AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Canada (Sask, BC, NWT, Nunavut), US (NY, PA, TX, CO, NE, SD, ID, AK)
Several years ago, I bought a cheap pair of shooting sticks. On an elk hunt last year I broke part of the head. Fortunately, I can't get a replacement piece. (Yeah, I really loved them - not.)

I want to get a new set of sticks - tripod. Which brand do you recommend? I'm aware of Bog Pod and Trigger Stick. Any others to consider?

We have two sets..

We picked up a set of cabelas branded sticks (tripod) a few years ago.. they are a little bit less expensive than the primos trigger sticks, bog pods, or other common brands.. and a little less sturdily built.. but, honestly they have been great.. we've had no problem out of them at all.. they are lighter in weight than other options which has been nice when toting them all over the deer and pig woods at times.. and they are still rigid enough and sturdy enough to provide a solid shooting platform.. I've been very happy with them..

https://www.cabelas.com/product/INNOPOWER-CABELAS-SHOOTING-STICKS/2580192.uts?slotId=0

We also picked up a primos trigger stick tripod a few months ago.. so far they have only been on one hunt (we used them in a turkey blind).. so I dont have a whole lot of experience with them yet.. but they seem to be well built and have worked as advertised so far..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 11.26.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 11.26.28 AM.png
    874.9 KB · Views: 403
Last edited by a moderator:
In 2013 I bought a couple of sets of the Cabelas sticks. I really liked them and so did my PH. I left them with him. Fast forward to 2017 and I got a couple more pair after leaving him the replacement ones I bought after returning in 2013. I left those with him and his dad. They really like and use them all the time for clients. So I order 2 more in 2017. The latest ones are the "new and improved" model. I do not like them. The part that cradled the rifle is shaped different and is hard rubber. It also does not come off so you can put a spotting scope on them. I cannot get any of the old model. They are sold out.
Get Bog-Pods is my suggestion.

I also have Primos sticks and like them. The downside is they cannot be packed in my check-in luggage for travel to Africa. They are to long and my rifle case is already full. I like them for local hunting.

I have bi-pod and Tri-pods in both brands. I use 2 pair of bi-pods when hunting Africa. One for the rifle and one(not opened up) under my elbow. Made for MUCH more accurate shooting since I was much more steady. Really helps when shot are over 300 yards. I could use a mono-pod under the elbow but the bi-pod works and is better when I leave them for the PH/outfitter.

If you practice with them enough, the Primos Polecat, formally Stoneypoint, tripod rocks. Nothing is more stable. The third leg can be detached and used as a monopod/walking stick as well. Only down side is if you change from a standing position, to sitting or kneeling quickly they will take a few seconds to adjust depending on the height change.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/primo...MI08C5lprW2wIVSgOGCh3syg5DEAkYAyABEgKptPD_BwE

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 1.18.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 1.18.33 PM.png
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 348
I hate my Big Pod. Too slow to adjust and not real stable. Love my Promos trigger sticks. Also have the Polecat which is rock solid but you can't get swivel with them.

This may not be helpful . . . but I've tried a lot of different brands, and nothing has beaten three pieces of bamboo lashed together with a piece of old inner tube.

The best shooting sticks are simple, easy to deploy, impossible to break, and don't have too much (if any) flex in them. Most of the ones you can buy fall down on two or more of these . . .

Worst is flex. Sticks need to be solid when you put an 8 or 9 lb gun on them, and then maybe have to move around a bit.

Simple is next. I get that it's nice to have sticks which take down to a small package, but after a little bit of use, and some dust or sand getting into the mechanisms. They stop working. Full size sticks don't.

I have a set of Primos Trigger Sticks tripod. The tall ones designed for standing. I like the fact that they can be spread out and lowered enough to be used in seating or kneeling position. For me they are fairly rigid and stable. Very quickly to adjust. My first set I left in RSA as a gift to the PH as he liked them very much. I was lucky to replace them right away at a discounted price since Primos came out with a newer and bulkier version.

