Which species draws you back to Africa?

This year I hunted SA and Zim for DG. Next year both trips will be to SA. I will hunt buff with Craig Boddington at Chico and Sons in Limpopo near Waterbury Biosphere close to Polokwane. The second hunt (different trip) will be another trip with Dieter Prinsloo of Mattanja Safaris (forum sponsor) for CBL and another croc and buff as well in Limpopo also. Two trips to 3 ranches in SA and all for DG. Some of the hunting will be filmed and for '25, we are looking at filming DG in Zim.

Last edited:
What draws us back is a big question!

So far there are two places on this planet than when I get off the plane the earth says welcome home. Africa and Alaska. Still have more places to visit but both will always sing their sirens song for me.

Africa the sights, sounds and smells. Cape dove in the morning, smell of buff on the wind when close, sunrise and sunset.

Predators: on the cats I still want a lion and african wild cat, that will give me all the cats that are not on the almost impossible to get a permit for. Tiny ten. A big warthog or kudu is always on the list of opportunity. Then comes BUFF!!!! and Elephant. Tracking hunts are what makes me the happiest.

Dave I wholly agree. Having lived in Alaska, the only other place that speaks to me that loudly is Africa! They are very different but they pull on me in similar ways. My 2 fav places on earth.

Holy grail kudu and scumcap buff
Windhoek lager figures in there somewhere . Leapard sawing and lions roaring get my heart pounding Where I live in Missouri I hear doves which always makes me think Africa
Pushing 20 trips you would think it’s out of my system but it’s not
It was only going to be once shooting a striped horse to kill a spotted cat. Fat chance

The big draw for me is Wildebeest. There is just something about them that I cannot get over. I want to complete the wildebeest slam. So far I have got a Blue Wildebeest and a Black Wildebeest in SA. I am not including the color variants at the moment except for the Gold since it is a naturally occurring variant. The only one I don’t think I will ever get to hunt would be an Angolan wildebeest.

Already planned or not yet? Curious where you are going. I think my next ele will be in Matetsi for non-trophy but my PH is lobbying for Gona Reh Zou in the future. He wants to swing for the fence but the cost makes my eyes water.
No plans yet. I just did two hunts in Zim the last two years, so I assume that's where I'll return for a bull Elephant. My dad has dementia, and is getting worse, so I've decided to put international hunting on hold for now. My mom is having a tough time taking care of him by herself.
Yes, some of those Elephant hunts are definitely eye watering! But, if you're going to take a really big one, it definitely won't be cheap.

For me it's the hunt it selves. Have found out that it wasn't more fun or exciting to shoot a buff than a steen bok. And of course the food, wine and to hunt where I don't have to freeze half to death!:giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
No plans yet. I just did two hunts in Zim the last two years, so I assume that's where I'll return for a bull Elephant. My dad has dementia, and is getting worse, so I've decided to put international hunting on hold for now. My mom is having a tough time taking care of him by herself.
Yes, some of those Elephant hunts are definitely eye watering! But, if you're going to take a really big one, it definitely won't be cheap.
Kudos to you for focusing on family priorities. You will have more time later plus that gives you time to plan/save. You're right about the size of elephants being connected to the area you hunt. Sometimes you can get a nice surprise. I felt like my 50 pounder was a real nice surprise this year. To go for something much bigger, you would have to get into some really prime areas and be patient. If you're REALLY serious, you have to be willing to go home without shooting, which is hard.

If you told me today, that I will only be able to hunt one African animal for the rest of my life, I'll have to say Kudu. The Kudu for me is like the North American Whitetail, I can't get enough of them and it's my favorite antelope. Wife gave me the green light to hunt all the Kudus I want. :LOL::LOL:

If you told me today, that I will only be able to hunt one African animal for the rest of my life, I'll have to say Kudu. The Kudu for me is like the North American Whitetail, I can't get enough of them and it's my favorite antelope. Wife gave me the green light to hunt all the Kudus I want. :LOL::LOL:
Do you continue to do the taxidermy or just enjoy the hunt and take photos? Hey, if you told me I could only hunt kudu for the rest of my life, I wouldn't be mad about that! They are beautiful, interesting and good to eat.

Funny you asked. I saw a picture of a trophy room, and it had something like 9 or 10 different Kudos, with all different shape spiral horns. I showed my wife the picture and told her I wanted to do that. She laughed and said sure why not. However, after my last safari to the Eastern Cape, I do not believe I'll have enough room in the house for shoulder mounts. So, to answer your question, from now on, most likely will be Euro mounts and there will be a time when I will not be able to fit anymore, so I will settle for the experience and photos. Unless I hunt and shoot a Sable, and I'll find a place to hang him. LOL!!!!!

Funny you asked. I saw a picture of a trophy room, and it had something like 9 or 10 different Kudos, with all different shape spiral horns. I showed my wife the picture and told her I wanted to do that. She laughed and said sure why not. However, after my last safari to the Eastern Cape, I do not believe I'll have enough room in the house for shoulder mounts. So, to answer your question, from now on, most likely will be Euro mounts and there will a time when I will not be able to fit anymore, so I will settle for the experience and photos. Unless I hunt and shoot a Sable, and I'll find a place to hang him. LOL!!!!!
Wall space is at a premium for most of us. I have thought about doing more pedestal mounts and I appreciate nice wood craftsmanship. It's not cheaper but it is one way to work through space issues. I also find that it makes taxidermy more approachable/intersesting to non-hunters. They seem to like looking at a nice wood pedestal floor mount.

You've seen a LOT of RSA. What about switching to Zim for a buff, ele or hippo hunt? Don't end on a bad note.

Thank you, but I have a hippo, a buff, and joined friends of mine on their buff and lion hunts twice.

Ele is a good idea, but it would have to be a nice one, and those are way above my budget.

Perhaps hunting somewhere other than South Africa would reignite the fire. I’ve been on 8 hunts across 5 different countries, only 1 was in South Africa and I’m not likely to hunt there in the future except a hunt or two for specific species like Limpopo Bushbuck. I simply find hunting wilder, unfenced country to be much more appealing. My last 3 African hunts were all in Tanzania; next 3 that are booked will be in Cameroon, Mozambique & Congo.

Nothing against South Africa at all, but I’m guessing a change of scenery would do wonders for you.

Thank you, I agree, and there are certainly some interesting animals to take in those countries, however, cost would be an issue, and I just don´t have the space to display any more trophies.

If I win the lotto, and buy a larger house, I will certainly take your advice :D Cheers:

I guess "Coming back" doesn't apply to me as June 2024 will be my first venture. I have 7 animals on my wish list. Impala, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, Kudu, Blesbok, Gemsbok, and Honey Badger. The 2 that I am looking most forward to pursuing are the Kudu and the Honey Badger.

The ones that are drawing me back are the ones I haven’t hunted yet.

Bongo and LDE aside; Elephant, roan, lechwe, and leopard top that list for me. However, I really care more about the totality of the hunt than the thing in the crosshairs. I just want to hunt a worthy quarry in the heat and misery.

Next place will probably be Zim. Although, I would rather go to CAR or Cameroon.

I guess "Coming back" doesn't apply to me as June 2024 will be my first venture. I have 7 animals on my wish list. Impala, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, Kudu, Blesbok, Gemsbok, and Honey Badger. The 2 that I am looking most forward to pursuing are the Kudu and the Honey Badger.
Hey man, the honey badger will change your life! He is a worthy challenge!

Buffalo for sure!

Lion
Leopard
Elephant
Rhino (black only, no darting, impossible, I know)
Waterbuck
Sable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KayleighMe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.