Rare Breed

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Just want to thank everyone for all your help helping me enjoy both my guns and Africa! We have 100’s of years experience on our great forum. I don’t have to get frustrated when any issue comes up…I just have to reach out and ask for help. A great example was today…@Mark A Ouellette reached out to me on the phone and was a huge help with one of my challenges!!! So grateful to everyone!!!

Mark's a great member. I remember having a great conversation with him.
I also had a phone conversation with another member today regarding a gun deal. That was also quite a good talk.
Then there's @Bob Nelson 35Whelen. If you haven't had the pleasure to talk with him, put it on your bucket list. Bob's always a hoot to talk to.

This is truly a great forum.
I first joined back I 2018 I believe when researching my first safari.
I learned a lot over next years from valuable members.

Then about 2 years ago saw the need right after Covid that AHers were looking for items and I knew I could get them thru our shop. That's when I became more active and our shop a sponsor.
Best decision I ever made.

Whew! I thought you were going to start this with, "Hello, my name is Rare Breed ......."

But yes, it is a great site for a great group of largely like minded hunters.

Fully agree @Rare Breed, upon discovering this group of kind and likeminded madmen, I could not imagine myself not being a part of it. And no regrets either, I believe my membership and participation into this forum and the many discussions both public and private that have held, has been very impactful in my life. Thank you all for the great advice, friendship and many hours of shared entertainment around our common passion of hunting and fine firearms!

Despite the enablers on here that have assisted in shrinking my bank account acquiring guns I had not realized I needed until joining, this forum has been invaluable in the knowledge freely shared by a truly wide range of experience and expertise. It is also one of the friendliest forums I've found, not just in the realm of hunting & shooting. Finding and joining AH has been both educational and entertaining. Thanks!

I love this forum! But it is responsible for multiple very expensive addictions of mine... Safaris, guns, etc.
Agreed! This is truly a great forum that allows the sharing of information and experience that would otherwise be hard to find in the modern condition.

I also joined this forum in 2018 before my 1st safari in Africa. I have learned lots, from many different people on quite a few subjects. I also bought my first big bore rifle as a result of this forum. I haven’t been afflicted with the double rifle bug yet, but anything can happen.
Thank you all for making this site a wonderful experience, everyday.

Mark's a great member. I remember having a great conversation with him.
I also had a phone conversation with another member today regarding a gun deal. That was also quite a good talk.
Then there's @Bob Nelson 35Whelen. If you haven't had the pleasure to talk with him, put it on your bucket list. Bob's always a hoot to talk to.
@HuntingGold
Mate it's always a pleasure to talk to you and your charming family on What's app. It great to chew the fat with you and I feel I have got to know you better thru this method as I can put a face to the name. It's been great to get to talk to your daughter and yourself and feel I have got to know the man, the father and the legend in the lunch box.
Talk soon mate.
I also what's app with a few other members that I enjoy.
Bob

I could not agree more. I’m fortunate to have Mark Quellette living :45 south of me. I am not new to hunting or hunting Africa. However, I have gone to the dark side and switched from primarily archery hunting. To a full on addiction to larger “African style” European type actions or firearms. And larger bore rifles.

Mark, and AzDave have helped me dwindle down my hunting fund in 2023. And I love it. Between those two bad influences and the many others on this site. I have learned a lot. I was a lurker for years. Then jumped in with both feet in 2023.

This is by far the best hunting forum. Ease of use. Technology and knowledgeable members.

Thanks everyone.
Prost !

Great site, great people and resources though everyone is an enabler. Never thought I would own the rifles I have purchased in the past 6-7 years. Every rifle caliber was encouraged here. Getting me back to Africa and hopefully many more.I also say hats off to the moderators! Though things can get a little testy they never stray into the crap on other like forums. Thank you

Thanks for the compliments! Almost all Africa Hunting members here deserve some praise!

Africa Hunting forums provide an online community of persons with a common interest in hunting in Africa. That includes the animals, trophies, rifles, cartridges, professional hunters, trackers, skinners, food in camp, travel to and from, malaria, injuries, bugs, snakes, tipping, do’s and don’ts, and a thousand other things!

Toward the above, we are all from different backgrounds, hunting experiences, and in different stations in life. Because of the differences, we all bring something different to this forum. We all have strengths and weaknesses in regards to hunting, shooting, gun collecting, gunsmithing, fitness, travel, politics, finances, and life in general. Many of us share our knowledge freely expecting nothing in return.

I have made friends on AH, most of whom I’ve yet to meet. For those I have met in person, it was always an honor and a privilege. I’ve also gained have a few protégées and admittingly I have those I follow who unknown to them, are mentoring me.

Yesterday I observed there were over 10,000 persons logged into AH. Ten thousand! Gosh that’s a lot of hunters and probably a few anti-hunters. Some of us are very active on this forum and others may be reading every single post to learn but very rarely posting. But occasionally for some uncommon threads, unknown members post amazing answers that simply floor me with their accuracy and wisdom!

Last edited:
I became a member after reading hunt reports by our members. Some of these took me back to my childhood ( I know there's those that think I still haven't left it) reading books on hunting Africa.
I then decided to write my own hunt report and hoped others we old enjoy it.
During my time on this fabulous forum I have developed a lot of good friendships with people from both Australia and around the world. I'm in regular contact with some of these on what's app and it's great to put faces to names.
I have personally met a few members here in Australia and nicer people you won't find.
A few I never met in person like @bruce moulds and I regrett that but that's life. I hope to catch up with a few members next year overseas when my wife and I travel to the USA and parts of Europe.
Maybe I will catch with @BeeMaa and talk to him about his fetish with Barbie rifles over a few glasses of Bundy rum and Vegemite sandwiches.
I enjoy the banter on the forum and have also learnt alot during my time.
Like there are some people that actually like the 243winchester.
Fortunately @CoElkHunter saw the light and got himself a 25-06. If only I could convince him to get rid of that silly 338WM and get a 35 Whelen I would be a happy man.
Anyway it great to be a member of this most wonderful forum and it many characters both male snd female..
Thanks to Jerome for starting this forum and all the work that goes on behind the scenes.
Bob

I became a member prior to my first safari for the sake of learning from others experiences. Sharing my own came much later.

The (internet) friends I’ve made along the way have been an incredible resource as well. From buying and selling to spending time together. Meeting up at AH get togethers is great for putting a face to the avatar.

In the past few years it’s been talking on the phone or via WhatsApp with members that are now friends. You guys (and girls) are awesome!

I continue to learn so much from you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amparo8634

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.