Which rifle do we crown as the best looking ever?

Americans were never very good at geography. They speak French in both places, don’t they? :)

You’re right, not Liege, St. Etienne. Similar bouquet engraving patterns. I like them very much. Back to @Daniel Cary ’s question about action, in light of it being a French gun it does give a bit higher probability to a Brevex action rather than a Prechtl.

No worries :) go ask a few Europeans to locate Ohio, Tennessee or Massachusetts on the US map, there will be some weird answers too :D

You are right about the language. In Belgium the north, Flanders (where I’m from) speaks Dutch. The south, Wallonia (where Liège is located) speaks French.

No worries :) go ask a few Europeans to locate Ohio, Tennessee or Massachusetts on the US map, there will be some weird answers too :D

You are right about the language. In Belgium the north, Flanders (where I’m from) speaks Dutch. The south, Wallonia (where Liège is located) speaks French.
Was told at one stage by a New York Lady that Australia is in the middle of Europe; had to explain otherwise, and that she was thinking of Austria, Hitler's birthplace.

Americans were never very good at geography. They speak French in both places, don’t they? :)

You’re right, not Liege, St. Etienne. Similar bouquet engraving patterns. I like them very much. Back to @Daniel Cary ’s question about action, in light of it being a French gun it does give a bit higher probability to a Brevex action rather than a Prechtl.
Nice to see your expert knowledge here rookhawk. I would say that its a Prechtl though. If for no other reason, the bolt handle is different from the Brevex I`ve seen and the Brevex is made of hardened crome moly steel which makes them unsuited for engraving. The steel on the Brevex actions are too hard. I have this in writing from Rigby themselves. It can of course be from Rigbys own "inhouse" hardening? I would`nt know.

Know,, about Americans and geography,,,I`m immediately recalling Kelly Pickler at the show "smarter than a 5th grader. With an insane southern draw saying..."Budapecht...in Europe...huh...??? I thawwt Europe was a country...??hmmm?? Hungary.....??? NOW,,,I` HEARD abowt TURKEY...haha thats so great:D

But its not just Americans. Ran into a girl in Eccles, England once, she thought I had a funny accent, so I say I`m from Norway..."huh..?? No way..?)))) haha yes,,,taken into account how our elected moroons run things I think its most definitely right:D Spot on!

This thread could go on forever; so many glorious Goodies out there, and our opinions differ ...

Its like arguing over which one is pretty in the SI swimsuit issue. Almost all of them have been reasonable choices and we’re left to argue if blondes or brunettes are better.

Nice to see your expert knowledge here rookhawk. I would say that its a Prechtl though. If for no other reason, the bolt handle is different from the Brevex I`ve seen and the Brevex is made of hardened crome moly steel which makes them unsuited for engraving. The steel on the Brevex actions are too hard. I have this in writing from Rigby themselves. It can of course be from Rigbys own "inhouse" hardening? I would`nt know.

Know,, about Americans and geography,,,I`m immediately recalling Kelly Pickler at the show "smarter than a 5th grader. With an insane southern draw saying..."Budapecht...in Europe...huh...??? I thawwt Europe was a country...??hmmm?? Hungary.....??? NOW,,,I` HEARD abowt TURKEY...haha thats so great:D

But its not just Americans. Ran into a girl in Eccles, England once, she thought I had a funny accent, so I say I`m from Norway..."huh..?? No way..?)))) haha yes,,,taken into account how our elected moroons run things I think its most definitely right:D Spot on!

Very good insights on the bolt handle shape regarding brevex 400 versus prechtl.

I was doing a lot of digging and verified that brevex never advertised a magnum that was a square bridge. Prechtl certainly does.

What intimidates me about such proclamations and generalities is that I was browsing one of the German catalogs, either EAW or Rechnagle, and on one of the pages were square bridges. Just bridges. You braise them right onto the round action rings! That gave me great pause. Wow, could somebody make an expensive mistake buying a gun that was converted to square bridge via basically a similar piece as a barrel band swivel or two.

Caveat emptor can’t be emphasized enough! The more I learn, the more ignorant I realize I am.

Great info on the case hardness of the brevex being non-conducive to engraving. I did not know that either and that’s a great bit of info to consider when looking at best magnum actions! Thank you for the education.

Very good insights on the bolt handle shape regarding brevex 400 versus prechtl.

I was doing a lot of digging and verified that brevex never advertised a magnum that was a square bridge. Prechtl certainly does.

What intimidates me about such proclamations and generalities is that I was browsing one of the German catalogs, either EAW or Rechnagle, and on one of the pages were square bridges. Just bridges. You braise them right onto the round action rings! That gave me great pause. Wow, could somebody make an expensive mistake buying a gun that was converted to square bridge via basically a similar piece as a barrel band swivel or two.

Caveat emptor can’t be emphasized enough! The more I learn, the more ignorant I realize I am.

Great info on the case hardness of the brevex being non-conducive to engraving. I did not know that either and that’s a great bit of info to consider when looking at best magnum actions! Thank you for the education.
Very good!
I`ve read somewhere that Brevex factory was set up with the old original Mauser Oberndorf machinery after WWII, so who knows? If they had the old Mauser machinery they probably had the means to make square bridge versions. But then I guess Rigby would have ordered it for their Big Game model (I`ve seen 3 of them, non with square bridge). Very interesting to know though if there were built any Brevex 400 versions with square bridge. It is also a question if you can make soldering etc stick on such a surface..almost like glass. I`m an Oberndorf Mauser fanatic, but if anyone asked me who I`d prefer...ehh both please..;p They are said to be a gunsmiths nightmare, braking and wearing down tools.

There is (was) also an Eccles, California;

Now, that's just purrrrty no matter which hand one uses.

You lefties should check out Dakota Model 10 custom single shots. Very attractive guns that have a tang safety and are full ambidextrous. I’ve seen them from economy models at $3500 all the way up to best Guns prolifically engraved for over $20,000. A lid for every pot.

A53831CF-EBB0-4DBD-A33F-D01D9D048DCF.jpeg

Good morning gentlemen,
very good topic (y) and we could see many great contenders.
However I must say I am a bit confused :confused:. Maybe I missed some post, but haven't noticed any rifle in mannlicher style/full stock ..... really no love here for the classic looks of full stocks? :D

1654758900618.png
1654758943345.png
1654758992047.png

Last edited by a moderator:
First I will say that I do not own any of the rifles I'm about to mention...they are but a dream.

Single shot...Fanzoj Kipplauf KB-1
1654947414032.png

Bolt action...Heym Martini Express
1654947479931.png

Double rifle...Krieghoff Classic Big Five
1654947742708.png

All great rifles.. But man, that single shot!! :love:
Yeah, Fanzoj might know what they are doing.

I discovered them a few years ago when I was researching single shot kipplauf rifles like the Blaser K95, Krieghoff Hubertus and the Heym Kipplauf. All of these being much more in my price range than the Fanzoj...:rolleyes: But man are they a good looking rifle.

Yeah, Fanzoj might know what they are doing.

I discovered them a few years ago when I was researching single shot kipplauf rifles like the Blaser K95, Krieghoff Hubertus and the Heym Kipplauf. All of these being much more in my price range than the Fanzoj...:rolleyes: But man are they a good looking rifle.
Agreed. The Krieghoff Essencia is a looker as well

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 4.36.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 4.36.10 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 4.36.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 4.36.12 PM.png
    582.2 KB · Views: 58

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!