Your favorite hunting rifle of all time

I love the 30-30. Both of mine are Marlins, but I understand your love of the Winchester. I do have a Winchester lever in 44magnum though. Really nifty with my 44mag Super Blackhawk revolver. Anyhow, 30-30 is practical cartridge for short range. I still end up grabbing it most of the time for any brush work.
I love the 3030 instead...
Mine are an Old Remington rolling block (single shot)
I use a long barrel 23" lenght and 150 gn bullets, great shot!

A couple of years ago I sold off my ARs and decided I was content to face the end of the word with my .30-30. My nephew spotted when I told him that.
I always figured that if I had a .30-30 and a box of cartridges, and for some reason I survived the first gunfight. There should be plenty of ARs laying on the ground if I ever felt there was a time I wanted one.

The problem is surviving that first gunfight- I don't know that a lever action 30-30 is going to be much as far as gaining fire superiority is concerned and your 30-30 may end-up being one of those guns laying around.
A distinct possibility.

The problem is surviving that first gunfight- I don't know that a lever action 30-30 is going to be much as far as gaining fire superiority is concerned and your 30-30 may end-up being one of those guns laying around.
True enough; but at least I would go out in style.

I have never hunted dangerous game so my favorites are all whitetail size. Top is a Brno 21f 8x57js, next is a Mauser sporter proofed in 1933 8x57j, next Mauser Orberndorf 8x57j proofed 1912, next a Mannlicher MCA 243, finally a Mannlicher 1910 9.5x57.
Mike
ED1358AA-8A47-4F60-898F-64580F3A1AF9.jpeg

We have a Marlin 30-30 as well. It's very accurate. With 170g CoreLokt's it definitely an inside 200 yard deer and black bear killer.
You must try the 150 round... if you like!
Well, my rifle as a custom, has a large barrel, who gains more speed, but I love the 150 rounds and my kids are able to beat big animals like "guanaco" at 300 meters and a little more

guanaco 2.jpg
guanaco 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't mention the Hi-Wall at the bottom.
I discovered German schuetzen rifles years ago so the hiwall hasn’t shot any paper in years. I counted noses a few days ago, there are 28 of them. I need to reduce, but every time I try, can’t bring myself to do it. I guess I’ll let my wife worry about it when I am gone.
Mike

If I went back to one, it would be my first, a Thompson/Center Encore stainless in 30-06. Currently it's got a nice left handed walnut stock but the original ambidextrous plastic stock did the trick for years and it or a laminated stock could still for inclement weather. And I can change that barrel out to any number of calibers easily.
20230306_100053.jpg

My favorite rifle of all times is a simple Weatherby Vanguard in .308 Win. It has a reasonable range, coupled with mild recoil and an ability to cleanly kill deer and elk. I have grown a bit cynical of the marketing spin put on new rifles and cartridges. The hunting magazine writers are paid to write in two ways:
First, the are paid by being comp’ed rifles and hunting trips in exchange for a favorable rifle on the excellent qualities of a new model rifle in a new and extremely effective round.
Second, the magazines themselves depend on their advertisers for their revenue. So there is a bias to deliver positive reviews, or incorporate products into hunting adventure tales. The authors want to sell their product (An article) to a magazine, so they must be mindful of this dynamic. Think of it… When is the last time that you read an article that blasted rifles or equipment. Old calibers… Even the very effective 30-06 are described with the slightly perjorative word “Veneralbe”. As though it is slightly doddering but well regarded great great grandpa.
African game is different, larger calibers are required to safely and humanely kill game. But that is a rant for another day.
Anyway I like my cheap .308 For North American game (other than big bears, and game shot at a distance) it is more than adequate.
anyway, that is my take on it.

I got 3 Mannlicher schoenauer which to me is the perfect rifle. But my favorite is a 8x60 magnum from1924.

Was that 8X60 proofed in 1924?

What is stamped on the front ring?

I'm curious as the true M1924 were 'Sequoia' models chambered in .30-'06 to appeal to the U.S. market, many of which sat unsold until being 'converted' to other chamberings, then production continued on what Stoeger marketed as 'High Velocity' which modern collectors tend to refer to as 'M1925' though none are so marked.

M1924 and later had a longer receiver than did previous models of M1900, M1903, M1905, M1908, M1910, or any of the 'Greek' Y1903 models / variants. They also incorporated a 'guide ring' to the Schoenauer magazine to allow more flexibility in cartridge selection.

A quick visual clue to M1924 and later models would be the bolt release 'button' which is rectangular on M1924 and later models, round on previous.

My favorite rifle of all times is a simple Weatherby Vanguard in .308 Win. It has a reasonable range, coupled with mild recoil and an ability to cleanly kill deer and elk. I have grown a bit cynical of the marketing spin put on new rifles and cartridges. The hunting magazine writers are paid to write in two ways:
First, the are paid by being comp’ed rifles and hunting trips in exchange for a favorable rifle on the excellent qualities of a new model rifle in a new and extremely effective round.
Second, the magazines themselves depend on their advertisers for their revenue. So there is a bias to deliver positive reviews, or incorporate products into hunting adventure tales. The authors want to sell their product (An article) to a magazine, so they must be mindful of this dynamic. Think of it… When is the last time that you read an article that blasted rifles or equipment. Old calibers… Even the very effective 30-06 are described with the slightly perjorative word “Veneralbe”. As though it is slightly doddering but well regarded great great grandpa.
African game is different, larger calibers are required to safely and humanely kill game. But that is a rant for another day.
Anyway I like my cheap .308 For North American game (other than big bears, and game shot at a distance) it is more than adequate.
anyway, that is my take on it.
A lot of truth in your post. Africa is not that much different as the doddering old 9.3x62 is only 2 years younger than the 30-06. Despite the gun rags trying to bury them both they are still one of the best choices on their respective sides of the Atlantic.

A lot of truth in your post. Africa is not that much different as the doddering old 9.3x62 is only 2 years younger than the 30-06. Despite the gun rags trying to bury them both they are still one of the best choices on their respective sides of the Atlantic.
@MS 9x56
They work just as well on either continent. The ol ought six is right at home in Africa and the 9.3 is rapidly gaining popularity state side.
Bob

Just read through this whole thread. This is a tough one to answer.

Favorite to shoot- pre-64 model 70 in 375 h&h. That gun fits like a glove like it was custom made for me.

Favorite based on sentiment- my deceased father's Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 300 Wby Mag. Amazing shooter too.

Favorite based on successful hunts- Benelli R1 in 338 Win Mag. Taken some of my biggest bucks and black bear with that one. Probably too much gun for deer but a semi auto is nice when they're always running...don't think anyone has mentioned a benelli on the list

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondU66

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross