Winchester Safari Express to 404 conversion

I like the way y’all think. I’m pretty sure I’m in the right group here. I have a .30-06 Winchester M70 I bought at the shop for like $200 about 4 years ago. We don’t specialize in bolt guns, so it’s been in inventory. Thinking of doing a .318 WR with it.

I am leaning real hard on doing a 400 h&h with a Mod 70. Sure, its not a 404, but its pretty unique! Plus that'll give me a 300/375/400 h&h all on M70's!

If you go that route, don’t stop! Finish off with 244 and 275 H&H.

Here's a bull I took with a Model 70 Safari Express. 400 grain bullet at 2300fps. Hmmm sounds just exactly like a 404 J right? The bull even thought it was a 404.
He got back up and ran off when I told him it was a 416 Rem! Haha! :sneaky:

As a lefty that collects/hoards Win M70 classics I know that outside of the custom shop they didn’t chamber any of the RUM rounds in LH Classic actions...those make the best candidates for 404 conversions. So that leaves us having to convert 7 Mag/300 Mag actions or even worse 375 H&H length. I have had a 375 H&H LH Classic converted to 375 RUM and it functions flawlessly so far. It is achievable but there isn’t a long list of gunsmiths that will take it on...just have to find one.

As a lefty that collects/hoards Win M70 classics I know that outside of the custom shop they didn’t chamber any of the RUM rounds in LH Classic actions...those make the best candidates for 404 conversions. So that leaves us having to convert 7 Mag/300 Mag actions or even worse 375 H&H length. I have had a 375 H&H LH Classic converted to 375 RUM and it functions flawlessly so far. It is achievable but there isn’t a long list of gunsmiths that will take it on...just have to find one.

What other lefty Classics do you have? I have only managed to acquire one over the years (am not USA based).

What other lefty Classics do you have? I have only managed to acquire one over the years (am not USA based).

All were left hand CRF New Haven Classics.

7 Rem Mag lefty was opened up and converted to 375 H&H.
My 300 Win was opened up and converted to 458 Lott and should be getting it back this week.
And I converted a 375 H&H Super Express to 375 RUM.

All were left hand CRF New Haven Classics.

7 Rem Mag lefty was opened up and converted to 375 H&H.
My 300 Win was opened up and converted to 458 Lott and should be getting it back this week.
And I converted a 375 H&H Super Express to 375 RUM.

Fantastic! Let us know how the Lott shoots.

I converted a 375 H&H Super Express to 375 RUM.

I had CP Donnelly rebarrel a Win 70 Super Grade 338 to 375 RUM and other than the barrel the only thing that was needed was a different follower for it to feed correctly. Did you have a similar experience?

I did not go ahead with the conversion as I still havent located a donor lefty model 70. Lost the auction on the one way back and havent found one since. And I just couldnt stand the idea of converting my 375 H&H. Still on my radar but in the interim I used the funds to upgrade my binos etc to Leica.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg