Who uses a 303?

In South Africa there are still quite a few hunters that use the .303 . Many people have had .303s passed down to them from older family members or if one was in the SA Army up until 1994 and you had 5 years service or more you could buy a Lee Enfield No4Mk 1 or 2 for 50 South African Rand , that included 100 Mk 7 rounds and a bayonet . ( I bought a No4 Mk 2 )
Due to the supply of military surplus 303s there were many "gunsmiths " that specialized in "sportarizing" the old 303s in the 70s , 80s and 90s , some of these 303s turned out really well and some not so well . There are still a lot of old 303s available in SA and most can be picked up for relatively low prices .
I have a friend that has a standard military LE No 4 Mk 2 , all that he has done to it is mount a scope on it , this rifle has shot sub MOA groupings at 100m a few times . This rifle has become his 15 year old daughters favorite hunting rifle which she has been shooting since she was 13 years old .
 
So I took a snap of a few of my BSA Sporters & Lee Speeds, have double this is 303 Exmil & some BSA Sporters & Lee Speeds not complete yet or not with me yet .

Some of my BSA Sporters.jpg


There are a 375Ex 2 1/2in & a 8X50R in this lot, I like using the bottom Westley Richards & the Greener the most, just feel right !

Some of my Lee Speeds .jpg
 
So I took a snap of a few of my BSA Sporters & Lee Speeds, have double this is 303 Exmil & some BSA Sporters & Lee Speeds not complete yet or not with me yet .

View attachment 436952

There are a 375Ex 2 1/2in & a 8X50R in this lot, I like using the bottom Westley Richards & the Greener the most, just feel right !

View attachment 436953
You seem to have an addiction to these rifles:p
 
smellys.jpg

L-R: 1947 BSA No5 MkI, 1943 Long Branch No4 MkI (bubba'd) & 1944 Lithgow No1 MkIII.

The jungle carbine was my 1st centerfire rifle, it was given to me by an uncle 37-38 years ago. He recently passed away, I'll never part with it.
 
I have a Ruger No1, a No 5 Jungle Carbine and having a No4 turned into a sporter- it was already just an Action when I bought it. I also have Dads old Slazenger 22 Hornet, made on a Lithgow 303. Now this rifle with the right ammo will put 10 shots into less than an inch at 100 yards.
 
I have a Ruger No1, a No 5 Jungle Carbine and having a No4 turned into a sporter- it was already just an Action when I bought it. I also have Dads old Slazenger 22 Hornet, made on a Lithgow 303. Now this rifle with the right ammo will put 10 shots into less than an inch at 100 yards.
@Rule303
If you ever lose the mag for the Hornet they are a Savage 340 mag.
I have on floating around in the gun room if you want it as a spare mate. Free of charge of course.
Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,307
Messages
1,572,362
Members
169,540
Latest member
NonaG07838
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top