Why 180gr over 200+gr in 30.06?

I agree with trying a variety and seeing what your particular rifle likes. I tried to get 200gr Partitions to shoot well from my .30-06 Tikka, but never found a load I was happy with. However, the same rifle will stack 180gr Partitions into nearly the same hole. The 180’s will be going with me to SA this April.

Have shot a dozen or so animals with 180 grain 30-06 bullets, ranging from klipsringer to roan. Whatever bullet you choose make sure rifle groups it well.
Roan is a big animal what were the result of your Roan kill. I mean dead is dead but did it run far, drop on the spot blood trail ect ect????

Roan is a big animal what were the result of your Roan kill. I mean dead is dead but did it run far, drop on the spot blood trail ect ect????
We spotted the roan at about 300 yds and stalked in to about 100 and he decides to lay down. We talked about letting him get up on his own but decided to see how close we could get and ended up getting to about 30 yds when he got up and I put 180 grain Sako Hammerhead through both shoulders he ran about 30 or so yards and went down. Similar results with a bull gemsbok except he only went a couple of steps before going down.

2D26381C-EFBD-4FD5-9F15-89C18E15BC62.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
We spotted the roan at about 300 yds and stalked in to about 100 and he decides to lay down. We talked about letting him get up on his own but decided to see how close we could get and ended up getting to about 30 yds when he got up and I put 180 grain Sako Hammerhead through both shoulders he ran about 30 or so yards and went down. Similar results with a bull gemsbok except he only went a couple of steps before going down.

View attachment 516104
Wow!!! Awesome congratulations!!!

For bushveld conditions the 200gr is perfect and traveling at the right speed for more open areas the 180gr may be a good choice but not necessary.....
We culled many hippo at night with 200gr and 220gr solids.....exceptional penetration.....
Obviously I am not part of the need for speed crowd and high SD heavy for caliber bullets have always worked for me from PG to DG.....

My mauser m12 likes the sako hammerheads in 200 and 220 grn....unfortunately only got one box left of the 200grn, and dealer don't think is bringing in anymore.....but will try twist his arm for his next shipment :E Big Grin: ...same I like heavy bullets ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg