Why Elephant?

This is a really hard one for me. I came to African hunting through literature, so for me hunting elephant is near mythical. Stopping the charge of an old tusker with a .577 NE would be the culmination of my hunting experiences. However, elephants are such intelligent and social creatures, I cannot help but feel that they should be left alone, much like whales and gorillas. For that reason, I have gone back and forth in my mind about whether I will end up hunting one. Ultimately, I want elephants as a species to survive and if that means hunting the old ones, then that is what must be done.
Hunting (properly regulated of course) is the ONLY way they will survive. Whether can or want to be a part of that is a personal choice that is to each their own, but if you do choose to hunt one you are directly contributing to that survival

Hunting (properly regulated of course) is the ONLY way they will survive. Whether can or want to be a part of that is a personal choice that is to each their own, but if you do choose to hunt one you are directly contributing to that survival
Truth! Granted I haven't been back to Zimbabwe since 2014, but I do stay in touch with what is going on. I can say with all sincerity that when and where I hunted my elephant, the funds where getting to the locals and making a difference, a big difference, on the ground the elephants lived on:)

You hunt a huge iconic animal..I love the thrill and excitement of the hunt itself..and the rifles and calibres involved...to me it is the pinnacle of hunting..

It is also about nostalgia..to still be able to do what elephant hunters did early in the last century..

I totally agree with you! Everything from the animal you are hunting, to the rifle you are using, to the location and adrenaline rush it is a truly surreal experience that just screams old Africa. Now obviously I do not mean to bash anyone or talk down on any fellow forum member so what i say next is just my opinion on the matter. If you shop around on this site and have extra time and some flexibility with dates you can get a really good deal for an elephant hunt in Zimbabwe. In this country you are hunting some of the wildest and i mean truly wild parts of Africa and the PHs are also among the best on the continent. I know Zim. used to have a super comprehensive process for becoming a PH not sure if it still is like this now but i believe it is. Not only do you get to hunt truly wild Africa, with a consummate professional, but you are also hunting one of the most iconic and biggest land mammals and the price is maybe 10-15K. Given the magnitude of this experience I personally could never see myself hunting exotics behind high fences in lets say Texas. For a similar price as an elephant hunt you instead are shooting a stinky old goat or a chemically enhanced whitetail. And often times it is in some tiny pen that resembles a farm enclosure more than the wilderness. I just personally do not understand how the two experiences can even be remotely comparable. And in hunting you are paying for the experience after all... I find one to be kind of under-priced and the other overpriced but that's just me...

I hunted Zimbabwe and it was tough. Only saw elephants two days out of ten. I originally had the hunt booked for Zambia. Was going to go be a combo with hippo and croc. That year Zambia closed their elephant hunting and I found out 6 months in advance. I was heartbroken!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouveniaBo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!