Who uses a 303?

In South Africa there are still quite a few hunters that use the .303 . Many people have had .303s passed down to them from older family members or if one was in the SA Army up until 1994 and you had 5 years service or more you could buy a Lee Enfield No4Mk 1 or 2 for 50 South African Rand , that included 100 Mk 7 rounds and a bayonet . ( I bought a No4 Mk 2 )
Due to the supply of military surplus 303s there were many "gunsmiths " that specialized in "sportarizing" the old 303s in the 70s , 80s and 90s , some of these 303s turned out really well and some not so well . There are still a lot of old 303s available in SA and most can be picked up for relatively low prices .
I have a friend that has a standard military LE No 4 Mk 2 , all that he has done to it is mount a scope on it , this rifle has shot sub MOA groupings at 100m a few times . This rifle has become his 15 year old daughters favorite hunting rifle which she has been shooting since she was 13 years old .

So I took a snap of a few of my BSA Sporters & Lee Speeds, have double this is 303 Exmil & some BSA Sporters & Lee Speeds not complete yet or not with me yet .

Some of my BSA Sporters.jpg

There are a 375Ex 2 1/2in & a 8X50R in this lot, I like using the bottom Westley Richards & the Greener the most, just feel right !

Some of my Lee Speeds .jpg

So I took a snap of a few of my BSA Sporters & Lee Speeds, have double this is 303 Exmil & some BSA Sporters & Lee Speeds not complete yet or not with me yet .

View attachment 436952

There are a 375Ex 2 1/2in & a 8X50R in this lot, I like using the bottom Westley Richards & the Greener the most, just feel right !

View attachment 436953
You seem to have an addiction to these rifles:p

smellys.jpg

L-R: 1947 BSA No5 MkI, 1943 Long Branch No4 MkI (bubba'd) & 1944 Lithgow No1 MkIII.

The jungle carbine was my 1st centerfire rifle, it was given to me by an uncle 37-38 years ago. He recently passed away, I'll never part with it.

I have a Ruger No1, a No 5 Jungle Carbine and having a No4 turned into a sporter- it was already just an Action when I bought it. I also have Dads old Slazenger 22 Hornet, made on a Lithgow 303. Now this rifle with the right ammo will put 10 shots into less than an inch at 100 yards.

I have a Ruger No1, a No 5 Jungle Carbine and having a No4 turned into a sporter- it was already just an Action when I bought it. I also have Dads old Slazenger 22 Hornet, made on a Lithgow 303. Now this rifle with the right ammo will put 10 shots into less than an inch at 100 yards.
@Rule303
If you ever lose the mag for the Hornet they are a Savage 340 mag.
I have on floating around in the gun room if you want it as a spare mate. Free of charge of course.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois