Why not a Single Shot?

I have made a wrist band shell holder from the 6 or 8 round elastic ammo carriers, cutting them to two rounds, placed on the wrist with ctg bases toward you when shouldering the rifle, they are pretty fast.
I have also used a 3” piece of bicycle inner tube around the forearm up under the scope with a ctg on either side of the bbl. This is pretty fast also. A pair of .375 mag ctgs stay in place with repeated firing with the inner tube. I also carry a spare round between 1st & 2nd fingers of my left hand.

As someone who has practiced reloading with a few designs (and actually beaten other practicing folks head to head) I would opt for the Ruger #1 over the 1885 High Wall, the Sharps, the Encore, and the NEF.
I found the break actions slower because of the ergonomics involved with opening the action putting me so far out of position for the remount and subsequent shot. The shotgun trigger on the NEF is annoying and the opening button seems like it should be on the opposite side of the hammer for best utility under time. The Encore/Contender has a good trigger, but then one has to deal with a captive extractor that must be manually cleared of the round unless you've made a rimmed cartridge choice, but even then you cannot reliably count on the "cowboy shuck" to clear a round with any substantial chamber pressure. I've had success with the Encore action in the field with multiple shots during an opportunity. I feel the tactical reload approach offers the best economy of motion. By this I mean breaking the gun with the firing hand and then reaching for a fresh cartridge between the index and middle fingers. The thumb and forefinger pull the spent case away from the action and discard it. Then the fresh cartridge is inserted and drive home with the thumb as the firing hand begins to close the action. I used an Encore pistol in the demonstration so as not to block the ammunition grab stroke. I believe the rifle is faster as the range of motion is reduced in the presentation. For your viewing pleasure I present both methods as best I could present them after a few repetitions to groove them in. Tactical Reload vs. Standard Reload
For those with safety concerns please observe that dummy rounds were utilized for this demonstration:View attachment 467354

I would opt for the Ruger #1 over the High Wall or Sharps because the tang safety is much faster than a hammer in my opinion. In the case of the Sharps the hammer must be cocked before the ejection stroke to prevent the firing pin from bending. In the case of the High Wall the hammer is cocked during the ejection stroke which is handy for follow on shots, but I wouldn't choose to have to cock it for the first shot. In all of the falling block actions I would choose an action mounted shell caddy for improved reload speed. I would endeavor to keep the rifle on the shoulder and tilt it as needed to facilitate ejection and loading.

I'm sorry for having to point this out @Forrest Halley but you are clearly cheating... Having a cheerleader slogan inscribed for you to read each time you look down to reload, is just not fair... There is no competing with such motivation...

:E Rofl: :E Rofl: :E Rofl:

1653218362202.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 7.23.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 7.23.20 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 7.23.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 7.23.22 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
Truly lovely rifle. Probably want to bring along a large wad of Kleenex so the post shot nosebleed doesn't damage the finish. :oops:

I have hunted DG with a Ruger#1, as stated earlier a 2nd shot can be made in comparable time or less than with a standard bolt. The 3rd shot does take a bit more time.

I checked with PH and outfitter prior to hunt and both told me that if anyone is crazy enough to hunt Buffalo with a single shot probably knows how to use it and had NO reservations of me bringing it.

I did have to make a quick 2nd shot on Nyala. After the dust settled, the PH turned to me with a puzzled look and said you are shooting a single shot aren't you?

He then asked me to show him how I got 2nd shot off so quick after showing him, he asked me to do it again, but in slow motion so he could see what was really happening.

Just remember as a kid, if dad gave you a box of 22 shells and a semi auto you came home with a few squirrels. If you got a single shot a 5 shells you came home with 5 squirrels.
Well done, sir! Perhaps you could make a video of your reloading technique in action?... Bet it would get a LOT of hits.

Truly lovely rifle. Probably want to bring along a large wad of Kleenex so the post shot nosebleed doesn't damage the finish. :oops:

I’ve been thinking the same thing. You’d better kill it with your first shot, as you may be too disoriented to take a second!

1653440741314.png

Here's something a little more to my taste and maybe a little easier on the face. Cheaper too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 7.24.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 7.24.14 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 7.24.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 7.24.16 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
Forgot about this thread for a bit. I love single shots and bolts, doubles, and semi's. Nothing in my post should be taken to disparage anyone's choice for hunting. I'm pretty quick with a single shot, and can certainly make 3 shots on an 8" plate in under 8 seconds. No single shot, and no single shot shooter, will come close to an R8 though. Fast enough for field use? All depends on the field, but for pure speed of a second shot, the single isn't even in the running. The truth is a good shooter with an R8 can keep up with almost anyone running a double too. I've seen professional PH's shoot doubles quite a bit slower than the R8. I'm sure some can also shoot faster.