However, a PH in Namibia had Primos sticks as well and he advised me to keep the (very fine) sand away from them or learn how to take them apart for cleaning. He learned the hard way. So far I had no problem with none of them, but I’m not using them as much as he does either.

Reactions: ack
I have the Cabelas sticks and the work very well. You simply have to adjust 5hem to your comfort in advance.

I have been using the Bog Pod sticks for several years now and they work very well for me. I have a regular set and a shorter "tactical" set that works very well in a sitting or kneeling position.

Attachments

• Screenshot (68).png
    Screenshot (68).png
    598.4 KB · Views: 320
Last edited by a moderator:
Primos - Jim Shokey tripod, gen 2, or gen 3.

We’ve used quite a few and find the trigger sticks rarely last longer than a few weeks here. The dust and shaking on the back jams the mechanisms up. I love the Vanguard sticks as they’re hardy and can be lowered to be used in a sitting position. That don’t work on a trigger system and have several clips to adjust them.

This may not be helpful . . . but I've tried a lot of different brands, and nothing has beaten three pieces of bamboo lashed together with a piece of old inner tube.

The best shooting sticks are simple, easy to deploy, impossible to break, and don't have too much (if any) flex in them. Most of the ones you can buy fall down on two or more of these . . .

Worst is flex. Sticks need to be solid when you put an 8 or 9 lb gun on them, and then maybe have to move around a bit.

Simple is next. I get that it's nice to have sticks which take down to a small package, but after a little bit of use, and some dust or sand getting into the mechanisms. They stop working. Full size sticks don't.

Marketing of gadgetry is big business. I couldn't agree more with above. KISS has proven itself time and again for me over the years for such things. I have shot off all manner of sticks- mostly for practice but some in Africa for hunting. The best by far for me are simple bamboo or any one of a number of native (stiff) hardwood spp. rods bound by inner tube. They are relatively quiet (don't go 'clank' or 'tink') are stable, durable, simple, inexpensive, adaptable in the field and are easily replaced or fixed in the field. A properly made traditional inner tube bound set can even be spread all the way open and used when in a sitting position- based on first hand experience. Also, I hear about the usefulness of the swivel U or V on the top of some "modern" tech sticks. Well, my experience with these is that when placing the stock into the U invariably the swivel has shifted some side ways and you have look down and fiddle with it to get it positioned right before getting on the sticks. The need to swivel while in the sticks seems to be a "straw man" argument. There is quite a bit of lateral "swivel" allowance even in a set of traditional inner tube bound sticks. I have never had to swivel much when in the sticks when ready to shoot anyway. And if the direction to shoot has changed much... shuffling around, even in a 45 degree arc while still resting in the sticks, works better on paper than in practice me thinks :)

I have two sets of the Africa Sporting Creations sticks. The first one I bought were wood and the second set is carbon fiber. The wood ones were sent back for re-finishing, and will be on display in the retirement house (hopefully several years from now) and the carbon fiber will now be used. That said, what I found of interest at the SAAM school, they use Bog Pod if you don't bring your own. However, they will work with what ever you bring. What they did suggest for my sticks, was to mount a bipod on the gun and hold the bipod leg and the stick leg together for support.

These also look interesting, but some adapters require some modification to the stock. Sentinel Tripod. www.Javelinbipod.com

Last edited:

Is it possible for anyone to post a picture of this kind of set-up?
I've made some for practice on three 6' lengths of round garden stakes using a tripod lash. However, it seems that using an inner tube will be more flexible and be easier to adjust.
What kind of knot/lash do you use with an inner tube? Is it a bicycle tube that is cut lengthwise? And how do you cut it (not with what, rather what design?).
Thank you.

Is it possible for anyone to post a picture of this kind of set-up?
I've made some for practice on three 6' lengths of round garden stakes using a tripod lash. However, it seems that using an inner tube will be more flexible and be easier to adjust.
What kind of knot/lash do you use with an inner tube? Is it a bicycle tube that is cut lengthwise? And how do you cut it (not with what, rather what design?).
Thank you.
Just search for "DIY shooting sticks tripod". You'll find articles and videos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg