Ridge Runner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa
What is meant by "Once in a lifetime"...... hunt: beach trip: sightseeing trip: etc.?

I think I have found an answer, if not THE(E) answer....

It's what "we" do to get there:
Its the planning phase....
It's the anticipation of doing "IT" right.
The success or where did "I" go wrong, after the trip, at home.

It doesn't really matter if one takes an adventure to some place different just once in one's lifetime or regularly. It's always a "Once in a lifetime".

Its about selecting the adventure.
Its about what to do upon and after arrival.
Its about getting back home....(in one piece and safely).

After all isn't:

A hunt is only a once in a lifetime for that animal, as once it's killed it can't be hunted again. Thus any hunt can't be repeated.

A beach trip can't be repeated as for the ever changing waves, water temp, and shoreline.

A sightseeing trip, there's always something else to see, or something is different about (...?...) from the last time.

Experience just makes each "Once in a lifetime" adventure easier or simpliar.

We return to visit friends we've gained, perhaps bringing friends to share in an experience and perhaps make new friends.

Or "we" correct/change what went wrong the first time so this time will be much more enjoyable.

Really isn't everything no matter how repetitive a "Once in a lifetime"?

The adventure (as life) only becomes mundane when "WE" no longer find any excitement.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
@Ridge Runner ..........deep thoughts man..............

Talking Heads set their deep thoughts to music, back in the 80s

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
Hmmm. Never thought of it that way but you're right. Once it's done, it can't be duplicated. You can go back to the same place and go through the motions but the game, terrain, weather, etc. is different. We are different, older, slower, the gun is more worn, the load may be different. Even the details of taking the same species has changed as has the animal. The memories are there, just different to fit this adventure. Once in a lifetime? Maybe, but we keep on hunting despite the changes.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
What is meant by "Once in a lifetime"...... hunt: beach trip: sightseeing trip: etc.?

I think I have found an answer, if not THE(E) answer....

It's what "we" do to get there:
Its the planning phase....
It's the anticipation of doing "IT" right.
The success or where did "I" go wrong, after the trip, at home.

It doesn't really matter if one takes an adventure to some place different just once in one's lifetime or regularly. It's always a "Once in a lifetime".

Its about selecting the adventure.
Its about what to do upon and after arrival.
Its about getting back home....(in one piece and safely).

After all isn't:

A hunt is only a once in a lifetime for that animal, as once it's killed it can't be hunted again. Thus any hunt can't be repeated.

A beach trip can't be repeated as for the ever changing waves, water temp, and shoreline.

A sightseeing trip, there's always something else to see, or something is different about (...?...) from the last time.

Experience just makes each "Once in a lifetime" adventure easier or simpliar.

We return to visit friends we've gained, perhaps bringing friends to share in an experience and perhaps make new friends.

Or "we" correct/change what went wrong the first time so this time will be much more enjoyable.

Really isn't everything no matter how repetitive a "Once in a lifetime"?

The adventure (as life) only becomes mundane when "WE" no longer find any excitement.

So are you looking for an excuse to go back a few more times? You know so you can correct things from the previous hunts!?:ROFLMAO:

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
You betchum, Red Ryder, as Little Beaver used to say. As long as I can put one foot in front of the other and hold a rifle steady enough. Every time out we gain more experience and hopefully learn from it.

salesman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
No disagreement with thoughts of the OP.

However, regarding a "Once in a lifetime" hunt to the Dark Continent; my wife has a completely different interpretation of the concept. After 4 trips (currently planning #5) she just thinks it was a big lie I told her to be able to go the first time.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
We have people tell us that our trip must have been the "trip of a lifetime".
Our response is always the same, "Hopefully not with many more to come".

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Every hunt for me holds that saying. Every hunt is different, animals circumstances etc. All I know is keep them once in a lifetime experiences coming.

curtism1234

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Hunted: RSA, MO, WY. Fished: MO, IL, AR, MS, FL, WI, MI, WY
My take is the phrase is way overused or has been altered to mean something different than it used to.

My grandparents took a cruise to Alaska one time. Other than that, I'm not sure they ever left Missouri. That was a trip of a lifetime.

People are making travel a high priority today. That Alaskan cruise is now just Vacation 2019. Next year in Japan it's Vacation 2020.

I think social media has transformed how we spend our money, where we visit, etc. Everyone is trying to outcompete their Facebook friends by spending money they don't have and making sure all their high school classmates they haven't seen in 20 years know they travel to exotic places.

Mort Hill

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member SCI, Director-Music City SCI Chapter, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
SA, Zambia, Tanzania
My first trip to Africa 20 yrs ago was the trip of a lifetime, because I didn’t know if I’d ever get back. Blessed to say I was wrong, and wife just calls my annual trips “Your” vacation. She is absolutely right!

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Ridge Runner, I like the deep, far reaching thoughts that come from your provocative mind. When you think about it "TODAY" is a once in a lifetime opportunity. What we do with it, is how it will be remembered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kelsey65I

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J