ZAMBIA: SOUTH AFRICA: My Hunt With Takeri Reserve, Diekie Mueller Safaris & Coenraad Vermaak Safaris

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Those travel days sure are boring around here.

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
well i just arrived in ndola from lusaka after dropping larry there the other day. now i just have to remember to go to the airport in the morning...........now what was i going there for :E Head Scratch:..........;) :E Big Grin:

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
well i just arrived in ndola from lusaka after dropping larry there the other day. now i just have to remember to go to the airport in the morning...........now what was i going there for :E Head Scratch:..........;) :E Big Grin:

Orange Vodka/Coke?

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Happy steak!

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Dont joke, the duty free shop at the airport is the only place in Ndola you can find that dreadful Grey Goose Orange.

Who said I was joking? ;)

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
For whatever reason, no steak. The driver from airport took me to a selection of fast food places to buy dinner. Was wishing I had the steak. Didn't sleep over 3 hrs on the flights and up before 3AM now........ Gonna need to get some sleep eventually. Bruce

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Yeesh. Sleep in Zambia

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted

50by50

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
S. Africa and Namibia
have a great hunt! looking forward to the report.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Have a great time, looking forward to the report!

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Well I finally made it to Takeri..... Flight was about 1 1/2 late from Jo-berg. Had to switch planes. Then customs was rather interesting. The fine folks at customs in Ndola were rather new and had no clue about the ammo duties..... They wanted a receipt. Took about 20 min extra to get that cleared up. Mike was waiting and helped w/ customs. Bought some food and drove out to Takeri.
Absolutely beautiful property. Internet is extremely slow. Not sure if I can attach some pics. Last 26 miles take about 1 1/2 hrs. Much of the road floods every yr. Not much maintenence. So it is a rough road. Could not believe how many locals were out on the road walking or biking. Got in just a little late to check the rifle.....
I am in a semi permanent tent right on the river bank. Warm here. No AC, but it cools off nice at night. Finally got a decent nights sleep. 2 beds in the tent. Concrete slab with a wood floor. All running water at the tent comes from the river so we drink bottled water. They have a large fire going right now set by poachers to "concentrate" animals. About fire number 7 in the last month....Bluey is here and I have really enjoyed visiting with him so far. He spent all day Sat fighting fire.
Got up at 5:10 and left at 6 to go check the rifle. Minor adjustment and off to hunt. We have Mike driving the truck with Patsy, myself and a tracker in back. We saw a lot of sable this AM. 3 herds and also 2 bulls together. One of the bulls is quite nice, but Patsy tells me there are 2-3 a little better. This one looked to be over 42 inches and good mass. Did a couple of stalks and got some good looks. Saw 3 Bushbuck. All off and running fast. Couple of herds of Lechwe and a small herd of Zebra. Couple of warthogs too.
Going out we found one of the trucks with a tire off... Troubles for the fire fighting team. We realized the fire was heading for the truck . So we cleared the ground around it and then burned around it so the fire couldn't get to the truck..... We met up with the firefighters and helped them set some backfires. Probably a good thing we were there. Tonight Patsy and I are going to take a walk and see if we can find a bushbuck. They have some good ones here. I'll post this and then see if some pics will attach.... Bruce

Upton O. Good

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.beingkarl.wordpress.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life member, Nature Conservancy, Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Canada, Mexico, United States, Louisiana
Great data that supports "TIA"! Enjoying the reports and the great details beyond the hunting. Well done, keep up the good work. Oh, and stay down wind and shoot straight!

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Good hunting! I'm jealous.;)

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
Sorry I missed your call. Glad you made it safely! Texted you.

hi welcome aboard :D Beers: bruce has just headed out to do some walking after bushbuck. going to pick him and patsy up in 1.5 hrs will tell him you are on . if the txt is via sat then he will get it later but if by phone no cell signal here. cheers mike

siml

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
Spike, fresh bushbuck backstraps for dinner?

Reaction score
hi welcome aboard :D Beers: bruce has just headed out to do some walking after bushbuck. going to pick him and patsy up in 1.5 hrs will tell him you are on . if the txt is via sat then he will get it later but if by phone no cell signal here. cheers mike
Thanks Mike,
Texted via Hangout over wifi. Hoping I have Internet in Brazil i'm t thinking it will be spotty there too.

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Well we had a great walk. The "Takeri cornflakes" are all over the ground so we walked the road. Followed the river. They have these amazing termute mounds all over the place. Some are 30 ft high and 100 ft around. The bushbuck often bed on top of them. We made a careful 2 mile walk and saw 6 Bushbuck. 2 were males, but young. I saw we, but the tracker Lakson saw that many. I only saw 4.....
Still a great day. We saw Sable, Zebra, Bushbuck, Lechwe and warthogs. Also several flocks of Guinea fowl. Had a beautiful sunset. Got hot. Up to about 90 defrees. Had some humidity and it lightly sprinkled some. Was a good day hunti ng and saw some nice animals. Good time at dinner. Patsy and Bluey act like their already married. Bit of back and forth. Mike was awfully quiet. Not sure if he is feeling 100%.
The really good news for the day is it looks like we got the fire finished with some of the backfires we started. Had been moving right along. On Mon AM it seems like we got it shut down....
So for Mon AM Patsy wants up and in the field at first light. So we left at 5 AM and drove down by the damn and river to take a walk. We were early enough to take 20 min for Bushbuck on the way to look for Sable. In the headlights we saw 4 young Puku males. and went on down to the damn. We walked for 20 min and saw 6 Bushbuck. No rams of any size. Mike and Bluey were in the truck and picked us up. Patsy had seen a couple of single bulls that are apparently kicked out of the breeding herds. Heading that direction I spotted a Bushbuck a little more than 100 yds off the road. One glance and Patsy said thats the one. Mike pulled forward a ways to put a termite mound between him and us. We offloaded and make a quick stalk... On the sticks he was quartering to me some. I shot and hit a bit back. He got into some grass and Patsy said to hit him again so I tried a 2nd. We walked out a bit and he got up to try and run. So put another in him as a finisher.
He is a great Bushbuck. Just shy of 15 inches and 6 1/2 inch bases! Great color and wonderful ridges on the horns. He is exactly what I hoped for. Carries the mass up very well. Several scars on him from fighting. Very happy with this trophy!.. Bluey is calling us for lunch. I'll finish the AM stoy in a bit.... Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dextron

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J