Which rifle would you use

On your #1 that type of 2 round carrier will work with practice. I hold 1 round between the fingers of my left hand. When I shoot as I reach the apex of the recoil I am already opening the lever on the action and the round will almost go over my shoulder, as I am coming back down my left hand comes forward and shoves the second round in the chamber and close the action. and you are back on target. The work the same pulling the 3rd round out of your two round carrier.

I would load 4 dummy rounds and practice in your back yard till you can do it with your eyes closed if you decide on the 450/400.

But the most important shot as many have mentioned is that first shot:P Robin Hood:
 
I'd use the #1
 
Both calibers are great have killed many buffs with both, but .450-400 Just puts a smile on my face!
 
Very true so would I but that said if no double available a Ruger #1 in 450-400 second choice
 
From what I have seen and read, I don't think any shot placement guarantees an anchored buffalo.
 
Vote for the No. 1. It is just got classy and refined written all over it. Once you have done it with that, then go take the Ruger out after another buff! (y)
 
Late to the party...but seeing as I am taking a No. 1 in 450/400 to Zimbabwe next year for Cape Buffalo, you know my pick!
 
Late to the party...but seeing as I am taking a No. 1 in 450/400 to Zimbabwe next year for Cape Buffalo, you know my pick!
What about the new double [emoji41]
 
If you want to do it with class, bring the No. 1. If you want to take a pragmatic approach, bring the Alaskan.
 
I have a #1 in .458 Lott that I was going to use on my first buff. I was "talked out" of using it and got a Ruger Alaskan in .416 Ruger. It worked great on the buff, kudu, warthog, Impala, two wildebeest, zebra and waterbuck. I also took a .375 H&H with which I took a bushbuck and two Impala.
In retrospect, I'm glad I took the guns I did, but I should have just stuck with the #1. I love 'em.
Bottom line... Take 'em both. Use the .450/400 for the buff and the .375 for everything else.
 
In which case you would not need the 3 > 1.
I have turned both lungs on a coyote to jelly with a .308 at 30 yards several times. Sometimes they fall over, sometimes they trot off like nothing is wrong just to expire up to 150 yards later.
That is a 30 lb K9. My Dad tells the story of a mule deer he shot in AZ with a .270 Winchester. The deer was already spooked, but ran for 200 yards with no heart. Sometimes animals just don’t realize they are dead yet.


Look up the Miami FBI shootout. One of the suspects got shot with a 9mm very early in the fight. In the opinion of the coroner, the guy would have died even if shot in the OR. He still too about 15 minutes to die and took several FBI agents with him.
Nothing short of a CNS hit is a sure thing for DRT
 
Final product for my ruger no.1 450/400. This is fast and does not jam like some reworked bolt actions have.
0601181729.jpg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,343
Messages
1,573,544
Members
169,758
Latest member
LaureneSlo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top