Which country and where for big Buffalo?

Dear JetJockey

We offer Cape buffalo Safaris in Tanzania in the Selous Game Reserve. We have two areas adjacent to each offer you more opportunity. We have taken several 40+ Cape buffalo in our area.
Pictures attached

Thank you.

33.jpeg
LR 3 SELOUS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So the easy answer is you can kill a 40"+ buffalo just about anywhere in Africa. But it sounds like you want a truly wild area hunt. So to me that starts to narrow it down to Tanzania, Mozambique, Namibia (Caprivi Area), and Zimbabwe. How much do you want to spend? Looks like you are going to save up for 5 to 6 years before you go. The most expensive (speaking generally excluding super good deals) will be Tanzania (you can take multiple Buffalo on license) and the Caprivi. If I could afford either of those trips I would go every year. They are wild, remote, and worth every penny you spend. There are several good outfitters on this site that could help you out in those areas. Next money wise I would look at Mozambique, also wild and remote. For me I would point you to Zimbabwe (disclaimer I have taken a nice old Buffalo in Zim) Also very wild and can be remote with a ton of good operators and different options and maybe the most affordable. You have a lot of options do your research and enjoy the planning. "The (buffalo hunting) world is your oyster".

Not a good picture but wow. That’s a dream animal in my opinion

View attachment 549267
This is the outfitter I was going to recommend. I shared a plane with him on the way back out of
tanzania and his scrapbook included near 50" monsters. What I liked best about them was how the horn was BIG AROUND ALL THE WAY OUT toward the tips! Many more massive than even the great photo above from Maswa. His area at the time was Rungwa, but I can't narrow it down more than that. You could do worse than Tanzania genetics! Still...we seem to be killing off those genetics by shooting soft boss bulls that haven't even bred yet. sad. But in Tanz, better get ready to make that credit card smoke!

Glad to hear of monsters in Botswana....especially since Johan Calitz made his business shooting average but CLOSE IN buff there in the swamps. What did he call them again?...

Zambia, Luangwa valley northern blocks.
Regularly produce good quality mature buff.

Pete, my first Safari was the Northernmost block on the Upper Luangwa. At the time, Mike Heath had it and the adjacent block. I believe that the camps were Chikwa and Lundu. There were huge buff up there. Who has those areas now?

A simple thing would be to contact Rowland Ward or the SCI and ask where the last 40 buffaloes came from.
That should give the most concrete picture.
Everything else is just poking around in the fog.

A simple thing would be to contact Rowland Ward or the SCI and ask where the last 40 buffaloes came from.
That should give the most concrete picture.
Everything else is just poking around in the fog.
Pointless....OP wants a 40"+ bull with a certain shape not a record breaking bull.....
Look at the sci top bulls....you will be dissapointed.....some still have milk teeth....

Pointless....OP wants a 40"+ bull with a certain shape not a record breaking bull.....
Look at the sci top bulls....you will be dissapointed.....some still have milk teeth....
Nevertheless, you can get the best idea of the area from which the strong come.
When an area puts out 20 (out of a hundred) good ones ,I am on a different page than when
somewhere a lonely buller shines exceptionally.

Pete, my first Safari was the Northernmost block on the Upper Luangwa. At the time, Mike Heath had it and the adjacent block. I believe that the camps were Chikwa and Lundu. There were huge buff up there. Who has those areas now?
Those are the blocks that came to mind when I posted. Round into chifunda you will see buff that are what the OP is looking for.
I believe those blocks are not open currently. Perhaps they will be open by next year.
I know Mike and his son Ross.
Mike actually knew my dad from their younger days.

Glad to hear of monsters in Botswana....especially since Johan Calitz made his business shooting average but CLOSE IN buff there in the swamps. What did he call them again?...

"Classic bulls" maybe? I did like his shows although they tended to be repeats of all his other hunting but he does have a certain style!

"Classic bulls" maybe? I did like his shows although they tended to be repeats of all his other hunting but he does have a certain style!
Wait, was it Quatali bulls he called them?

Wait, was it Quatali bulls he called them?

Kwatale means ‘old bull’ in the local dialect. Perhaps that is what he was calling them?

Image1691186312.255645.jpg

Here’s an old Botswana bull. This was actually the last bull shot before hunting closed in Botswana.

I would like to hunt Tanzania for buffalo.

I know nothing about it, and have no connections, but wide open spaces, spotting and stalking, really appeal to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KayleighMe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.