaidoithuong0

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.