Winter is Here

my friend says that the fish taste exceptional in winter too phil .
and all size fish are still active under the ice ?
what about river systems ?
do they fish well with the ice , or the flow stuffs that idea ?
 
my friend says that the fish taste exceptional in winter too phil .
and all size fish are still active under the ice ?
what about river systems ?
do they fish well with the ice , or the flow stuffs that idea ?

I've seen rivers freeze up, but never where I fished. The flow mostly keeps ice from forming, not always but mostly. Either way, I don't think I'd trust the depth of the ice. Falling through the ice in a lake is one thing, in a river you're a goner. Nearly lost a dog that way.
 
thanks phil .:thumb:
 
When I was a wee lad we didn't bother with the jackalopes (too easy), we all went snipe hunting. We'd spend all night sometimes lurking around the campfire waiting for the night snipe to get within range, It's a tough hunt! You gotta have food, fire, girlfriend and a sleeping bag. Hardest part is staying awake.
 
When I was a wee lad we didn't bother with the jackalopes (too easy), we all went snipe hunting. We'd spend all night sometimes lurking around the campfire waiting for the night snipe to get within range, It's a tough hunt! You gotta have food, fire, girlfriend and a sleeping bag. Hardest part is staying awake.

In such a hunt staying awake was the least of my concerns.... :p
 
Why are we all up and working this website?

IT'S A DISEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Why are we all up and working this website?

IT'S A DISEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

its a great disease to to infected with young Clifford .
and up, ive been up since 0400 Friday morning man ,its now quarter to 4 Saturday afternoon ,
I don't know how many red bull can ive drank .its all l can taste , its all l can smell when l pump the bilge .
im now 10 minutes off waking one of the crew to take the wheel and im out to punch some zzzzzzs for 5 hours before we get to port ,and start unloading at 2130 .
that's why im working this site bro
sleep well mate .
im down for the count
 
Is it just me or do any of the rest of my fellow AH'ers get this mental image when thinking of bluey?

Quint_straight-up_no-logo_09.jpg
 
I'm thinking it's more of a BIG Fosters can!
 
Bluey, Just to rattle your cage a bit I've driven double semi's out on the ocen up here. Like a road train but only 2 wagons. The ice was 12-15' thick. Almost 4 meters. Yes I'm sure that there was still fish under me even then.
We just hit a patch of warm weather here. it's a touch above freezing..
 
Here's a winter quiz for all our buddies south of the equator..

Name this critter! No need for spore.
 

Attachments

  • 20060306172655.jpg
    20060306172655.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 162
I'm thinking it's more of a BIG Fosters can!

no alcohol on this little boat Clifford, shes a dry ship .
no booze
no drugs
and no women
its apart of our OH&S that we don't even drink onboard after we unload and are tied in the moorings .
we drink on the wharf beside the boat sometimes, but never on it .
 
Bluey, Just to rattle your cage a bit I've driven double semi's out on the ocen up here. Like a road train but only 2 wagons. The ice was 12-15' thick. Almost 4 meters. Yes I'm sure that there was still fish under me even then.
We just hit a patch of warm weather here. it's a touch above freezing..

l seen a doco on the truck driving over the ice on the discovery channel .
adrenalin packed ,l like it mike
 
Here's a winter quiz for all our buddies south of the equator..

Name this critter! No need for spore.

Wow haven't seen one of those little buggers since 1998 climbing the Matanuska Glacier! Cool!
 

Attachments

  • Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    15.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 176
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 156
an alaskan ice snake...:headscratch::biggrin2:

WOW, Pretty damn close Bluey! :D
That's an ice worm. It actually lives in the ice year `round. It can get up to 75'/ 25m from what I've been told. But only that big around.
 
l seen a doco on the truck driving over the ice on the discovery channel .
adrenalin packed ,l like it mike

That TV show was just for tourist complete with scripts and fully lined out for the watchers. Nothing to do with very much real life. I know some of the drivers/actors and it's faked for TV.
Just like the rest of those so called "reality TV" shows. I knew a Crabber that was on that series too before he passed on. He said the same.
 
Bluey, Just to rattle your cage a bit I've driven double semi's out on the ocen up here. Like a road train but only 2 wagons. The ice was 12-15' thick. Almost 4 meters. Yes I'm sure that there was still fish under me even then.
We just hit a patch of warm weather here. it's a touch above freezing..

So you are one of those ice road truckers!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,306
Messages
1,572,357
Members
169,531
Latest member
BeckyFitzs
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top