Forgot about this thread for a bit. I love single shots and bolts, doubles, and semi's. Nothing in my post should be taken to disparage anyone's choice for hunting. I'm pretty quick with a single shot, and can certainly make 3 shots on an 8" plate in under 8 seconds. No single shot, and no single shot shooter, will come close to an R8 though. Fast enough for field use? All depends on the field, but for pure speed of a second shot, the single isn't even in the running. The truth is a good shooter with an R8 can keep up with almost anyone running a double too. I've seen professional PH's shoot doubles quite a bit slower than the R8. I'm sure some can also shoot faster.

@SLG
A good person with a single shot usually doesn't need a fast follow up shot. They know they only have one shot and 99% of the time they make sure that's the only shot they need.
A fast second shot may be handy in some situations and at times needed in a hurry but for most shooting I could happily live with a GOOD single shot.

@SLG
A good person with a single shot usually doesn't need a fast follow up shot. They know they only have one shot and 99% of the time they make sure that's the only shot they need.
A fast second shot may be handy in some situations and at times needed in a hurry but for most shooting I could happily live with a GOOD single shot.
Sure, but that's not my point. I would not feel undergunned with a single shot in almost any situation. But if you want to talk about speed, no single shot is even in the running. My accuracy doesn't change depending on the gun I'm carrying. My animals go down immediately regardless of how many rds are in my gun. I'm sure yours do too. I've also never in my life needed a fast follow up shot on game. I've also never hunted buffalo or lion, though it is clear that even a wounded DG animal will relatively rarely charge. Accuracy trumps speed, no question.

Anyone have a lightweight Ruger #1 in 458WM they want to sell me?

My first single shot rifle is a Merkel K5 model Jagd, its a very light Kipplauf in 7x65R which I bought last year, looking forward to trying it on Roe Bucks when they became legal here in Sweden next week. Extremely light rifle, weights in on 2,2 kg without the riflescope mounted.

The precision is also great, so far I have not tried it on a longer shooting distance then 180 meters, but from shooting sticks it groups 3 shots in about 3 cm so I guess it will work fine on longer distances aswell. But where I hunt (in Sweden) it will probably never be longer shots then that due to the small size of the meadows and forest clearings here.

20211214_134719.jpg

20211214_140355.jpg

… I was properly brought into hunting at an early age by my Grandfather, Upland Birds & Ducks on a well-used Winchester 20-gauge single. His mentoring simple, I was allowed one/1 shell in my pocket (like Deputy Barney Fife!) & I would learn to make smart choices & that 1st shot count!

It was a long hard walk through the plowed field around the slough for another shell & more embarrassing to return w/o a duck!

I equally wish to return to being in the infinitesimal percentage who have chosen to stay with the single-loaders.

Happy Trails.

Single shot rifles are my prefered hunting rifles. God blessed me with strength, not speed, so quick follow up shots are not part of my skill set. After more than 30 years for hunting with a single shot rifle I can honestly say I've never missed having a second shot.

Well done, sir! Perhaps you could make a video of your reloading technique in action?... Bet it would get a LOT of hits.

Surely not as fast as Mwag, but this was me practicing years ago with a 416 Remington. The shellholder was made by my wife. I killed my first two buffalo with that rifle.

I never felt I was a better or worse shot with a bolt gun or single shot. I do know I am faster with a bolt gun on the second shot, the amount of movement required gives the edge to the repeater. My doubles are even faster.

Single shot rifles are my prefered hunting rifles. God blessed me with strength, not speed, so quick follow up shots are not part of my skill set. After more than 30 years for hunting with a single shot rifle I can honestly say I've never missed having a second shot.
@Art Lambart II
Art my first rifle was an SMLE 303. I got to the stage I could empty that 10 round mag in double quick time with good accuracy. I have slowed down a bit as I got a lot older but still bloody fast compared to most.
Even tho I am not bad with a bolt gun I do get more joy out of hunting with my single shot hornet. I also spend a lot of time hunting with my bolt gun with ony one round in the mag and a couple of extra in my pocket to make it more interesting.
When my son started hunting I limited him to one shot at a time. He ask why when the magazine holds 5 and I miss with the first shot. My reply was your aim should always be to do the job with one shot, if you don't the animal was better than you. Choose your shot and make it count. He is now a good shot and carries his rifle with a full mag but very rarely needs a second shot unless it's on a mob of pigs then it's on for youn and old.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianguisy

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,