Who owns and uses these calibres

who owns and uses rifles in the following calibres

• Total voters
I took my 9.3 to RSA last April just for the Kudu. I ended up getting a Gemsbok with it as well. Its a CZ550FS.

IMG_0388.JPG

Mike, I do not own one, the Whelen (or as you put it quite a while back "the 35 whatchacallit") is pretty close to your Rigby but, it is not the question you are seeking an answer for. The 7 x 57 has always intrigued me though.

Mike, I do not own one, the Whelen (or as you put it quite a while back "the 35 whatchacallit") is pretty close to your Rigby but, it is not the question you are seeking an answer for. The 7 x 57 has always intrigued me though.

scott will have to look up the stuff on the 35 thingymabob ;) but this is from the kynoch page on the .350 Rigby. they used to load solids for it as well but dont seem to now.........

http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/350 Rigby.htm

you could get an older rigby rifle in .275 for about £1,500.00 not that long ago , so not that expensive as most think. mine was made in the late 1940`s and i got it for that price with the canvas covered hard case. they are nice and trim the old ones. mine was never set up for a scope so only has iron sights and must hace been regulated for the 175 grn bullet as it shot high with the 140 grn.

Did a quick check on a couple of sites and $6250 was the cheapest I could find on the Rigby 275. Sounds like an investment you can have fun with!:A Way To Go:

scott will have to look up the stuff on the 35 thingymabob ;) but this is from the kynoch page on the .350 Rigby. they used to load solids for it as well but dont seem to now.........

http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/350 Rigby.htm
The info I found was with the heavier bullets (heavier than I shoot) 275's and 300's and they were quite comparable. The Rigby did have the edge though.

Heres a couple of pics of my mates Rigby 350 taken just before he sent it off to the new owner. Doesn't get much better. Think he is still kicking himself.
350Rigby06_zps7bf13a99.jpg

350Rigby01_zps4fd5ada7.jpg

Attachments

• 350Rigby01_zps4fd5ada7.jpg
    350Rigby01_zps4fd5ada7.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 350Rigby06_zps7bf13a99.jpg
    350Rigby06_zps7bf13a99.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wanted a good .275 Rigby. Not an actual Rigby of course, you know, because EXPENSIVE. I'd love a nice Mauser actioned 7x57 Mauser though.

Me too! Maybe we can get a group or package deal!!!

I have used the 7x57 for many years here in Pennsylvania since I was 14 using 175 grains cause the were cheap and I was broke. That big, long, round nose never failed me. It wasn't sexy, it just put 2 holes in every animal if I did my job. That's when I discovered 2 holes are better than one. Other guys in camp mostly WW II Vets and us kids had been bitten by the magnumitis bug, more speed, more power, the trade being less accuracy. I too was bitten for a while using a 7mm Rem Mag, nice gun went back to the little seven. I was 17 and a skinny kid at the time. My buddy knew the key to success was excess, to do me one better bought an Interarms Mark X in 300 Win Mag
He missed the biggest 8 point he had ever seen up to that time and he would never admit it but it was him being afraid of his rifle or more to the point his choice in calibers.

I went on my first Safari in 2012 I took my 76 Dakota 275 Rigby and a 338 Federal Custom John Gallagher rifle based on a Remington model 7 skeltonized, shot 9 animals with 11 shots including the insurance on a Cape Kudu. My opinion is if you like the 7x57, try a .338 federal I can't think of a better African cartridge for game up to 600/700 pounds, performance way beyond that of cartridge capacity, in a nicely, balanced quick handling fly rod of a rifle.
The Federal duplicates everything that the old classics .333 Jeffrey .318 Westley Richards did and also the 338/06 and the South African .338 Sabi
If you want to see something neat go on Federal's website and compare the 338 Federal to the 300 Win Mag and the 338 Win Mag.

By the way on my trip to South Africa
I used
185 TSX in the 338
160 TSX in the 275
We never recovered a bullet

Last edited:
Just a quick note based on my observations:

When modern gunmakers do a "tribute" sort of nostalgia gun in 275 Rigby and label it as such, it is actually a 7x57mm Mauser. Finding proof loads and reamers and cutters for a true .275 Rigby is not an easy feat so they just use the standard mauser tools to get the job done.
An example of this would be Ruger for one that immediately comes to mind.

Once upon a time there was a definitive difference on bullet diameter between the two cartridges as acknowledged by CIP and the two English Proof Houses but usually unless its a London best gun today they just call it 7x57 since all houses use metric denotations when possible post-1989.

If I'm not mistaken, the rigby specs are about .003" larger bullet diameter truth be told.

If you don't need London best, just do a search for 7x57 double rifles and you'll find many excellent makers producing them. Holt's has large swaths of them come through the auction.

Just curious about the poll: Why is there no love on this forum for the 6.5x55 SE ? I can't think of a finer cartridge that is a beautiful counterpoint to the 7x57 than the 6.5x55. They are ballistically near twins with the 6.5 affording better BCs and lower grain weight bullets up to 140gr, and the 7x57 picking up the slack from 140gr-175gr.

Karamojo Bell certainly liked both very much (and technically the 6.5x54 MS) and had no trouble doing brain shots on elephant with those two combined in greater numbers than in all other calibers.

You cannot adore the 7x57 without adoring its brother the 6.5x55, I rest my case members of the jury!

Just curious about the poll: Why is there no love on this forum for the 6.5x55 SE ? I can't think of a finer cartridge that is a beautiful counterpoint to the 7x57 than the 6.5x55. They are ballistically near twins with the 6.5 affording better BCs and lower grain weight bullets up to 140gr, and the 7x57 picking up the slack from 140gr-175gr.

Karamojo Bell certainly liked both very much (and technically the 6.5x54 MS) and had no trouble doing brain shots on elephant with those two combined in greater numbers than in all other calibers.

You cannot adore the 7x57 without adoring its brother the 6.5x55, I rest my case members of the jury!
Could not agree more the 6.5x55 swede is a great round especially with premium bullets there is no stopping a 140/160 grain at 2600 fps and is pleasure to shoot promoting fine accuracy

Jeasus rigby and jefferies on the shopping list ...have the rest .....

Obscure calibers there has to be a cure .......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg