Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
I like the way y’all think. I’m pretty sure I’m in the right group here. I have a .30-06 Winchester M70 I bought at the shop for like $200 about 4 years ago. We don’t specialize in bolt guns, so it’s been in inventory. Thinking of doing a .318 WR with it.

tarbe

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I am leaning real hard on doing a 400 h&h with a Mod 70. Sure, its not a 404, but its pretty unique! Plus that'll give me a 300/375/400 h&h all on M70's!

If you go that route, don’t stop! Finish off with 244 and 275 H&H.

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa

Here's a bull I took with a Model 70 Safari Express. 400 grain bullet at 2300fps. Hmmm sounds just exactly like a 404 J right? The bull even thought it was a 404.
He got back up and ran off when I told him it was a 416 Rem! Haha! :sneaky:

tarbe

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe

JMJ888

AH member
Reaction score
Media
As a lefty that collects/hoards Win M70 classics I know that outside of the custom shop they didn’t chamber any of the RUM rounds in LH Classic actions...those make the best candidates for 404 conversions. So that leaves us having to convert 7 Mag/300 Mag actions or even worse 375 H&H length. I have had a 375 H&H LH Classic converted to 375 RUM and it functions flawlessly so far. It is achievable but there isn’t a long list of gunsmiths that will take it on...just have to find one.

Nkawu

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
KZN Hunting Shooting & Conservation
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Sweden
As a lefty that collects/hoards Win M70 classics I know that outside of the custom shop they didn’t chamber any of the RUM rounds in LH Classic actions...those make the best candidates for 404 conversions. So that leaves us having to convert 7 Mag/300 Mag actions or even worse 375 H&H length. I have had a 375 H&H LH Classic converted to 375 RUM and it functions flawlessly so far. It is achievable but there isn’t a long list of gunsmiths that will take it on...just have to find one.

What other lefty Classics do you have? I have only managed to acquire one over the years (am not USA based).

JMJ888

AH member
Reaction score
Media
What other lefty Classics do you have? I have only managed to acquire one over the years (am not USA based).

All were left hand CRF New Haven Classics.

7 Rem Mag lefty was opened up and converted to 375 H&H.
My 300 Win was opened up and converted to 458 Lott and should be getting it back this week.
And I converted a 375 H&H Super Express to 375 RUM.

Nkawu

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
KZN Hunting Shooting & Conservation
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Sweden
All were left hand CRF New Haven Classics.

7 Rem Mag lefty was opened up and converted to 375 H&H.
My 300 Win was opened up and converted to 458 Lott and should be getting it back this week.
And I converted a 375 H&H Super Express to 375 RUM.

Fantastic! Let us know how the Lott shoots.

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I converted a 375 H&H Super Express to 375 RUM.

I had CP Donnelly rebarrel a Win 70 Super Grade 338 to 375 RUM and other than the barrel the only thing that was needed was a different follower for it to feed correctly. Did you have a similar experience?

elmerfudd555

AH senior member
Reaction score
I did not go ahead with the conversion as I still havent located a donor lefty model 70. Lost the auction on the one way back and havent found one since. And I just couldnt stand the idea of converting my 375 H&H. Still on my radar but in the interim I used the funds to upgrade my binos etc to Leica.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnteiFilsh

Latest profile posts

flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.