ZAMBIA: 2018 Hunt With Strang Middleton In 2 Different Areas Of The Country

Congratulations on a great Croc! Looking forward to the rest of the report.

Congrats on both animals so far! Really enjoying the report

Well done!

Day 6.... Travel day, Wild Dogs, and Lions

Since we had taken our primary animals in the valley, and we were flexible with our initial schedule/plan for time in the country, we decided to head to Strang's place a few days early. This would give us plenty of time for PG and an extra day at Victoria Falls. We had to leave camp at 3 am to ensure we made it Mfuwe on time for the 9am flight to Lusaka. Well the drive that we were dreading due to little sleep and the fact that it would be almost 5 hours on some rougher roads, turned into quite a game viewing experience!

Along the way we ran into an Antbear, some Elephant, Hippo that didn't want to get out of the road, Wild Dogs, and a pack of lions actively hunting zebra!! The wild dogs and lion were really cool to see!! The lion pics didnt turn out great but I was able to brighten them up so you can tell how close they were to the truck

76.jpg
68.jpg
65.jpg
114.jpg
115.jpg

We gt to Mfuwe and even though we were really about the only people in the airport, it still took quite a while and some greasing of palms to check in with the ammo and rifles!!

Anyways off to Lusaka, here are a few airport pics
77.jpg
71.jpg
66.jpg
25.jpg

About 7 hours by the time we left Lusaka airport, stopped for lunch and groceries until we got to Strang's place. Pulled in about 5:30 just in time for some sunset pics. Take a shower then head to the house for dinner and some beers!

Last edited:
Just getting caught up after moving all weekend.

Since I'm in the process of moving which includes my 50+ mounts :eek:, what are you planning on doing with your croc ? That will be a monster of a mount !

Great report, and some fine animals taken, congrats!!!

Just getting caught up after moving all weekend.

Since I'm in the process of moving which includes my 50+ mounts :eek:, what are you planning on doing with your croc ? That will be a monster of a mount !

I'm sure this will be a small letdown to some, but due to budgetary and space concerns, I will be just proudly displaying the bleached skull.

CPR, I am so jealous you saw the wild dogs! They have unbelievable coat patterns! The only thing better would have been to get to pull the trigger on one. I love all those night critters!

I'm sure this will be a small letdown to some, but due to budgetary and space concerns, I will be just proudly displaying the bleached skull.

Just means more to spend on the next hunt!

You ain't let me down- after this last safari I am seriously thinking for not doing anything else shoulder mount wise and I'm a taxidermist !!!

Looking forward to the rest of the story!

CPR, I am so jealous you saw the wild dogs! They have unbelievable coat patterns!

After hearing what Strang said about what an opportunity it is to see them, and not many people get that chance, I was even more excited and humbled!

Day 7..... First day on the family ranch

We start off later than normal this morning in order to catch up on some sleep. His ranch is much higher in elevation that where we were in the valley, and cooler as well. This mornings temp was in the low 40's. The country is beautiful here, with a mixture of open grasslands, thicker brush, and rolling hills. Strang says his family has been on the ranch since the 1940's. A view of the chalets and the pond right out the front door of the chalet.

DSC01835.JPG
DSC01836.JPG
DSC01837.JPG
DSC01940.JPG

We head out with impala, hartebeest, sable, zebra, warthog, and bushbuck on the list.

We get on a large group of impala (which there is no shortage of on this place), and Mike gets into position with the rifle..... Anyways his part of the hunt and I'll let him tell you about it. We carry on and see lots of game including many sable! About 10:30 we spot a few Hartebeest bulls laying in some long grass. Get off the truck and plan a stalk. Once we make our way through the trees about 200 yards, we identify a good old bull laying by himself. The problem is we also see a herd to our left about 75 yards and we are out of Cover. We actually get to within 50 yards of the bedded bull and get on the sticks, but thats when the herd busted us.

The bull takes off to catch the herd, but Strang says be ready because he will stop. Sure enough he stops about 100 yards broadside, then takes a step quartering to us. I acquire him in the scope, get advice from Strang on where to hold, then squeeze... Its a good hit, he staggers and makes it about 30 yards!! We get to him and I cant believe how thick and stout these things are, they seem bigger than their red cousins to the south. Good old bull with polished horns, I'm ticked with him!!
78.jpg
DSC01854.JPG

Back to the lodge for lunch.

We head back out about 2:30, see lots of game but no luck today. We see a sable we would like to pursue, but the wind and our position wasn't great, so we let him go for another day.
69.jpg

Strang says, I hope we dont regret not taking a chance on him today.... We joke about it and hope its not a true statement.

Dinner tonight was great, beef stroganoff, cheesy potatoes, creamy cauliflower, and melva pudding with real cream!!!

Last edited:
Very nice hartebeest! Congrats!

Keep it coming.

Just catching up with this one. Great report so far but something tells me there’s some meat left on this bone. Congrats so far! Can’t wait for the rest!!

Just catching up with this one. Great report so far but something tells me there’s some meat left on this bone. Congrats so far! Can’t wait for the rest!!

Haha yes bud, there is still some meat on the bone to share!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg