Winchester Safari Express to 404 conversion

elmerfudd555

AH senior member
Reaction score
I know this forum has been around the block on this multiple times but Im going to ask (re-ask?) two questions:

I have an opportunity to pick up a mint Left handed safari express in 375 H&H, actually nicer wood than the one I currently have. Great price point. I want to convert to a 404 jeff. Ive searched high and low for a CRF ultramag as a donor rifle and have struck out. Have to do it with the 375.

Just to short circuit: I dont want a 416 Rem, 400 H&H or 470 Capstick. I want a jeff. Hell with logical paths in life.

Honest john opinion - will this work out well or have me freaking later?
Can you recommend a gunsmith (eastern USA) with experience doing these conversions?
Ballpark price points if you have done this? CZ wants an arm and a leg for a very plain rifle. Montana apparently cant do it yet in lefty (404 jeff)

Thanks folks!

H

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Other than getting a new barrel, follower and opening the boltface a tiny bit I don't see why it would be a problem.

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
You could look at having the barrel rebored and chambered by one of a couple different guys. I did a conversion on a Ruger RMS 375, Had Pac-nor rebarrelcost was 600ish. I did the sight work and had the new barrel and action cerakoted. It fed well with no problems. It is now in owned by another member of this forum.

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
Its a crf action. One of the last out of New Haven.
IMO, those are some of the very best ever produced by Win. Super smooth cycling and retained the excellent original Win 70 trigger.

Last edited by a moderator:

elmerfudd555

AH senior member
Reaction score
Agreed on the late New Havens. Mine is a 375 out of the custom shop and is very well built, shoots sub minute with nearly everything and is a pleasure to shoot. I won't pass this one up as they aren't easy to find.

Thanks everyone for the comments and assistance. I need to go buy that rifle.

8x68

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
OFAH, CCFR
Hunted
Canada, USA
I did almost the exact same conversion (different M70 model). I had a 375 H&H M70 Stainless CRF Classic rebarrelled to 404J.
I have a thread on here somewhere about it.
Basically it was "plug & play". It's been a while but if I remember correctly they had to modify the extractor groove, and feed ramp a bit. The barrel channel was also opened up a bit due to a slightly heavier contour barrel. Other than that it was straightforward.
Shoots like a dream.
Found a couple of older 404 threads you might be interested in. First one is about the conversion I had done.
Second thread is a much prettier version of a 404J

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/404-jeffery-project.23306/page-4#post-215852

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/finally-my-404-jeffery-has-arrived.23493/#post-214816

Last edited:

elmerfudd555

AH senior member
Reaction score
I did almost the exact same conversion (different M70 model). I had a 375 H&H M70 Stainless CRF Classic rebarrelled to 404J.
I have a thread on here somewhere about it.
Basically it was "plug & play". It's been a while but if I remember correctly they had to modify the extractor groove, and feed ramp a bit. The barrel channel was also opened up a bit due to a slightly heavier contour barrel. Other than that it was straightforward.
Shoots like a dream.
Found a couple of older 404 threads you might be interested in. First one is about the conversion I had done.
Second thread is a much prettier version of a 404J

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/404-jeffery-project.23306/page-4#post-215852

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/finally-my-404-jeffery-has-arrived.23493/#post-214816
Thanks for the information. I am definiteLy going this route. Should be a beautiful rifle when I'm done.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
I hope you will share the conversion journey with us !

Glenn Slaven

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
So reading some John Taylor on the john... and I get to the section on .404 Jeffery. So then I find this and some other threads on conversion. So then I go to GB and find a .375 H&H Winchester Safari (New Haven) (used for what I think is fair price) just to “what if” and “I wonder”.....and now I own it. ‍♂️

Couldn’t say no.

Glenn Slaven

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
We shall see how this goes. I may keep it as a .375 for a little while.

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
Check out Hill Country Rifles in New Braunfels, Texas. They do some real nice rebuilds.

2L8

AH veteran
Reaction score
If you want the barrel rebored JES has a reputation for quality work, fast turn around and a fair price. Muzzle Diameter would need to be a minimum of 0.623".

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
Check out Hill Country Rifles in New Braunfels, Texas. They do some real nice rebuilds.

In late January, I bought a Win Mod 70 Super Grade in 300 Rum off of GB for a donor to convert to 404 Jeff. I contacted Hill Country Rifles and they said they no longer would do this conversion because they cited the difficulty of getting perfect feeding required for a DG rifle. I ended up going to Dennis Olsen in Montana. We had a very long wait for Krieger to make the new barrel, almost 8 months. The rifle is just about done as Dennis sent me a few photos and I should have it in hand within a week or two.

Glenn Slaven

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
I’m wondering if a 400 H&H isn’t easier since it is from the 375 case. Just rebore and rechamber, and BAM. (At least that’s how it works in my head...)

tarbe

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
:eek: It is not a 404 Jeff!

There is a time for being practical, and there is a time for being responsible.

This is the time to be responsible. Do the .404J!! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaulCornwa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.