Which species draws you back to Africa?

Have you thought about Uganda? WTA had a hosted hunt special for around 17k including the charter! If not for having plans already, I considered it. Great place to look for a scrum cap.
Im a little torn, I think I relate to the "next place, next species", but also think I might have a hard time justifying the trip unless I tracked some sort of DG. I would love a scrum cap and seen a few (youtube) shows making it seem like Uganda had a high percentage. Why would that be?

I thought about starting a thread about how one might go about planning a trip with high odds of finding a scrum cap.

Freaking everything. Oh wait... you probably wanted something more specific. :p

Kudu will always be on the list for me, for every subsequent trip I still hope to make. They were the first thing I ever wanted, back in college, and I have 3 so far. I'll take as many more as I can get.

Warthog have seriously grown on me since my first trip. Ditto what I said about kudu.

Two cow buff down, and I REALLY want a bull. I'd say they'd be an every time thing I would want but that might get expensive, and I have other stuff I want to hunt too.

It is true also that species I haven't hunted will draw me back. Two that have REALLY grown on me since my first trip are crocodile and hippo. I have hunted neither so far, and hope to change that in the years to come.

And reading the recent lion threads, I want to hunt lion. A male lion. I have reached out to one sponsor here and may chat up another one soon. I fall into the camp of I'm good with it done right with a reputable outfitter, and I worry the window is going to close, so I need to piss or get off the pot. I had said once I wouldn't want to hunt lion because I do not find returning home without the trophy palatable. I am moving past those sentiments. A truly wild lion in a truly wild place would be wonderful, but that's never going to be within my financial reach, not if I want to hunt other stuff too, both here at home and over there.

It is interesting that we have limited time and finances so we must prioritize, but those priorities and interests seem to morph over time. At least that has been the case for me. I had no interest originally in hunting anything In Africa other than buffalo. Then I learned about Eland… No interest in leopard or lion, until recent sentiments changed regarding a lion tracking hunt but then I have several trips in the USA, Europe and South America (fishing mostly) seems I am being tugged in every direction! I just guess I try to jump on every opportunity I get these days.

I never thought I would say this but it is primarily buffalo! I am still after the last two tinies so I must say that keeps me coming back. Overall it is the adventure of international travel that has taken hold of me. The further it is and the harder it is to get to is where I want to go.
It is also sharing the safari adventure with others that excites me. I've taken just about all of the PG in Southern Africa. So taking others on their first safari keeps it all new to me.

Primarily elephant..

Primarily elephant..
Agreed. In your case, which type of elephant hunt are you trying to do more of...exportable, non-exportable, tuskless, etc? I will be doing more "non-trophy" primarily with some tuskless and exportable mixed in over the years.

I really love hearing about people going after some form of DG for the first time. Please share your experiences back here with us! Reading those accounts really brings the memories flooding back in.

My next ele hunt will probably be non-trophy after taking the exportable 50 pounder this season. Then you've got trouble makers like my PH who sends me this from Gona Re Zhou and says when are we going?!? Yea man...86 pounder...wow!

Gonarezhou ele 86 lbs.jpg

I´ve hunted 47 animals in RSA, of 29 different species. My last hunt (report still to be written), was such a disappointment, that I think this has been my last.

It's interesting to hear what lights people up. I knew one guy who loved hunting baboons and would do that every time. That's one thing I haven't done...I enjoy watching them without shooting.

the lure of Africa is what draws me back. Ontario stole my line. The call of the dove in the morning takes on a whole new meaning. I journey all over the African continent seeking new adventure. The four sub species of Sitatunga, all legal sub species of bushbuck, forest bongo, Mountain nyala, Lord Darby eland, patiently awaiting leopard, and always buffalo always buffalo. Plus sunrise and sunset. The smell of woodsmoke. Africa

I’ve been lucky to have taken many quality animals. Even my first trip (Solo) was a good experience with a learning curve. I took twice as many animals as I’d originally booked for. That said, I’m always looking forward to see different parts of RSA and now different countries in Africa. My list is dwindling, so my focus will be on big 5 and filling in more of the uncommon PG…

I’m certain there will be more Buff…

As to bird calls, I love the little Scops owl calling from the trees at night while you sit around the campfire staring into the mopane coals...

Agreed. In your case, which type of elephant hunt are you trying to do more of...exportable, non-exportable, tuskless, etc? I will be doing more "non-trophy" primarily with some tuskless and exportable mixed in over the years.

Problem animals..non-trophy and trophy if economy allow..

For me, it's hard to imagine a trip without some kind of DG on the menu. I find myself taking incidental PG that is above average but ONLY if I'm not on tracks for DG. I just keep coming back for mostly buff and elephant and my 2 trips booked for next year will continue that trend. I love the tracking of DG and the multiple stalks where the wind changes and you start over again...or you get close and there's no shot...and you keep thinking about the next opportunity to get close. I was also surprised how much I enjoyed stalking big crocs around the weeds and water's edge this year. I find that more enjoyable than baiting. I will do that again next year as well. I could find myself addicted to the long walks after big eland but I'm trying to resist that siren's call after taking what might have been a top 10 Livingstone's this year. I'm also trying to avoid the collector's itch for other spiral horns...that's a long expensive road and I have some nice ones but don't need that itch!

It's nice to hear though what draws regulars back to Africa. Sometimes it's the kudu...sometime the eland...sometimes the warthog...what draws you back and you want to get one every time? What is it about that species that speaks to you? Also curious to hear what is calling to you but you are resisting like my comments above? What's pulling on you?
Buffalo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBCAdriana

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek