Why doesn't the .500 Jeffery get the love of that the .505 Gibbs does on this forum?

Many first time dangerous game hunters buy rifles in the Dangerous game caliber range from rifle shops, but nobody told them that you have to work on the action to get it to dangerous game hunting rifle capabilities like cycling dummies/live rounds(safety in mind) at fast speeds, working the bolt hard and fast, ejecting the round with speed without any jamming , few rifles is dangerous game hunting ready when you buy it from the shelves...
Some video footage of .500 Jeffery caliber build on standard Mauser actions...notice to ensure you do not run into feeding challenges it is worthwhile to use an inline feeding system with three rounds..I thing maybe enough to stop any animal that would like to trample you ...ensuring perfect shot placement naturally...to the die-hard .500 Jeffery followers who can never have too many .500 Jeffery rifles...

I've never understood why they would use a "lightweight" 535 gr bullet in a 500 caliber rifle, then boost the velocity up to 2400 fps and above. Seems it would've been better with a 570 or 600 grain at around 2200-2300 fps.

For me, at least, there will always be a certain romanticism surrounding the 505 Gibbs, since this was the cartridge carried by the PH Robert Wilson in Hemingway's The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber.

I've never understood why they would use a "lightweight" 535 gr bullet in a 500 caliber rifle, then boost the velocity up to 2400 fps and above. Seems it would've been better with a 570 or 600 grain at around 2200-2300 fps.

I suspect the first reason was the length of the cartridge.

One should not forget that this cartridge first should fit in an standard Mauser action. The cartridge would be longer with a heavier bullet in right position or the volume of the shell would be reduced if the bullet was seated deeper. Back then , it was very important to reach the muzzle velocity of 2400 fts , and that in an acceptable pressure range.

The cartridge shown in the video is not a cartridge 500 Jeffery !

Looks more like a 505 Gibbs !
getimage.jpg
getimage.jpg

Left .505 Gibbs middle .375 right hand side .500 Jeffery

That’s weird. We see him handling what look like .505 Gibbs cartridges but don’t get a good look at the shell he actually loads.

That’s weird. We see him handling what look like .505 Gibbs cartridges but don’t get a good look at the shell he actually loads.
Could be that he had only one round to shoot so to not waste more expensive loaded .500 Jeffery he used a 505 Gibbs round???? It is a ,505 Gibbs round he hold in his hands ..or a .500 Jeffery with a really looooong neck...very good noticing that kurpfalszager :A Banana::A Big Hello:

Some video footage of .500 Jeffery caliber build on standard Mauser actions...notice to ensure you do not run into feeding challenges it is worthwhile to use an inline feeding system with three rounds..I thing maybe enough to stop any animal that would like to trample you ...ensuring perfect shot placement naturally...to the die-hard .500 Jeffery followers who can never have too many .500 Jeffery rifles...

Periodically Fletcher Jameson's 500J is on display at DSC, along with a number of other famous rifles.

Here's a picture of my 500 Jeffery with cartridges in the foreground. Hard to tell from the video but I agree the cartridge in the video doesn't look quite fat enough. BTW it is not hard at all to get 2500 fps with a 570g bullet out of the 500 Jeffery with safe pressures. Your shoulder may not forgive you though.

ZfchaWX.jpg

Attachments

• ZfchaWX.jpg
    ZfchaWX.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited by a moderator:
Love mine Sako 85 in 500J
Changed recoil pad to lengthen pull while pad off installed mercury tube to balance now it comes up with sights on target. Before I always had to lift the front sight up to get proper sight picture.

A
Love mine Sako 85 in 500J
Changed recoil pad to lengthen pull while pad off installed mercury tube to balance now it comes up with sights on target. Before I always had to lift the front sight up to get proper sight picture.

Awesome, mine has 2 12oz mercury recoil reducers in it. Weighs in at 12 lbs with scope, sling unloaded. Just right for me at least, balance point is in the middle of the magazine floor plate.

Great looking rifle ...the .500 Jeffery will always be a favorite to hunters...(y)(y)

I suspect the bottom line is cost and recoil..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois