Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
Trying to decide which to use on my next buff hunt. The 375 ruger Alaskan or the no.1 in 450/400.
0406181446.jpg

One vote for the #1

I'd vote for Alaskan, for quicker follow up shots

I finally got a leupold 1.5x5 vx3i for the ruger and put the weaver 1x3 on the no.1. Honestly I like the 1x on the weaver can shoot it with both eyes open.

450/400(y) Great caliber! And a very cool rifle:cool:

The number 1

450/400...

The number 1 with the understanding that you will have to practice allllllooooottttt with your second shot follow up. I can shot two shots as fast with a number one and I can with a bolt gun, 3 shots the bolt is faster. It requires a steady hand and good nerves to us a single on DG. so PRACTICE till it is second nature. And most important get buy in from your PH well in advance. Discuss your desire to use a single so that he is mentally prepared for a DG hunt with your choice of rifles.

Definitely the 450/400!

450/400 for me! Working out the manual of arms on a 9.3x74r. It is a kinder recoil. I will have reloading down before I start getting kicked around.

450/400 without a doubt!

I'd vote for Alaskan, for quicker follow up shots

After a good first shot with the 450/400 no quick follow up shots will be required.

The 450/400 will also allow you you much better penetration on a frontal shot than the 375 H&H due to higher momentum value and the ability to overcome the "trampoline effect" encountered on such shots.

450/400 is just a classic, superb performing buffalo cartridge.

After a good first shot with the 450/400 no quick follow up shots will be required.

The 450/400 will also allow you you much better penetration on a frontal shot than the 375 H&H due to higher momentum value and the ability to overcome the "trampoline effect" encountered on such shots.

450/400 is just a classic, superb performing buffalo cartridge.
The 450/400 like the 400 grain A-Frames. I reload them to a little over 2200fps.

I'd take the 450/400 as well, simply because it is the ballistic twin of the 404 Jeffery I'd be taking if I were going after Buffalo. Like IvW said but paraphrased, make the first shot count. But just in case Murphy shows up I'd take a page out of AZDAVE's book and practice reloading quickly. I'd suggest you make up some dummy rounds i.e. inert so you can practice. I made some up for my son Art Lambart II to use with a No.1 in 416 Rigby. He did say it is much faster reloading the No.1 without a scope than with it.

Prefer the caliber of the #1 for sure, but I'd heed Dave's advice closely to practice for as quick a follow up as I could.

which rifle can you fire a second shot off faster with? use that rifle.

things could go well and your buffalo will lay down shortly after the first shot... or things could go wrong and you will need to quickly shoot the animal multiple times.

-matt

Your 450-400 sure looks nice, but I'd tend to take a reliable repeater, just in case...

The 450/400 like the 400 grain A-Frames. I reload them to a little over 2200fps.

Great choice, you will need nothing more, ballistically and performance wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you