Who uses a 303?

If you mean 303's I have over 30 of them & about half are Lee Speeds & BSA Sporters, not all of them are in 303 how ever ?
@Sarg
If'n they aren't all 303 what are they.
I had a No4 action rebarred to 444 marlin that was awesome. Stupid me sold it to build my Whelen so no regets really.
Bob

@Sarg
If'n they aren't all 303 what are they.
I had a No4 action rebarred to 444 marlin that was awesome. Stupid me sold it to build my Whelen so no regets really.
Bob

Just got back home, I have .375Ex 2 1/2in plus two barrels in same & 8x50R factory Lee Speed & a .405 Win not assembled for last 12yrs or so as a project, but most are in .303 Brit.

"How about some photos ?"

Of which, if I get time I could be that, but photos of 15+ old 303s is not going too be exciting, even Parker Hales .

The Speeders & BSA Sporter maybe more so, I have two more Speeders & one more BSA Sporter on the way to me but this lock down will not be helping ?

40m drop on spot 150 PPU Charles Lancaster 303
EjRJH7.jpg

sow in thick bamboo
cnK3Be.jpg

7ZfAQp.jpg

Nice work there, I have been culling Deer & Pigs last few months use a 308Win & 150gr PPU (as supplied) & if the 303 150gr projectile is similar it should do good work ?

I have shot over 800 animals now, a fair few at 400m & one at 667m (6ft hold over & 3 animals deep) & that 150gr PPU has been doing wonders .

I have a few 303's, but I really have no idea what they are exactly. You guys know a lot more about them than I do!

Nice work there, I have been culling Deer & Pigs last few months use a 308Win & 150gr PPU (as supplied) & if the 303 150gr projectile is similar it should do good work ?

I have shot over 800 animals now, a fair few at 400m & one at 667m (6ft hold over & 3 animals deep) & that 150gr PPU has been doing wonders .
@Sarg
Where are you doing all that culling mate.
Bob

@Cam Moon
You will have to get them out and see what they can really do and have some fun.
Bob
One I gave to my brother (he has a hobby farm with some pigs), and two I have at home. I thought I had another, but I'm not sure where it would be! Of the two I can lay my hands on, I haven't shot the one for probably 30 years, and the other I picked up fairly recently, but haven't fired it.

Funnily enough, I have three Lee Enfields and a P14, but none are in 303. I used to have a jungle carbine and a Parker Hale No.4 in 303 but both had terrible stocks and would kick the shit out of me when I fired them. Hopefully I can pick up a nice three o' before too long!!

Roger

Sestoppelman - thx for sharing your nice classic & a memorable ‘blast from my past!’

My Grandfather had a .303 British, no scope, wrapped in a blanket, corner of his closet for years & carried seasonally in deer camp. He was a crack shot w/ open sights but I don’t recall a deer falling to the .303 (?) so I believe today - his time in camp w/ the rifle was ‘the moment’ vs. the hunt.

After my Grandfather passed, .303 was moved to the Rifle Rack - not safe, wall rack so dating myself to mid 1970’s & my eldest Uncle deemed me the carrier of .303 in deer camp. Back then - I felt like the ‘awkward’ teen in camp carrying the antique & the guy who should get a “BVD wedgie” while the other teens had modern rifle makes/calibers.

I realize today, I was the blessed Rock Star to carry the .303 in camp & was given camp nickname “Lee Speed” w/ a No. #2 or #4, I cannot recall? It is safely locked away in my Fathers Gun Safe today & awaiting the next young “Lee Speed” in camp … I’m guessing, Granddaughter! Happy Trails.

Ruger No. 1 A Light Sporter, 215 gr Woodleigh Round Nose.... penetrates pigs from stem to stern...

:cool:

HWL

The .303 is to Europe and early South Africa is what the 30.06 is in the USA. A military gun that made a superior hunting caliber.

My first caliber high powered rifle I ever owned. Bought it at a pawn shop.

I've got a Watson Brothers Martini in .303 that I bought not long ago, but haven't made a kill with it.....yet. It shoots to point of aim at 50 yards with Remington 215 gr factory ammo.

I've got a Watson Brothers Martini in .303 that I bought not long ago, but haven't made a kill with it.....yet. It shoots to point of aim at 50 yards with Remington 215 gr factory ammo.
I made 10 or 12 of the Lee Speed styled stocks for the MLE but the Martini Enfield in 303 was one I relly enjoyed working on. Like many of the rifles I had through my hands this was another one bought to be restocked. Buying those with broken, rotted or missing stocks allowed me to have them at very decent prices and the pleasure of bringing them back to their former usefullness.
Photo0888.jpg

Martini Enfield 303.jpg

110 yd head shot facilitated by the aperture sights (new owner pic)
Head shot.png

wow you did a great job on the rifle and the deer. The one I have is actually a sporter with a ribbed barrel and some engraving and a fancy stock. It also came with the fitted case. the case is in rough shape and the only remaining accessory is a pull through. The rifle is in good shape though.

Central North Island NZ @Bob Nelson 35Whelen, things are different here now days with very high animal numbers in a lot of areas with very few Helicopters operating & a small market for Wild Shot animals, but this property was just crazy, over 8000ha all up but most of them coming from a small area !

Shot my first African animal with an old .303 and solids. Shot my second with a G3 and solids. CNS shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg