My wife and I are flying to JNB at the end of May. I contacted Qatar yesterday to see what prior notification was required to fly with firearms. They collected some information; the rifle description/caliber, ammunition quantity/weight, and case dimensions/weight. Upon updating the information in my reservation, they advised that I'm all set but need to present 4457, passport, declaration of surrender of firearm, and approved SAPS gun permit at the ticketing counter. Painless? I'll find out!

Well not exactly, you will need to email them a copy of your 4457, passport and invitation letter in advance. You will again and present those at check in again and the surrender of firearm. The email address is in my Takeri review. And you need to get confirmation from Qatar that your firearm is approved. You cannot rely on the phone reps that it’s approved.

Don’t know how you get these deals. Just called Patrick’s business and the best they could do on Qatar was $8600! Same as on the website. and this is for a September trip.
You have to start early and watch for deals. You can set a google flight alert as well. It can be very specific with the exact dates, cities, and class of service you select. (www.google.com/flights) It does require a google account which I have from YouTube.
This sub $5K deal only lasted a week or so then rotated to another departure city.
For next year I am going to start very early with the google alert. I'll have a group trip to Namibia in May for PG and Zimbabwe again in August For DG. My goal is to fly Qatar direct and skip JNB. Air travel is maddening but when you get a deal like me and my group did this year it is sweet!
Regards,
Philip

Been looking to try a Qsuite myself! Finally, after 15 years and 7 safaris, my wife finally feels comfortable that our kids are old enough for her to join me on a trip to RSA later this year. This will be my 40th birthday and delayed anniversary so I was gladly going to splurge, however, I cannot seem to find anything less than 15K for round trip tickets. Hard to justify when I can get a premium economy for $2500. Planning on building a house this year and will use an Amex for as much as possible in hopes that I will have enough points for years to come and that Qsuite won't be so hard to swallow.
Definitely monitor on points here. I booked on their expanded availability (2x normal rates) with points round trip for 200,000 avios DFW-DOH-JNB. Caught a 25% bonus avio transfer offer so it ended up only costing me 160,000 points. Granted I went in January and spent a lot of time monitoring the website for deals and was flexible on actual safari dates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamebaidoithuong0

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.