AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, SCI Life
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Northwest & Eastern Cape), Namibia, Nevada, Newfoundland, Zambia
I am taking two rifles on my hunt in April with Namibia Safari Corporation. They are:
New Ultra Light Arms M24 .338-06
Ruger Guide Gun .338 Win Mag.
The NULA will be loaded with a 210-grain Barnes TTSX at about 2775 fps and I hope to utilize this rifle for Springbok, Gemsbok, Warthog and Spotted Hyena. This bullet is accurate out of this rifle.
The Ruger will be used for Hartmann's Zebra and Eland.

The bigger question is what bullet weight should I use? I currently have an adequate load with a 250-grain Barnes TSX which shoots five rounds into 1.25" or less at about 2675 FPS. The 225-grain Barnes TTSX shoots under 1 MOA at about 2780 fps. I lean towards heavier bullets for any given game.

What would the learned gentlemen (and ladies) pick for a Cape Eland bull?

Areaonereal

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Why take two rifles of such similar ballistics? I have used a 338 06 in Africa and had no problem with zebra or wildebeast using a 210 gr Barnes TTSX. I have since used a 30 06 and see no difference in DRT over the 338 06. Take the one rifle you shoot the best with and do not overthink the subject..a good bullet in the right spot will do the job on an Eland from either....enjoy you trip. I would feel totally comfortable using a '06 on an Eland with a 200 or 220 grain Nosler, Swift, Northfork, Woodleigh or similar bonded bullet if I keep my shots under 200 yds m/l.

billc

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
Both of those guns and bullet combos will work well on eland. No need to switch anything if your gun shoots them in that size group. I have used a 300 win mag with 180 ttsx and both eland ran less then 80yds. Your combo will do the job with the bullet placed at the right spot.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Barnes like speed, choose the 225gr, which also by your post is slightly more accurate and go hunt.

postoak

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
I have a "thing" about the ought-six based cartridges. I have a .25-06, a .270, a .280, a .30-06, a .338-06, and a .35 Whelen. Oddly on whitetail deer size game they are all about the same. I took the .35 Whelen on my first plains game hunt.

That said, I would use your .338 WM on eland and I would use the 250 grain bullet.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Either option will be just fine!

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Yep took my eland with my 300 WSM shooting 180 grain Barnes TSX ammo. No issues. Good luck my friend.

Vanguard2279

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, SCI Life
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Northwest & Eastern Cape), Namibia, Nevada, Newfoundland, Zambia
Gentlemen:
Thank you for the input. There are several reasons that I am taking two rifles and it's not just because I want to.

Ammo availability. I have yet to lose my ammo during transit, but it is something that I am always concerned about. This is a bigger issue when airlines require you to send ammo as a separate item. If something does happen, I doubt I will find .338-06 anywhere. I will most likely find .338 WM in Windhoek. While I don't mean to sound paranoid, I did show up in Newfoundland without the Ruger because somebody neglected(?) to put it on the plane from Vegas to Toronto. It eventually showed up, but it cost me 3/4 day of hunting.

I can't even come close to the .338 WM's velocity with the 250-grain Barnes in the .338-06. I'm somewhere 200-250 fps slower. When this odyssey began, I was going to take the .338-06 for myself and my .30-06 (a veteran of two safaris) for a friend. Eland wasn't on the table then. I used a 180-grain Hornady GMX quite successfully on a Burchell's Zebra in April. When the friend had to back out, I added the Eland and wanted a heavy bullet which would give me adequate penetration on such a large animal.

As I understand from people who have hunted with NSC, the shots can run particularly long. I'm zeroing both rifles at 200 yards and then every range session will be shooting off the sticks.

postoak

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
Makes sense.

The speeds you can get with a 250 grain bullet and various .33s are:

.318 Westly Richards - 2400 fps

.338-06 A Square - 2450 fps

.333 Jeffery - 2500 fps

.338 Win Mag - 2700 fps

.340 Weatherby - 2950 fps

.338 RUM - 2950 fps

.338 Lapua - 2950 fps

.338-378 Weatherby - 3050 fps

Vanguard2279

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, SCI Life
Hunted
I am a little vague about velocities for a sad reason. I have a Magnetospeed chronograph. It's great. I love it. However, one day I nicked the end of it. It immediately began registering previously chrono'd loads 30-70 fps slower than they had been previously. Some loads I have to estimate like the 250-grain Barnes and the 210-grain TTSX. I just received a new Magnetospeed and will be taking it to the range this weekend.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
For Eland I used a .338WM with Remington 225gr Swift AFrame

1dirthawker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
vanguard,

i would use the 250's on the eland, and make the first shot perfect. if the 250's you are shooting will not operate at 2700 fps, you are going to be shooting too far. my suggestion is, don't.

have fun!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
My eland ran about ten yards and stopped. He was dead on his feet shot through the heart......he just didn’t know it. The rifle was a 300 WinMag with 180 grain Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip ammo. Either of Your 338 roles will be just fine.

Divernhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
Hunted
USA, RSA
I used a 338win mag with 225gr Swift A-Frames on both of my trips. I took an Eland/Zebra/Kudu/Black Wildebeest and more on this trip with it. I used a 257W with 120gr A-Frames and 100gr TTSX bullets for smaller stuff this time.
First trip I used the same 338 and load for everything.
Both trips all were one shot kills except for 2 animals that I did a poor shot placement. Follow up shot took care of them.

To be honest I like the A-Frames better.

Rick Cox

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Armstrong Fish and Game Club
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
I am taking two rifles on my hunt in April with Namibia Safari Corporation. They are:
New Ultra Light Arms M24 .338-06
Ruger Guide Gun .338 Win Mag.
The NULA will be loaded with a 210-grain Barnes TTSX at about 2775 fps and I hope to utilize this rifle for Springbok, Gemsbok, Warthog and Spotted Hyena. This bullet is accurate out of this rifle.
The Ruger will be used for Hartmann's Zebra and Eland.

The bigger question is what bullet weight should I use? I currently have an adequate load with a 250-grain Barnes TSX which shoots five rounds into 1.25" or less at about 2675 FPS. The 225-grain Barnes TTSX shoots under 1 MOA at about 2780 fps. I lean towards heavier bullets for any given game.

What would the learned gentlemen (and ladies) pick for a Cape Eland bull?
I think I'd take one gun and worry more about my boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denzel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J