Wrong headstamp

i know a guy that fired a 270 in a 280, and the case ruptured.
forming 280 from 30/06 is aesily done as flatwater bill describes, but you must get that false shoulder right.
25/06 and 270 from 30/06 could require a bit of judicious headspace calculating, but nothing serious.
some of the best 25/06 and 270 brass i ever had was lake city match 30/06 brass, and i actually had to push the shoulders back a little.
bruce.
 
Of the 3 257 Roberts that I have had, one had a longer than the rest chamber/headspace. It was a Model 30 Remington. If I fired standard 257 R brass in it the stretch was excessive and it was good for only one firing. My solution was to get 7x57 brass and neck down to ,257, but left the die a turn out of full contact. the result was a secondary or false shoulder much as shown in the photographs. The case necked to .284 then stepped down to .257. the shoulder was such that it held the cartridge base/head tight against the boltface. On firing, the shoulder and 284 portion of the neck filled out nicely against the rifles chamber. the brass was much too long to fit in the other 257s so keeping them separate was a priority, Once fired in such a manner and using a resizing die adjusted to the new length I was able to get several reloadings out of the cases with no separation due to the "excess headspace".
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,258
Messages
1,570,883
Members
169,192
Latest member
trathabrefpost1979
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top